Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
I've never bought Brokaw's characterization here. There were a lot of great people from the Great Depression and WWII era, no question. But consider how they treated they're own children during the Vietnam War (who "the greatest generation" had sent to that place). Consider how they treated women and minorities. Consider how they allowed Hitler to rise to power in the first place, giving him countries as he rose. Consider how they locked up their own fellow citizens by the thousands, for simply looking like one of their enemies. And then how they put men in a position to destroy our entire world with, essentially, the touch of a button.

They endured hardships, but no more so than the colonists who founded our country. They fought a tough war, and won, but no tougher than the wars before their time. But I don't blame people for buying into the idea of "the greatest generation," because they damn sure knew how to give themselves great press:

Agreed. Good old nostalgia, the past always seems better than the present and the future always seems worse.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Agreed. Good old nostalgia, the past always seems better than the present and the future always seems worse.
Right. And, the past has a funny way of being painted by those that choose to share the tale.

On topic; I am not an advocate for corporal punishment. I have not ever raised a hand (or any other whipping tool) to my children. But, I've come to understand I have taken more time to parent than the average mother today. My children are the greatest inconvenience to my schedule.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote