Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track > MotoGP

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
L8 Braker
Swollen Member

Thumbs down Official report - MotoGP racing sucks (in terms of competitiveness)

So, we talk a lot about the lack of close racing in MotoGP...Well, I was reading THIS ARTICLE, and this stat just blew my mind...

To this date, there have been 78 races in MotoGP using the 800cc bikes...Of all those races, 8 of them have been decided by one second or less :2eek

The writer of that article sites some possible reasons..
--the riders are as talented as ever, but it's the bikes that tether said talent
--Rossi is quoted as saying "With the 500s and even with the 990s you could come back from a mistake or a bad start, but with these 800s it is impossible. The bike’s limits are your limits"
--Rossi and Lorenzo have been speaking about how you can’t really make up for your bikes deficiencies...Try to push beyond those limits and your crash
--the two-stroke engines were not tethered by electronics... The only control over fuel delivery was in the wrist of the rider, not some complex of sensors and circuits
--the tires of old, good on the opening laps, lost grip and were prone to breaking loose over the final third of the race

So, I guess there's proof in the pudding that GP just dosen't have very competitive races often with these 800cc bikes...There aren't those races that we talk about again and again where the the race was won at the finish line instead of turn one of the race...

So, bring on the big bore engines, it's clearly time for a change...
L8 Braker is offline   Reply With Quote