Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #211
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
That's a nice 1911 ya got there. What's next on the list?
I dunno. Maybe something in a subcompact for carry duties if I ever get so inclined, but that's after I finish building the AR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblyopic View Post
That's a nice 1911 you got there G-Rex. how was it at the range?
Thanks. It shot very nice at the range. The trigger spring is alot ligher than my XDm, so it will take a little getting used to. It does feel like it's a smoother pull than my XDm though, and I like that, along with the weight. So far, I'm very pleased with the gun. The only thing I'm not pleased with is the cost of .45 ammo. LOL
Old 02-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #212
CasterTroy

Anyone here have a supressor?

If so...is it registered to YOU or to a "trust"?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #213
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Anyone here have a supressor?

If so...is it registered to YOU or to a "trust"?
I own 2 suppressors both are registered to me, not a trust. The trust option here in New Hampshire is usually used if the CLEO is opposed to signing off on the form 4.
Can I ask what you are thinking of using a can for? Caliber wise I mean.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #214
CasterTroy

Thinking mainly about .22

I've got a M&P 15-22 that's just screaming for one
Old 02-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #215
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Quote:
Thinking mainly about .22

I've got a M&P 15-22 that's just screaming for one
Your considerations should be how do you want to mount the can. If you plan to use it on only a rifle you might consider a QD .223 can they keep 22 even quieter and you have the option of using it on a 223 or 5.45x39. (I use a Gemtech Halo) On the other hand if you see yourself using it on a pistol a Gemtech Alpine , or Outback or Yankee Hill Machine Might (there are lots of other good ones too I just have had experience with these)
Price difference between a 22 can and a 223 can is ususally between $225 $275 For example I paid (before form 4 fees) $300 for my 22 can and $518 for my Halo
Keep in mind Suppressed weapons are NEVER "Hollywood Quiet"
Old 02-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #216
CasterTroy

Gemtech Alpine was what I had interest in....but I WOULD like to consider it on the 5.56 as well......both are rifle only applications.

I know on the 15-22 I would hear the action more than the uncorking of the round. I've heard a Walther .22 with the Gemtech Alpine, and it really sounded like he was just racking the slide along with a rush of air similar to squeezing one of those baby snot suckers..... But I've never heard a suppressed 5.56 in the flesh. I'm real curious as to just HOW quiet you can get a 5.56/223 round. I've read in the 100 db range....which is still about as loud as popping a paper "lunch" bag. So not quite loud enough to really NEED ear protection.

Am I correct?
Old 02-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #217
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Quote:
Gemtech Alpine was what I had interest in....but I WOULD like to consider it on the 5.56 as well......both are rifle only applications.

I know on the 15-22 I would hear the action more than the uncorking of the round. I've heard a Walther .22 with the Gemtech Alpine, and it really sounded like he was just racking the slide along with a rush of air similar to squeezing one of those baby snot suckers..... But I've never heard a suppressed 5.56 in the flesh. I'm real curious as to just HOW quiet you can get a 5.56/223 round. I've read in the 100 db range....which is still about as loud as popping a paper "lunch" bag. So not quite loud enough to really NEED ear protection.

Am I correct?
With the 5.56 you get a sharp report, I would describe it as being comparable to a loud . 22 round Keep in mind you get the the sound of the round going Hypersonic. and unless you build an upper specifically for it a AR barrel will not stabilize a subsonic 223 round and if you try and shoot is you will inevitably get a baffle strike.
I run My Outback on a Walther G22 and P22. There is no question the Halo quiets it even further. (BTW a little squirt of KY Jelly rolled around inside of the can quiets them even further then squirt in some wd40 when you are done)
Suppressed weapons require cleaning far more often than there free breathing counterparts. Also you get more gas back in the chamber.
Ammo in the Suppressed 22 is going to be important. In none of my rigs is Remington Subsonic reliable. On top of that it is filthy.I much prefer Federal 40 grain Subsonic. Fiochi <sp> is popular with a lot of guys and in pistol length barrels Standard Velocity Winchester is pretty quiet and very reliable.
Hope this helps, shoot me an email if I can be of further help.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #218
CasterTroy

Will do...thanks a bunch!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #219
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Thanks. It shot very nice at the range. The trigger spring is alot ligher than my XDm, so it will take a little getting used to. It does feel like it's a smoother pull than my XDm though, and I like that, along with the weight. So far, I'm very pleased with the gun. The only thing I'm not pleased with is the cost of .45 ammo. LOL
I hear ya there, rounds have gotten so damned expensive in the past several years. Can't seem to goto the range without dropping a good $70-100 for rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
With the 5.56 you get a sharp report, I would describe it as being comparable to a loud . 22 round Keep in mind you get the the sound of the round going Hypersonic. and unless you build an upper specifically for it a AR barrel will not stabilize a subsonic 223 round and if you try and shoot is you will inevitably get a baffle strike.
I run My Outback on a Walther G22 and P22. There is no question the Halo quiets it even further. (BTW a little squirt of KY Jelly rolled around inside of the can quiets them even further then squirt in some wd40 when you are done)
Suppressed weapons require cleaning far more often than there free breathing counterparts. Also you get more gas back in the chamber.
Ammo in the Suppressed 22 is going to be important. In none of my rigs is Remington Subsonic reliable. On top of that it is filthy.I much prefer Federal 40 grain Subsonic. Fiochi <sp> is popular with a lot of guys and in pistol length barrels Standard Velocity Winchester is pretty quiet and very reliable.
Hope this helps, shoot me an email if I can be of further help.

Some great info in here. Thanks. I've been contemplating a suppressor as well.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #220
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Any folks w/ .50 Cal long guns out there???

Looking at doing some long range shooting, but don't really wish to pay the premium price for .338 Lapua/408/6.5mm, etc --- but also looking for something much better than your standard 308.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote