Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 07-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1
Default Loud colors save lives....

Alot of this confirms what we already know.

From the British medical journal...

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/reprint/328/7444/857.pdf

"— Wearing reflective clothing, a white or light coloured helmet, and using headlights during the day can reduce serious injuries or death from motorcycle crashes by up to one third, according to research from New Zealand in this week's BMJ.

The study included 463 motorcycle drivers involved in crashes leading to hospital treatment or death and a further 1,233 motorcycle drivers randomly selected from roadside surveys in the same region and time period.

Several factors including age, years of on-road riding experience, weather conditions and some risk taking behaviours (such as alcohol consumption) were taken into account.

Drivers wearing reflective or fluorescent clothing had a 37% lower risk of crash related injury than other drivers. Compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk, and daytime use of headlights was associated with a 27% lower risk.

There was no association between risk of crash related injury and the frontal colour of drivers' clothing or motorcycle.

Increasing the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, white or light coloured helmets, and daytime headlights are simple, cheap ways to increase the visibility of motorcycle riders on the roads and could considerably reduce motorcycle crash related injury and death, conclude the authors."

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
Shift
Just a Noob

Moto: 08 Green 6R

My bikes damn near neon green in the light and my leathers are white. People still don't see me.
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
itgirl
is in your head...

Moto: 04 kawasaki zx636, 08 HD xl1200n (nightster)

i guess it can't hurt to be flourescent. if only that's all it took to stay alive out there...

kim

www.facebook.com/itgirl25
itgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
jalaan1
orangina Zed

Moto: '12 Z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
My bikes damn near neon green in the light and my leathers are white. People still don't see me.

'heard that.
can't get any brighter than Kawi green and white leathers.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

I think that reflective vests/stripes work best at night, but as far as bright colors go, I've had people looking straight at me and proceed to change into my lane.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I call BS

The only reason why they see a decrease in accidents due to peeps where reflective stripes and all this other BS. Is cause these asshats are the old geezer BMW touring riders and they aren't out hot roddin or doing anything but putting down more miles. Therefore fuckin the % all to hell with the stupid fagitivly reflective clothing!

Ride like the cage is out to kill you like the nazi motherfuckers they are and you will do fine!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
WARputer
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2005 Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I think that reflective vests/stripes work best at night, but as far as bright colors go, I've had people looking straight at me and proceed to change into my lane.
I concur.....light colors and the reflective stuff helps at night. The one thing I've found that helps during the day is HID high beam....they can not miss you if you're blinding the shit out of them.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
rider76
Canyon Carver

Moto: looking for the next ride

Yes, the lady driving the minivan while, talking on the phone, drinking coffee and changing the dvd for her kid is public enemy #1.... I have encountered said enemy... not a pretty outcome
rider76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
WARputer
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2005 Hayabusa

And just for kicks...in 22 years of street riding, I've been hit twice ......both times were in broad daylight and both drivers were females.....
Old 07-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
Rider
Moto GP Star

I don't have any issue with visibility. My gear is red and people can see me a mile away. Yeah, I may look like a power ranger with my solid red helmet, but it's easy to see in the daylight. Fire engine red FTMFW.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote