Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 07-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes
Default moto gp tt leather jacket review

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...leather+jacket

rest of the pics are camfone pics. sue me.

i went with the silver and black, wasnt feeling the blue or red. bought it tuesday 2am, paid $108 including shipping, and it showed up today(friday) bout 11am.

packed nicely, no frills, but the box wasnt damaged or anything. open it up, and heres what you get

nice zippered garment bag for the closet. toss that aside, and time to inspect it, see if i got a deal or got ripped off....the stitching is perfect-not triple and quad stitched like my teknic suit is, but no defects, and its backstitched on all the major seams. the "silver" is more of a shiny gray, and the white is clean, no marks. leather is soft, no hanging threads on the outside.

it has ce armor in the shoulders and elbows, and the elbow armor extends to the forearm damn near to the wrist, but just a lil cheap back pad

fits perfect, based on newenoughs sizing, i bought a large. they say they run about half size small. sleeves are perfect, shoulders are perfect-i moved the armor just alil cuz it didnt feel right at 1st. now im ready to ride

now for the downsides-is motogp licensed, but made in china

the ad was for a model tt jacket, but its labeled as model battleax, but looks exactly like the tt jacket in the ad

it has removable ce armor, and the tags say how safe it is, has tags that say this garment is fitted with ce approved armor that conforms to whatever regulations(cant find the tag now, it had numbers on it)-but this gay lil label tell another story

"this garment is not considered personal protective equipment as defined in or within the scope of the personal protective equipment (ec directive) regulations 1992 (s.l. 1992/3139) and has therefore not been examined or tested in accordance with those regulations. no liability will be accepted by the manufacturer or supplier of this garment arising out of the garments not-compliance with such regulations"

wtf?

the way i read that, after re-examining the entire jacket, was this is motogp or whoever covering their asses. NO ONE mentioned this lil tag in any of the rave reviews ive read on the net, and other forums, and i dont have my teknic suit here to compare (im moving) but i dont see any weak spots in the design. i used to do upholstery, so i know my stitches.

also it doesnt say it didnt pass the test, only that it wasnt subjected to the test. so im slightly pissed that tag is there, but i look at it like this-it was 100bucks, it fits better/snugger than my other street jacket(other one is more of a cruiser style) its got ce armor, the other one didnt. its alot better than i expected for 100bucks (same price as my other jacket), its not a defect or abnormal version but alot worse than i would expect for the list price of $379. i got something better than what i had, without dipping into my custom leathers fund.

im gonna get a ce back pad for it and call it a day.

fit-10
finish-9
price-9
value-8 (tag bugs me)
performance-dont know, going riding now

MotoGP TT Jacket $121.47 - BikeBandit.com
MotoGP TT Jacket-Blue/Black $360.95 - ShopXR.com
MotoGP TT Jacket-Silver/Black $360.95 - ShopXR.com
newenough is sold out, but still shows pics
Old 07-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Carolina
Says it's time to ride

Moto: 2003 honda CBR 954/ 2011 Road King classic

Good deal and nice looking jacket. I'm sure everyone has that label stashed somewhere. No company is gonna set their selves up for a lawsuit because we crash.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
"this garment is not considered personal protective equipment as defined in or within the scope of the personal protective equipment (ec directive) regulations 1992 (s.l. 1992/3139) and has therefore not been examined or tested in accordance with those regulations. no liability will be accepted by the manufacturer or supplier of this garment arising out of the garments not-compliance with such regulations"
Funny about being a low brow peon, you learn a couple things along the way. Equipment that is sold as ppe must be certified as such and shown through testing to meet certain criteria and levels of absolute protection. Hard hats are a good example of a certified piece of ppe. They have been certified to provide complete protection against specific dangers to the part of the body they are designed for. A motorcycle jacket could never completely protect a rider from all the potential dangers associated with it's use and thus is not certified. Conversely, the armor in the sleeves and on the shoulder of your jacket HAS been tested and certified to protect you from the dangers it has been designed for,ie impacts and abrasion. Thus the CE rating on the ARMOR but not the entire jacket.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

good point tig, and thats what i figured, but i hadnt noticed it on any other jacket...but i also hadnt looked 4 it before. this was a really good deal, and thru the net, so i went over every inch of this jacket.

and after riding with it, i love it. riding fit is great, came home at about 1am last night without the liner in it, wasnt cold at all. i am in cali, but still. id recommend it