Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 12-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #21
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Yes, grabbing brakes will stand the bike up; but we're not talking about braking; we're talking about decreasing or increasing throttle (speed) mid-turn. You don't believe me? Next time you go for a ride find a nice, long constant radius turn, pick a constant speed, and then roll off the throttle without changing anything else; the bike will tighten up it's turning radius; and the converse is also true.

Don't take my word for it...go try it out.....
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #22
OTB
The Man

Default For the doubting Thomas

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/to...p?TOPIC_ID=311

And a little more math for high-speed turns:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=88999

And this paper, which is primarily concerns itself with the role of yaw inputs, but explains and models the 6 forces (not including rider position, which is actually a seventh parameter) in the complex role of turning a motorcycle.

http://www.dinamoto.it/DINAMOTO/8_on...ringtorque.htm
Old 12-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #23
CasterTroy

Look.....I paid this Asian enough to buy himself high for a month so I could pass physics III, and struggled enough with dynamics and earned a degree in Architectural Engineering to NEVER make provisions in life to EVER revisit complex dynamics/math

As long as YOU have it all figured out, I’m golden
Old 12-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #24
Speedracer42
Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Yes, grabbing brakes will stand the bike up; but we're not talking about braking; we're talking about decreasing or increasing throttle (speed) mid-turn. You don't believe me? Next time you go for a ride find a nice, long constant radius turn, pick a constant speed, and then roll off the throttle without changing anything else; the bike will tighten up it's turning radius; and the converse is also true.

Don't take my word for it...go try it out.....
Your theory is speed dependent. If you are going to call people out for making posts that are relevent to the track, then you need to clarify wtf you are talking about. Me, I don't do much street riding and don't care to. But I can assure you as I approach T1 at my home track from a terminal velocity of over 170mph and intiate turn in at over 100 if I roll off the throttle and leave it off the last thing that is gonna happen is that my turn will magically tighten. The bike won't like that at all.
Speedracer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #25
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/to...p?TOPIC_ID=311

And a little more math for high-speed turns:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=88999

And this paper, which is primarily concerns itself with the role of yaw inputs, but explains and models the 6 forces (not including rider position, which is actually a seventh parameter) in the complex role of turning a motorcycle.

http://www.dinamoto.it/DINAMOTO/8_on...ringtorque.htm

How come none of that takes into account weight transfer and suspension movement? It's always been my understanding that letting off the throttle upsets the suspension and loads the front wheel. The weight transfer and centrifugal force is what causes the bike to go wider.

As well, while decelerating, you're still carrying forward velocity which causes the bike to want to go to the outside of the corner. How would you transfer that force by decelerating ?
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #26
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer42 View Post
Your theory is speed dependent. If you are going to call people out for making posts that are relevent to the track, then you need to clarify wtf you are talking about. Me, I don't do much street riding and don't care to. But I can assure you as I approach T1 at my home track from a terminal velocity of over 170mph and intiate turn in at over 100 if I roll off the throttle and leave it off the last thing that is gonna happen is that my turn will magically tighten. The bike won't like that at all.
A. I'm not "calling out" anybody....and this is a street thread....last time I checked....

B. Read what a number of us here said about application (YES, it IS speed dependent...that's what we said...)....it's for the smooth coping with minor corrections on the STREET.......NOT WFO trackstuff. (Although the physics are still the same...but don't tell anybody I said so)
Old 12-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #27
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

When i want to tighten my line I simply hang my balls off the inside of the bike. My scrotum acts as a sail and....OOOO shuthefuckup!

Really guys why get heated. Lets just discuss. dont assume street or track. We all know you want a smooth increase in throttle from apex to exit on track. But we can all share without shouting down anyone elses ideals.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #28
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
How come none of that takes into account weight transfer and suspension movement? It's always been my understanding that letting off the throttle upsets the suspension and loads the front wheel. The weight transfer and centrifugal force is what causes the bike to go wider.

As well, while decelerating, you're still carrying forward velocity which causes the bike to want to go to the outside of the corner. How would you transfer that force by decelerating ?
Re: weight transfer. Remember what I said: using SMALL inputs...."Depending on the bike, when I'm droning down the road from point A to B, I rest my throttle-hand index finger on the throttle housing; I can then use the support to fine-tune both my speed and arc through turns without making gross changes.....the name of the game is SMOOOOTH......."

Slamming shut the throttle will definitely upset things, no doubt about it....we're talking FINE THROTTLE CONTROL... for fine adjustments. Not hobby-horsing down the road.

Argue with me if you want, but it is what it is....go TRY IT.

Cheeze. Same crap happened in the clutchless downshifting thread.....
Old 12-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #29
OTB
The Man

Now I remember why I shut up here for so long..............

I'll leave you all to debating how many angels on the head of a pin...see ya..........
Old 12-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #30
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I still love ya OTB. Got to point out platoniclly cause some on here dont know the difference.

I use my index finger on the brake lever bracket as a brace to keep my throttle smooth. But what we are discussing does work and way better than a major change like a countersteering input.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote