Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage
Default Planning Time!

Alright so lets try this again, I typed this big old long thread out and went to submit it and TWF booted me. But bare with me, this might get a little long. I know many of you have countless racing experience.

So I decided that next year is a good time to begin racing for a couple reasons. I will be done with school in a couple months, which will free up a ton of time. I will also be getting away from retail, which will free up those retail weekends that I am working now. So I think now is the best time to begin planning....

So I've been looking for a suitable series for some time now, but I dont want to have to travel to freaking New Jersey to get to a race either. So last week I was looking around and happened to run across this series. Its called the Moto Series, apparently part of the old Fasttrax Series.

http://www.motoseries.com/

It is a 10 weekend series held in Ohio, Penn, Indy, and Mich. The website says they use Mid-Ohio, Nelson Ledges, BeaveRun, Putnam Park, Gingerman, and Grattan. This year I think they only used 3 of the courses. They have the usual 1000 superbike, 1000 twins, 600s, 650s, multiple vintage classes, 3 hour endurance, and iron butt categories. Of course the 1000 and 600 sprint races run double headers every weekend.

So I figure the best place to start out is either the 650 twin or 600ss category. I'd just eventually sell the Honda and pick up a nice race ready bike. Something that is already safety wired and such. I'd just have to go out and get the suspension sprung for my weight.... I'm definitely not dani perdrosa . So I've been browsing Ohio-riders and found this beauty. The thing is already race ready, and nicely built. Has cam work, Yosh EMS, Yosh full system, Ohlins internals, Penske shock, etc. I was really ready to go out and buy this bike because it is reasonably priced. But I know its early and I can't jump on the first bike I see.

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=66686

So the Moto Series has a forum, and I thought I'd get on, introduce myself, ask a few questions. So I do, and this guy Ed is really helping me out and giving me advice. But he posed a question. Why not race the baby viffer??? Hmmm.... never really thought of that. It's already payed off, so I'd just have to go out and get some extra parts. But the first couple things that come to my mind are, A) The tires are TINY. Like rediculously small. Is there anything I can do? B) Can I find parts for the thing. I mean shit its like 4 years older than me!!! The guys seems pretty confindent that those old bikes are just as reliable. And I could race it in 3 categories a weekend. Vintage sport, vintage classic, and vintage light. I'm just not sure at this point. I know its early, but I really need to be ready come spring. The link to that thread is below.

http://www.motoseries.com/phpbb/view...php?f=10&t=649

So what does everybody think? Any ideas, concerns? Does this guy seem to know what he is doing, or no?
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

really you have 2 choices, replace your bike or buy a dedicated track bike.

A cheap used 600 trackbike can be found for $3k, sv650 maybe $2500, $2k for an ugly one.

Or if you stay with your bike and want better rubber, find out what wheels will swap in from other bikes, you might be surprised at how many of honda wheels are 1005 interchangeable, I don't know for your specific model, but many are. Not sure if swapping out the wheels might put you in a different class or get you out of the vintage classes. Really though, dont be surprised to find decent rubber for your bike as is, and any sport tire you buy now is as good or better than the race tires from the decade when your bike was made
Old 10-13-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

#1 im jealous, im hoping to do something similar in a few years. #2 the viffer could work, have you checked the rules on vintage though? i think hurricanes and f2's qualify for a couple of those. then again if you want the highest interchangeability of classes you can race in and the largest selection of parts the sv650 is really the only choice.
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

You got me thinking too Porkchop. I'd like to do a few track days / lessons, but don't have a good grasp on starting.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Or if you stay with your bike and want better rubber, find out what wheels will swap in from other bikes, you might be surprised at how many of honda wheels are 1005 interchangeable, I don't know for your specific model, but many are. Not sure if swapping out the wheels might put you in a different class or get you out of the vintage classes. Really though, dont be surprised to find decent rubber for your bike as is, and any sport tire you buy now is as good or better than the race tires from the decade when your bike was made
The stock tires on the vf are 100/90-16 and 110/90-18. I found this link about using hurricane tires and wheels, but it seems like a TON of work.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/1st-2nd-g...onversion.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
#1 im jealous, im hoping to do something similar in a few years. #2 the viffer could work, have you checked the rules on vintage though? i think hurricanes and f2's qualify for a couple of those. then again if you want the highest interchangeability of classes you can race in and the largest selection of parts the sv650 is really the only choice.
Why not get into it? Just get a cheap 500 or something. The guy on the site says that these vintage bikes last with a set of tires the whole year. Or maybe two if you are a little happy.

The rules arent very specific. They say "Vintage Classes - Pre 1998 production based motorcycles with age and model appropriate modifications only. Bikes are to represent the spirit of the time period. Modifications may be allowed so long as no part is newer than age limit of the class or petitioned. No Expert/Novice distinction."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrant View Post
You got me thinking too Porkchop. I'd like to do a few track days / lessons, but don't have a good grasp on starting.
You should join with me and my friend. I know that the tracks they use are quite a drive for you, but it would be fun. We are planning to register for the race school early. That way we can have our novice race liscense early. Then we can hit a track day before the season to dial in the bikes. They said its better if you can join with friends and have "teams", so you're not going in alone.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 10-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
The stock tires on the vf are 100/90-16 and 110/90-18. I found this link about using hurricane tires and wheels, but it seems like a TON of work.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/1st-2nd-g...onversion.html

Why not get into it? Just get a cheap 500 or something. The guy on the site says that these vintage bikes last with a set of tires the whole year. Or maybe two if you are a little happy.

The rules arent very specific. They say "Vintage Classes - Pre 1998 production based motorcycles with age and model appropriate modifications only. Bikes are to represent the spirit of the time period. Modifications may be allowed so long as no part is newer than age limit of the class or petitioned. No Expert/Novice distinction."

You should join with me and my friend. I know that the tracks they use are quite a drive for you, but it would be fun. We are planning to register for the race school early. That way we can have our novice race liscense early. Then we can hit a track day before the season to dial in the bikes. They said its better if you can join with friends and have "teams", so you're not going in alone.
98? Shit you could run an f3. Be more than competitive in vintage and prob not too far off in reg 600s. At amature level anyway.

As for me im working on it. My life needs some restructuring before I can jump into things.

Last edited by Dave; 10-13-2010 at 01:42 PM..
Old 10-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

what do i think? go for it and best of luck.. share your stories and pictures for sure..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
98? Shit you could run an f3. Be more than competitive in vintage and prob not too far off in reg 600s. At amature level anyway.

As for me im working on it. My life needs some restructuring before I can jump into things.
Now, there are class designations though. The reason my VF could fit into 3 classes is because it is so small.

Quote:
Vintage 600 Super Bike
Super Bike Rules
Formula Rules for Singles and Twins
Unlimited Twins
750 cc Air Cooled
650 cc
600 cc Naked Production Motorcycles all years
1216 cc Pre 1990 Production
(Allowed exceptions: Buells (All Air Cooled), Ducati 748, FZ6, FZ6R, YZF600RR all years)

Vintage Sport
Pre 1990 Production
Frame modifications allowed for Vintage Classic criteria
1000 cc Singles
1000 cc Twins Air Cooled
700 cc Twins
500 cc 2 Stroke Air Cooled
690 cc Motards
650 cc Air Cooled
490 cc
450 cc 2 Stroke (non GP street production)
(Allowed exceptions: Ducati 750SS, Seca 750, Race Replicas such as TZR250, NSR250, RGV250)

Vintage Classic
Pre 1983 Production
Original frames, Modified frames must move up to Vintage Sport
Unlimited Harley Davidson
1200 cc 2 valve/cylinder
1200 cc Twins
1025 cc 4 valve/cylinder
750 cc 2 Stroke
530 cc Motards
500 cc Singles
(Allowed exceptions: GS500, EX500 all years, Pre 1986 Production VF750, CB900, GPZ, KZ, and J1100, GS1000, TZ750, FZ750)

Vintage Light
Pre 1982 Production
Mono Shock modifications allowed
Unlimited Singles
1000 cc Harley Davidson including EVOs
1000 cc Triples and Twins
840 cc SOHC Pre 1979 Production
610 cc Air Cooled
500 cc 2 Stroke Pre 1965 Production GP
(Allowed exceptions: Ninja 250 all years, GPZ550(up to 3mm overbore, air cooled all years)

Vintage Ultra Light
Pre 1974 Production
750 cc
500 cc 2 Stroke
350 cc Twins and Singles Pre 1969 Production

I understand about life though. Perks of being single and young i guess.... As long as money and health permit, I should have no limitations....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 10-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Now, there are class designations though. The reason my VF could fit into 3 classes is because it is so small.

I understand about life though. Perks of being single and young i guess.... As long as money and health permit, I should have no limitations....
Its the house that hurts not the relationship she's actually gearing up to do some schooling for lab tech on her way to some other medical titles so we sould be doing much better in a year or two. Not that I want to wait that long
Old 10-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

What tracks do they hit? Mid-Ohio is a dead on 3 hr drive, which isn't bad. I'm not quite sure on the other ones.

I would probably rock the CBR, (depends on how I felt), but its a little more nimble than the big TL.