Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 03-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #51
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quality leather won't be that hot. Especially if it's good, perferated leather. Believe me. I live in Vegas heat and only rock an Astars one-peice.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #52
vabarber2
ICON FTW!!!

Moto: 00GSXR6

Jacket Helmet and Gloves at a minimum always! And pants depend on in town or getting down!
vabarber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #53
Mistress Maygin
Megatron

Moto: Nothing yet, but hoping for something soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
Quality leather won't be that hot. Especially if it's good, perferated leather. Believe me. I live in Vegas heat and only rock an Astars one-peice.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the humidity in Vegas next to none. Never been, but I know in some of the states below it the weather is hot as balls, but with almost no humidity. The humidity makes the big difference.
So lovely, it feels so right

I want to hold you close
Soft breath, beating heart
As I whisper in your ear
I want to fucking tear you apart
Mistress Maygin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #54
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Maygin View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the humidity in Vegas next to none. Never been, but I know in some of the states below it the weather is hot as balls, but with almost no humidity. The humidity makes the big difference.
You're probably right about the humidity being worse. There' spractically none in Vegas. But it gets 110+. Humidity is gonna get you no matter what you're wearing. Might as well wear leather. Or a solid leather/textile combo.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #55
vabarber2
ICON FTW!!!

Quote:
Humidity is a great thing!! It alows sweat to do its job!! Over here in the sand its like 120 in the summer with no humidity so sweat evaporates before it can cool you down!!
Old 03-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #56
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
Just hit up every motorcycle dealership or shop in your area. There's also a couple good places in Orlando and Daytona (I know that's a ways for you, but it might be worthwhile). There's Seminole Powersports in Sanford (just north of Orlando), and a good Cycle Gear just down the street (there's either two or three CG's in the O-town area). Then up in Daytona, you have Cycle World (big dealership), Cycle Image (lots of Alpinestars stuff) and The Helmet Shop (lots of Power Trip and Joe Rocket).
I would kill to have that many choices of shops. The dealers around here are tired of seeing me and not selling anything. Mind you, I wouldn't go so far as moving to florida...
Quote:
There's a REALLY cute new A* jacket in mesh or textile that's gray with gray/black camo inserts, or green with green camo (not purple, but it's cool they're finally doing something OTHER than pink and blue )
I saw one of those at an Apriia dealer up here. Nice looking jacket. The men's version looks pretty good too- no camo though
Quote:
You could always start with a well vented textile for your first jacket, and then if it becomes too hot to bear, look into adding a meshie later. You're going to eventually build a gear wardrobe.
That sounds like a good plan for your area. Of course, to hit the track, you need leather. Up here, I just wear my leather all the time and I don't have to sit in traffic much. I open my vents and wear a minimum of clothing under my jacket to stay cool.
Quote:
Oh I know. But there is a big difference between wrecking on the highway at 80, and on a side road going 30. That's what I mean. I would always wear my helmet and gloves, this is really just about a jacket. But this may all change depending on what I can find that even fits!
Yeah, I'll get leather for sure. But it's just an unsafe to pass out on your bike from heat exhaustion, so I don't think I can wear leather all the time. I'll prolly only go as "low" as textile with vents though. For some reason mesh just doesnt sit right with me. no idea why, though.
Back roads at 80 are much more fun. I know what you mean though, doesn't matter how hot it is, I would feel extremely unsafe in mesh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabarber2 View Post
Humidity is a great thing!! It alows sweat to do its job!! Over here in the sand its like 120 in the summer with no humidity so sweat evaporates before it can cool you down!!
That's just wrong... Sweat evaporating cools you. Sweat stuck to your body because the ambient humidity is too high makes you miserable.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #57
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabarber2 View Post
you got it backwards holms...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #58
vabarber2
ICON FTW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
you got it backwards holms...
Yeah, guess I do, but its jus so dam hot in irak that sweat cant save you!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 12:10 AM   #59
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Oh I know. But there is a big difference between wrecking on the highway at 80, and on a side road going 30. That's what I mean. I would always wear my helmet and gloves, this is really just about a jacket. But this may all change depending on what I can find that even fits!

Yeah, I'll get leather for sure. But it's just an unsafe to pass out on your bike from heat exhaustion, so I don't think I can wear leather all the time. I'll prolly only go as "low" as textile with vents though. For some reason mesh just doesnt sit right with me. no idea why, though.
I wear leather. All the time. Only leather. Some perforated, some vented. All Dainese. Injuries are injuries whether they happen on the freeway or on a side street. Textile is a one time use jacket - I wouldn't want to take the risk the ONE TIME goes into my skin. My skin, my choice... your skin, your choice. I'll just post up my stance on it, and my experience with horrific situations - and kindly guide you toward leather - and ONLY leather.

Heat. Whatever. I was at the track all day today - it was 93 and humid. Full suit of leather. Perforated, but still leather.

My favorite quip... someone always asks in the 100+ weather "Aren't you hot in that?" My reply: "I was hot before I put it on, I'd like to stay that way."

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:16 AM   #60
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Need to knows?

You need leather (perf'd in your case, since you're in a hot climate).
You need it to fit.
You need to wear it all the fucking time with very few exceptions.
You need armor, CE rated or better (CE level II can absorb more impact). (all decent gear will come with CE armor already...)
You need a helmet that fits and passes all the common standards (this is the place NOT to cheap out).
You need to find good deals on high quality gear if you're tight on money, not normal deals on cheap shit.

edit:
Here's my getup... it does street and track duty until I can afford a custom one-piece:
HJC AC-12 Carbon Vader Helmet
AGVsport Torino Jacket
Dainese Airspace 2 back protector
Teknic Chicane Pants (full circumference zip to jacket)
Added hip armor in pants (saved me a bruised hip at the track methinks)
Teknic speedstar knee pucks
Sidi Vertigo Air boots
Held Phantom gloves

I've been in pretty nasty humidity and heat... it's not fun if you get stuck in traffic... but if you're moving, it's fine. Just stay hydrated.

Also, when riding in the city for short distances, low speeds (<20mph), and hot weather, I'll wear:
Same helmet
Joe Rocket alter ego 2.0 textile/mesh convertible jacket
A* smx-plus short gloves
Hiking boots
Jeans

That's a chance I understand and am willing to accept. If I have a problem in the city, it would probably be a car hitting me, in which case my gear wouldn't do much to save me from the impact. No fucking way in hell am I leaving the city in that gear though.

Last edited by ceo012384; 03-15-2008 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: Added my gear info
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote