Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Dirt

Old 03-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
05svr650
Supporting Vendor

Moto: wide open throttle
Default Project "RM"

A few weeks back I aquired one infamous "RM 250" from another board. Little did I know the history behind the bike and how many times it had to be pushed or towed out of the woods to the truck.

Upon me aquiring the bike it ran good until it got hot, then it had a mind of it's own and wanted to go wide open. Kinda like the float was sticking...Bryan and I adjusted on the power valve spring and thought we had the problem fixed.

One day I was riding it thru the yard and noticed oil on my leg. Upon further inspection I noticed a crack in the exhaust. So I started taking pieces of to check it out. I had the exhaust welded up and I plastic welded the airbox holes while I was in the mood of fixing.

I got it put back together last week. My dad came over and we were playing with the bike. It took a while to get it started because it was flooding itself out. But once it got started it ran for about 10 minutes then the demonic soul came back out and the bike ran wide open on it's own. At this point I turned off the gas and let the bike die. Then when I went to kick start it back, we could hear something rattling in the case. I don't know if something broke or just came loose.

This is where I am now.

Starting next week I am going to start tearing down the bike and so will begin "Project RM" because I am not going to let this bike beat me! Next step will be to purchase a service manual and continuing my internet reading on rebuilding 2 strokes.

I will keep this thread up to date until I have conquered "THE RM".

Any advise is greatly appreciated. I have nothing to loose except a demonic bike and I have knowledge to gain.

Adieu

www.JandBcycle.com
05svr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

LOL, ghost bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

the good thing, 2 strokes are super easy to work on and dont have all that many moving internal parts, depending on how many hours are on it since the last rebuild, a new piston, rings, a complete carb rebuild should be a good starting point to pin pointing the problem

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Rider
Moto GP Star

2 strokes are super easy to work on. It sounds like a carb issue to me. Rebuild the carb, also while you are at it replace the top end(piston, rings, bearing wrist pin and gaskets. Make sure when you remove and replace the cir clips in the piston, put a rag down into the crank case to block it off from anything getting down in the crank case. If you drop a cir clip down in there you're hosed and you will have to split the case to get them out.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
vabarber2
ICON FTW!!!

Moto: 00GSXR6

Have fun. Good Luck.
vabarber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

We demand pics btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:37 AM   #7
05svr650
Supporting Vendor

Moto: wide open throttle

I am running power to my outside shed this weekend to wire up some lights....Wife won't let me tear it apart on the kitchen table....what's up with that????

I'll take lots of pictures. There are quite a few people on a local forum that have offered to help. That should make things go a lot smoother!

www.JandBcycle.com
05svr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
We demand pics btw.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05svr650 View Post
I am running power to my outside shed this weekend to wire up some lights....Wife won't let me tear it apart on the kitchen table....what's up with that????

I'll take lots of pictures. There are quite a few people on a local forum that have offered to help. That should make things go a lot smoother!
That's bullshit. Tell her that she doesn't need the kitchen table to cook you dinner...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #9
Rider
Moto GP Star

One other quick tip, use Easy Off oven cleaner on your power valve. It gets the carbon off real easy.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #10
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
One other quick tip, use Easy Off oven cleaner on your power valve. It gets the carbon off real easy.
Hence the name... EASY OFF.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote