Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #121
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
So I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I was one of the only ones watching people gather in the streets to celebrate Bin Laden's death and feeling very sad?
I didn't have the same level of excitement that was portrayed in the media, on the streets, and across the web...

Kind of a 'meh' moment... it came too late for me to be excited because it opened a lot of old wounds for a lot of people and I don't really think Al Qaeda could be any more disorganized these days...

Definitely a big moment for our military, which I can appreciate... but I think a lot of the excitement was coming from people who were really only out to support their boy in office. I have a feeling that the outpouring of positives from the celebrity and youth subsets of our culture would have looked much different if this was done on Bush's watch.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #122
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I didn't have the same level of excitement that was portrayed in the media, on the streets, and across the web...

Kind of a 'meh' moment... it came too late for me to be excited because it opened a lot of old wounds for a lot of people and I don't really think Al Qaeda could be any more disorganized these days...

Definitely a big moment for our military, which I can appreciate... but I think a lot of the excitement was coming from people who were really only out to support their boy in office. I have a feeling that the outpouring of positives from the celebrity and youth subsets of our culture would have looked much different if this was done on Bush's watch.
It just seemed like a cross between Idiocracy and Team America World Police...only playing out in real life on live TV. We seem to be so easily herded.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #123
shmike
Follower

Quote:
So I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I was one of the only ones watching people gather in the streets to celebrate Bin Laden's death and feeling very sad?

Explain your sadness please...
Old 05-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #124
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Yet

Technically, some bombs can, but you have to be willing to accept the consequences of that action. We are not a country that will do that anymore though.
I disagree. We take people out with traditional bombs as well as drones all the time. The difference here is the government wanted a body for DNA testing, pictures, and the ability to remove it. A bomb or drone obviously makes a hell of a mess and can make identifying those killed difficult to impossible. Our relationship with Pakistan most likely wouldn't allow our people to be on the ground for hours/days searching for body parts either.

People are skeptical about Bin Laden being dead already. How much more skepticism would there be if no body existed and no DNA testing had been done? If this strike were carried out with a bomb or drone there is a pretty good chance the government would be limited to thinking they may have gotten him. Removing that uncertainty made the risk of sending in the SEALs and helicopter pilots worth it to the administration.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #125
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
It just seemed like a cross between Idiocracy and Team America World Police...only playing out in real life on live TV. We seem to be so easily herded.
What do you think the "proper" response was?
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #126
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I disagree. We take people out with traditional bombs as well as drones all the time. The difference here is the government wanted a body for DNA testing, pictures, and the ability to remove it. A bomb or drone obviously makes a hell of a mess and can make identifying those killed difficult to impossible. Our relationship with Pakistan most likely wouldn't allow our people to be on the ground for hours/days searching for body parts either.

People are skeptical about Bin Laden being dead already. How much more skepticism would there be if no body existed and no DNA testing had been done? If this strike were carried out with a bomb or drone there is a pretty good chance the government would be limited to thinking they may have gotten him. Removing that uncertainty made the risk of sending in the SEALs and helicopter pilots worth it to the administration.
Was reading earlier how the pakistani govt is backpeddaling saying they werent harboring him in their country.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #127
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post

You don't need DNA testing if you nuke Pakistan/Afghanistan off the map.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #128
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Remove any doubt
Old 05-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #129
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
You know, I said that back in the 90's when everything started the FIRST time. Then we would have our very own glass covered oil fields, and all would be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #130
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Now Obama is going ot the trade center on thursday, glad I wont be there. Bet the port authority nazis wont let him on the site since he doesnt have a daypass