Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 03-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...
Default BEHOLD! Another V-Twin Major Rebuild... I give you... Project Pegasus...

I started in on my bike today... As you may or may not know I crashed my bike back in September. I never fixed it really, just replaced the parts necessary to make it go and kept on riding it. It's currently not really registered anywhere making it immediate impound bait if I ever get pulled over. With the Cali trip coming up, I had to get my ass in gear to get this thing rolling.

Pegasus - (Greek: Πήγασος, Pégasos, 'strong') was a winged horse that was the son of Poseidon, in his role as horse-god, and the Gorgon Medusa. Also synonymous with Buell Motorcycles.

One of the first things I wanted to do was paint the fairing mount thingy... It's goldish whatever and I think it would look killer the same color as the frame... You can see it here in this old ass pic:

Taking it off was easy enough, until I got to the ignition key thingy... Of course it take special torx bits with a hole in the middle... So I busted out the drill and drilled those bitches down...

Off!

Next thing was to remove the bars... The throttle side was really easy, but the clutch side not so much... They used the worlds strongest glue on that shit and it took me, no lie, like 20 minutes to get the fucking grip off... As you can see, there's a bunch of rubber left stuck on there from where I dug a screwdriver up in there (and through the grip and into my hand of course!)

Bars off!

So, you might think I pissed myself a little right here, but that's not the case at all. I did like 200 miles on Christmas day and got caught in a torrential downpour... Sure enough, there was water STILL in my bars!

Next thing was to remove the frame pucks... After fucking with the grip for so long I was not real enthused about tackling this one... It started coming off real easy, then RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP! The fucking thing fell apart in my hand... I started to peal more off and the styrofoam kept breaking off, so I figured this was a job for another day (when I have more patience)...

From there I wanted to pull the muffler off so I can send it to Special-Ops (a dude who hacks Buell pipes)... The chin fairing came off real easy... and I recognized that I was missing a couple mounting screws... I've heard of these falling out on their own before...

Muffler removal was next on the list... man what a pain in the ass that shit was... The bolts are hard to get to and I didn't have a deep well socket like I needed, but eventually... 3 beers, many a thrown wrench, and lots of cursing later... I had it...

Not too bad for a days work...

My music selection for today was a blend of Snot, Slipknot, White Zombie, Tool, and capped things off with Sublime. Beer sponsor was Red Hook Longhammer IPA.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

this thread had me reelin a couple times, just by the sheer contrast to gasmans style at attacking a job and OSPS...
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
this thread had me reelin a couple times, just by the sheer contrast to gasmans style at attacking a job and OSPS...
Howso?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

its a certian jena se qua.

mostly your approach, and mentality.

i think one of the reason it got me goin was its pretty much exactly how i start a project.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
its a certian jena se qua.

mostly your approach, and mentality.

i think one of the reason it got me goin was its pretty much exactly how i start a project.
Yeah, I spent about a grand yesterday online ordering parts... So I figured today would be a good time to rip the motherfucker apart and wait for parts to start coming in... Of course, before I get too crazy, I got to paint... I fucking hate painting, but it needs to be done...
Old 03-16-2008, 11:16 PM   #6
jalaan1
orangina Zed

Moto: '12 Z1000

'git er done'

keep us posted.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:55 AM   #7
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Nice bro... you gonna have the sub frame painted or powder coated too?

oh and for the grips and those frame pucks... you might try using a heat gun... or in a pinch a hair dryer...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:41 AM   #8
Mule
Snidely Whiplash

Moto: 05 xb9sx

was a part of that 1k you spent on parts including some new mirrors, because you need to get rid of those stock lollipops...

and now, wtf you gonna ride when i'm up there this weekend? (march 21-23)

oh yeah, next time don't wrestle so much with the grips, just take a utility knife and cut em off, then use "Goo-B-Gone" to remove the excess glue....

and of course, order yourself some Traction grips, the ergonomic design provides less stress on your hands and wrists
Old 03-17-2008, 07:04 AM   #9
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
Nice bro... you gonna have the sub frame painted or powder coated too?

oh and for the grips and those frame pucks... you might try using a heat gun... or in a pinch a hair dryer...
Yeah, I was thinking about picking up a heat gun... It's one of those things that I wish I had too many times not to just fucking get one...

I am planning on painting the subframe as well... It's rashed up from my crash, so it'll be the color of the frame too. Sometime this week I'll be removing the levers and foot controls, then the subframe is gonna go... I'm really not looking forward to it though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
was a part of that 1k you spent on parts including some new mirrors, because you need to get rid of those stock lollipops...

and now, wtf you gonna ride when i'm up there this weekend? (march 21-23)

oh yeah, next time don't wrestle so much with the grips, just take a utility knife and cut em off, then use "Goo-B-Gone" to remove the excess glue....

and of course, order yourself some Traction grips, the ergonomic design provides less stress on your hands and wrists
Well, I only have one mirror right now... the other one is somewhere in the woods in Hocking Hills... I have no plans yet for replacements, but it's going to be done... I'll figure something out when I get my handguards on...

The last time I used a utility knife to cut off some grips I damn near cut my hand off... I'm too retarded to be trusted with sharp objects...

I ordered some ProGrips... we'll see how those do, but since they're only like $10 I won't be heartbroken if I don't like 'em...
Old 03-17-2008, 07:11 AM   #10
Mule
Snidely Whiplash

Moto: 05 xb9sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Yeah, I was thinking about picking up a heat gun... It's one of those things that I wish I had too many times not to just fucking get one...

I am planning on painting the subframe as well... It's rashed up from my crash, so it'll be the color of the frame too. Sometime this week I'll be removing the levers and foot controls, then the subframe is gonna go... I'm really not looking forward to it though...

Well, I only have one mirror right now... the other one is somewhere in the woods in Hocking Hills... I have no plans yet for replacements, but it's going to be done... I'll figure something out when I get my handguards on...

The last time I used a utility knife to cut off some grips I damn near cut my hand off... I'm too retarded to be trusted with sharp objects...

I ordered some ProGrips... we'll see how those do, but since they're only like $10 I won't be heartbroken if I don't like 'em...
i got a pair of progrips for my honda, they came out of the package being really tacky and nasty....ended up putting a spare pair of traction grips on it as well