Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 04-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
m0n1
Street Stunter

Moto: 07 R1
Default HID Conversion

OK so my next thing may be a HID conversion. I was reading a lot about HID lights, the temperature and angle and I remember Trip had a post on his HID’s so I read that again too. I read that the light emitted from the HID needs to be controlled, that’s why most cars running oem HID’s are used with the projector type lens. I talked to my part supplier and he said that the HID he can get will probably replace my high beams; but would rather have the lights go through the projector lens. Im still in the research stage and wanted to get more info so any information you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war." –Douglas MacArthur
“Our job as citizens also includes backing our president when he makes a decision, whether we like that decision or not,"- Damion Maynard
m0n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I have straight up cheap China HIDS, I use them all the time, no issue at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Trip... that link you posted to the write up for 600rr had a link for the little 3rd light the guys there replaced with an LED... AT that link I found a little "delay" for the HID lights... so basicly it'd delay your HID's a couple seconds when you start the bike so your electrical system isn't being overloaded... any chance you have that link?

also... do you have any issues when starting your bike? or do your lights delay some themselves... (i've heard of this)
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

course, that's www.tripageled.com

T is a good guy, tell him I said hello.

I have never had a problem starting my bike with HIDs, of course only one of my lights is on when I fire up the bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
WARputer
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2005 Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

I have never had a problem starting my bike with HIDs, of course only one of my lights is on when I fire up the bike.
No issues for me either.....the best mod I ever did to the bike too ! Wish I had some pics of them but I'm at work...maybe later.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

thanks trip! yeah both of mine will kick on... so i'm gonna get the relay... just better safe than sorry
Old 04-04-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

question,are you guys talking just bulbs (HID look a like)or the complete HID kit complete with ballasts,relays and upgraded wiring harnesses?

Just a note,I found an actual complete German conversion kit for $40 on EBay. It comes with a 1 year warranty from a seller with over 16,500 sells and 100% feedback. I'll probably get it for my bike,so I'll let you know.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 04-04-2008 at 01:11 AM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:40 AM   #8
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

actual HID kits... not the look alike... the kit I'm looking at is both Hi/Lo for $265 or so...

it's two ballists, two bulbs, two relays and I don't loose my high beams...

I'll be installing it in September... can't fuck'n wait!
Old 04-04-2008, 02:31 AM   #9
WARputer
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2005 Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
question,are you guys talking just bulbs (HID look a like)or the complete HID kit complete with ballasts,relays and upgraded wiring harnesses?

Just a note,I found an actual complete German conversion kit for $40 on EBay. It comes with a 1 year warranty from a seller with over 16,500 sells and 100% feedback. I'll probably get it for my bike,so I'll let you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
actual HID kits... not the look alike... the kit I'm looking at is both Hi/Lo for $265 or so...

it's two ballists, two bulbs, two relays and I don't loose my high beams...

I'll be installing it in September... can't fuck'n wait!
Yep...full plug & play kits ..."Bosche" ....spelling? My kit came with plug in wiring harness...no splicing required & ballasts/ignitors combined . All of it fit nicely on top of my RAM air induction, just below the inner fairings. Best $200 I ever spent, the projector high beam throws bright "white" light ( no more yellow ) for what looks like a mile down the road.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

I ordered my HID kit last week... I can't wait to install them in my bike...