Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 04-05-2008, 02:03 AM   #11
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

true... but like trip said... you'd better be dead set in your gearing... or have a fat wallet to buy a couple combos
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:22 AM   #12
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I haven't changed gearing in a street bike since '97 and I was probably stupid to do it then. The factories spends millions on research to determine the best set-up for "all around street riding" and that's the type of riding I do so why fuck with it?

BTW the fine print on the "lifetime warranty" states that you must use their chain the entire time to qualify. On the positive side,you would save money in just a couple years if you are their target customer. They aren't marketing to guys that run stock steel sprockets. They are after the "rotating mass" weight saving guys. The guys that buy aluminum sprockets. A decent AL sprocket costs $50-60 and up. I've had an alum sprocket wear out in one or two tire changes. When I lived in Mi,I went thru 2-3 rear tires and a front or two per season. Basically,I'd kill 2 alum sprockets a year. In two years ...paid for and then it's gravy! Besides if you stick to the same bike like me ( '01,'03 and '06 GSXR1000)and aren't stupid like me,you'll move the sprocket from bike to bike.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:31 AM   #13
WARputer
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2005 Hayabusa

Tigger...I re-geared mine ....added 3 teeth in the rear 'cause I wanted more acceleration and could give a crap about the top speed. Where the Hell am I ever gonna go 186 mph anyway.

Last edited by WARputer; 04-05-2008 at 03:35 AM..
WARputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:33 AM   #14
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

well I kicked down my gearing cause I don't really need the top end north of 120 anyhow... so why not kick it down and have that in the more daily useable area?

and I don't think they come from the factory with the best setup for the street... it's now the performance... either most hp or top speed...
Old 04-05-2008, 03:38 AM   #15
WARputer
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2005 Hayabusa

Oh yeah...forgot to mention ...those sprockets are expensive as Hell !!! My last set was like $18 front & $60 for the rear and I got almost 20K miles out of them. The friggin' chains ain't cheap though.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:52 AM   #16
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARputer View Post
Oh yeah...forgot to mention ...those sprockets are expensive as Hell !!! My last set was like $18 front & $60 for the rear and I got almost 20K miles out of them. The friggin' chains ain't cheap though.

yayyyy! New arguement!

1. just so I understand,you felt you needed "more acceleration" from a 'Busa?
2. you are stating that you get 20,000 miles from an ALUMINUM sprocket on your 'busa?
3. I never discussed the front,I've only replaced front sprockets in the past because I was told I "had" to. My '03 had 42,000 miles on it,no front sprocket change. Rear sprocket once to the Tri metal.
4. you don't think that there are consequences to regearing you bike? What about fuel efficiency? Making your bike run higher revs to maintain the same mph? Ah I'm tired...I'll better arrange my thoughts when I'm not freshly laid and I've gotten some sleep.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:29 AM   #17
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Dear god... we need an argument corner for Tigger...

we can call it the Ring... where everyone goes rounds with Tigger...

then again... he always seems to lose...
Old 04-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #18
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Gearing change FTW. Tigger FTL.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #19
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
Dear god... we need an argument corner for Tigger...

we can call it the Ring... where everyone goes rounds with Tigger...

then again... he always seems to lose...
LOSE!?! Did you not admit that Icon has gear that is non-flashy AND that you were arguing with me about it WITHOUT ever even fully exploring what they offered? Just like ALOT of your friends,you form opinions without any experience in the subject and then debate the matter based purely on hearsay and the attitudes of your compatriots who also haven't any experience in the matter. Or even worse,you come out against me without even reading my entire post. Like when you "didn't notice" that I've used Teknics gear for years and the HQ was by my house.

Icon thread; I hear you got some Teknic pants and they were,shall we say sub-standard. I just got Icon pants and they were fucking awesome!!!

Track thread; some of you have said that bike to bike contact is rare. I was just talking to my friend who goes to VIR almost every other weekend and he says that shit happens almost every track day he's been to AND he was just taken out three weeks ago by some clown who claimed to be "intermediate" and was doing half the typical speed on turn 5.

Helmet thread; I've owned dozens of helmets from companys some of you have never even heard of;Bell,Vetter,Lazer,Bieffe,OGK,FM,Zamp,Scorpion,H JC,
Sparx,Icon,Arai,Shoei,Akuma,AGV,Dainese,I'm sure I'm missing someone. Anyway,how many different brands of helmets have you owned? Two? Maybe three? Yet you think you're an expert,right? You think you know who makes the best helmets because your buddys told you,right? All I've ever tried to do is open up the closed tight minds of some of you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Gearing change FTW. Tigger FTL.
what's FTL? I'd guess it's "fuck that loser" is that right?
Old 04-05-2008, 04:05 PM   #20
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

You guys do know that gearing changes are just another way for the man to keep the brothers down, don't you?