Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 04-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #21
WARputer
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2005 Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
yayyyy! New arguement!

1. just so I understand,you felt you needed "more acceleration" from a 'Busa?
2. you are stating that you get 20,000 miles from an ALUMINUM sprocket on your 'busa?
3. I never discussed the front,I've only replaced front sprockets in the past because I was told I "had" to. My '03 had 42,000 miles on it,no front sprocket change. Rear sprocket once to the Tri metal.
4. you don't think that there are consequences to regearing you bike? What about fuel efficiency? Making your bike run higher revs to maintain the same mph? Ah I'm tired...I'll better arrange my thoughts when I'm not freshly laid and I've gotten some sleep.
1 Uh yes ....never know when you're gonna be next to a Veyron .
2 No ..steel
4 no...... it a damn missles on wheels....people actually care about mpg ?
Old 04-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #22
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:

what's FTL? I'd guess it's "fuck that loser" is that right?
For The Loss, kid.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #23
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

it was a joke kid... and my argument... for the 1000th time... wasn't saying Icon was crap... it was that they don't have the rep that Teknic and A*'s has... and that they're products as a whole are flashier than most others.

and yeah FTW is for the win. FTL is For the loss....

I used to think it was FUCK THE WORLD! and couldn't figure out FTL was either
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #24
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARputer View Post
1 Uh yes ....never know when you're gonna be next to a Veyron .
2 No ..steel
4 no...... it a damn missles on wheels....people actually care about mpg ?
1. what the fuck is a "Veyron"? Is it anything like a moron?
2. Well,if you read my post,I was talking about ALUMINUM sprockets making a $159 Ti sprocket economically feasable and specifically said that it doesn't make sense to a steel sprocket user. Guys that purchase Alum sprockets care about weight savings. BTW most people only change gear ratio once.
3. I mentioned front sprockets to agree that $89 was way too much since fronts don't "seem" to wear out.
4. then why fuck with it? I was merely illustrating that running your bike at higher rpm can have adverse effects which include; lower gas mileage, increased engine wear,increased vibration,inacurate speedometer,confused engine/fuel mapping,etc. Like I said,I ride my bike all the time in various capacities and don't want to narrow it's focus further by modifying the gear ratios.

The engineers spend hours,days,weeks developing the trans,engine control computer and gearing to find an all around good working compromise. For example,an engine might have a definitive rise in vibration at 7000 pm. So the designers set the trans and gearing so that at 70 mph the engine spins at let's say 6500 rpm in 6th gear thus avoiding dead hands and feet after a freeway jaunt. After you installed sprockets with two more teeth in the rear and one less in the front. It spins at 8500 70mph in 6th gear. Now you have sleeping hands and you've lost 5mpg in fuel economy. Yea it's real smart to set your bike up for that one in a hundred rides "Veyron" race and sacrifice your day to day comfort and over all capabilities. Sure.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #25
WARputer
WERA Yellow Plate

Quote:
1. what the fuck is a "Veyron"? Is it anything like a moron?
2. Well,if you read my post,I was talking about ALUMINUM sprockets making a $159 Ti sprocket economically feasable and specifically said that it doesn't make sense to a steel sprocket user. Guys that purchase Alum sprockets care about weight savings. BTW most people only change gear ratio once.
3. I mentioned front sprockets to agree that $89 was way too much since fronts don't "seem" to wear out.
4. then why fuck with it? I was merely illustrating that running your bike at higher rpm can have adverse effects which include; lower gas mileage, increased engine wear,increased vibration,inacurate speedometer,confused engine/fuel mapping,etc. Like I said,I ride my bike all the time in various capacities and don't want to narrow it's focus further by modifying the gear ratios.

The engineers spend hours,days,weeks developing the trans,engine control computer and gearing to find an all around good working compromise. For example,an engine might have a definitive rise in vibration at 7000 pm. So the designers set the trans and gearing so that at 70 mph the engine spins at let's say 6500 rpm in 6th gear thus avoiding dead hands and feet after a freeway jaunt. After you installed sprockets with two more teeth in the rear and one less in the front. It spins at 8500 70mph in 6th gear. Now you have sleeping hands and you've lost 5mpg in fuel economy. Yea it's real smart to set your bike up for that one in a hundred rides "Veyron" race and sacrifice your day to day comfort and over all capabilities. Sure.
All valid points...I actually agree with you. Main reason I changed gear ratio....I have a buddy with an 02 Busa, he has high a high $$ 4-2-1 exhaust, PC III , stretched , custom map from dyno runs, exhaust valve mod and an ass load of other crap. I was tired off him leaving me in the dust ....OK , maybe not that bad, but he would pull away from me at a decent rate. So I did a cheap and easy mod.....rear sprocket. Now.....I'm right there with him and I spent 90% less $$$ than he did.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #26
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

Here's a thought. Lets say two guys have identical bikes. One guy commutes on the interstate back and forth 20 miles and averages about 80 mph on the trip. We'll call this guy Tigger. Another guy, rides 20 miles to work, but cuts across a mountain, and averages 60 mph on his commute. We'll call this guy Warputer. Now, Tigger, since he rides on the interstate, likes his gearing. If you don't believe me, ask him. Warputer, on the other hand, wants a little more torque since he avoids the highway, and stays lower in the rpm range during his commute. Warputer makes a change, which results in 20% change in the gearing towards the lower side. Now, even though the two bikes have significantly different gearing, they are running at the same rpm range through the commute.

The point being, if someone lowered their gearing, they are probably riding at lower speeds, and any additional wear and tear from increased engine speeds will most likely be negligible.

In the end, gearing is just like jacket designs, oil, bike brands, and women. It is personal preference. No one is right, and no one is wrong.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #27
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

very good point...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #28
WARputer
WERA Yellow Plate

Genius !!!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #29
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6doublefive321 View Post
Here's a thought. Lets say two guys have identical bikes. One guy commutes on the interstate back and forth 20 miles and averages about 80 mph on the trip. We'll call this guy Tigger. Another guy, rides 20 miles to work, but cuts across a mountain, and averages 60 mph on his commute. We'll call this guy Warputer. Now, Tigger, since he rides on the interstate, likes his gearing. If you don't believe me, ask him. Warputer, on the other hand, wants a little more torque since he avoids the highway, and stays lower in the rpm range during his commute. Warputer makes a change, which results in 20% change in the gearing towards the lower side. Now, even though the two bikes have significantly different gearing, they are running at the same rpm range through the commute.

The point being, if someone lowered their gearing, they are probably riding at lower speeds, and any additional wear and tear from increased engine speeds will most likely be negligible.

In the end, gearing is just like jacket designs, oil, bike brands, and women. It is personal preference. No one is right, and no one is wrong.
Greatest post of all time.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:58 AM   #30
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Greatest post of all time.
Wurd.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote