Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 04-07-2008, 02:07 AM   #1
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600
Default Making my bike easier to see during the day time?

What all can I do? I ride like I am invisible and I expect every single car to pull out in front of me. But beyond that what can I do?

I am trying to stick with gear that is red or white in color.
I run my bright while riding around during the day.
I try to tap the brake lights when stopping at any time.

I guess my question really pertains to the head light and brake light. I know modulators are legal here in Georgia and I wouldn't mind having one on my bike. Although I don't feel that it would be compatible with a HID kit as it probably wouldn't be healthy for that style bulb.

Are there any kits I can use to brighten or modulate my tail lights? Don't need anything fancy, but I wouldn't mind a system which caused my rear light to flash when I was on the brakes. It would allow me to worry more about whats in front of me then tapping the brake in hopes of getting the attention of someone behind me.

I would consider myself pretty mechanically inclined, but my biggest weak point is electrical stuff. I hate doing it because I don't feel like I know whats going on, so please be gentle with any technical explanations.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:27 AM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

there are several tail light modulators out... just depends on what you want...

here's what I'm planning on getting
http://www.kriss.com/brakeflasher.php

as for brightening your tail lights... some LED lights are brighter than bulbs... but I've also seen some (like my signals ) that suck and are much dimmer. so it's hard to say

You can add reflective decals to your helmet... you can wear reflective vests...

Us military have to wear one anyways... Icon has the Military Spec Vest... and it was the only one out till last year... so A LOT of people including myself use that...

I gave that to my bro though... and I'm gonna be sporting this one this summer

oh and the electronics are simple... just think of the wire as a tube of water... larger tube more water... bad connection... leak... too many outlets... poor volume... longer tube... higher pressure. hope that helps
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:53 AM   #3
PiZdETS
⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

Moto: ⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

As usual, ebbs knows his shit.
My bike came with a brake light with signals integrated into it and it flashes when I hit the brakes. Very noticable, cars keep their distance more than on my sv where they'd get closer to my rear when stopping. (tee-hee) Don't know the maker but I know the previous owner bought the good shit so I'd go with one of the online vendors, skip ebay. Ebay electrical and lighting stuff is notoriously unreliable/cheap.

About the vests, it might look a little weird but that shit works. At the airport where I work we all have to wear them and they help immensely at night and during the day. When I was in Ireland about 3/4 of all the city bikers wore green or orange vests over their leathers. It just pulls your attention to them when you see a bright vest in the corner of your eye. Any uniform shop will have them, try to get one that has adjustable size but that isn't held together with velcro as many are. They can get a little flappy above 60 mph.

The single most critical way to stay visible is to think invisible. You're right in thinking cagers don't always see you so ride like they have no idea youre there. Stay out of blind spots, make eye contact when you pull along side someone and you're unsure they see you, as your passing a car watch the drivers head - a quick glance to the left is often their only checking before swerving into your lane.
When youre in thick traffic, just be thinking about escape routes, if the car to your left starts coming into your lane you might get to the right of your lane and lane split the cars ahead etc etc..
I've gotten to the point where I don't even flinch when I start getting cut off, you just react instinctually when you've come to expect it.

Also- dont forget your horn! Just because your in heavy traffic and not getting your lane poached yet doesn't mean you cant get a couple beeps in. If I feel suddenly invisible to multiple cars I'll often just do a series of quick beeps and vary my lane position a little to make myself visible to all the cars who will now be looking for what just made the roadrunner sound.

Goodonya for trying to stay visible.

Last edited by PiZdETS; 04-07-2008 at 12:32 PM..
PiZdETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:47 AM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

AWESOME post PiZdETS...

to add to it... something I do just to try and get the attention of drivers when approaching an intersection or where a car is sitting waiting to pull out...

I change my lane position (to furthest point from threat) or even just a little quick weave... it makes me jump out of the background and with my headlights will catch there attention... also it gives me that extra little space to react...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Aside from brighter lights and what have you...the best thing you can do is be cognizant of your surroundings. Imagine you are invisible to everyone at all times, because to them, you are.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Aside from brighter lights and what have you...the best thing you can do is be cognizant of your surroundings. Imagine you are invisible to everyone at all times, because to them, you are.
Do whatever you can in terms of lights, gear, etc... but mentally, still ride like you're a ghost to them.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
LaFemmes
Queen Bee

Moto: 2003 R6
Arrow

Akrapovic exhaust for one.

www.myspace.com/lafemmes
If you cannot win, make the one ahead of you break the record!
LaFemmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
Do whatever you can in terms of lights, gear, etc... but mentally, still ride like you're a ghost to them.
yea, honestly i always ride like i'm stealing bread from the giants breadbasket... i dont want them to have to worry about me, because by the time they see me i'm in fourth gear a hundred yards ahead of them...

they can continue their conversation on their celly or finish their big mac in peace.

No matter what you do you're always going to be fighting an uphill battle when it comes to motorists. like its been said before, just imagine they're all out to kill you and remember to hone your skills OFF the road periodically to make sure your reflex's are sharp.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
yea, honestly i always ride like i'm stealing bread from the giants breadbasket... i dont want them to have to worry about me, because by the time they see me i'm in fourth gear a hundred yards ahead of them...

they can continue their conversation on their celly or finish their big mac in peace.

No matter what you do you're always going to be fighting an uphill battle when it comes to motorists. like its been said before, just imagine they're all out to kill you and remember to hone your skills OFF the road periodically to make sure your reflex's are sharp.
That sorta reminds me of the way I shoot video for work....

"By the time you see me...I'm already done shooting."

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Motolight makes a pair of lights that mount either to the calipers or to other places. I have my BMW equipped with it and the cars definitely seeing it coming. Motolight describes the phenomenon as a "triangle of light" where your headlight is at the pointy tip of the triangle and the other Motolights form the base.

I know that it works because the first time I saw it was from a motorcycle coming up behind me driving my cage and I was like, "WTF was that?"

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote