Exclamation Proposal - Going too slow = ticket

Full story in link below...

CLICK HERE FOR STORY

L8 Braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
L8 Braker
Swollen Member

There is something that's confusing...

If you read the article, it says this...

Currently, it's illegal to drive in the left lane unless passing. However, it's rarely enforced...

So, if it's already a law, how come they have to make another one?

The only thing I can think of is that it is easier to get a guilty verdict (if someone were to challenge the ticket) on a set speed violation vs someone that "might" have been in the left hand lane too long...

Maybe it's much easier to say to a judge, "I clocked them at 45 in a 70", rather than say "I tailed them for 5 miles and they didn't pass anyone" and then have the defendant go into a 30 minute dissertation of why they stayed in that lane...
L8 Braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Pfft, it won't do shit. Just like the keep right except to pass rule here in NY that has been on the books for years that doesn't do anything.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Yep but it doesn't say what too slow is. Is doing the speed limit in the left lane, while impeding the people that want to go 10+, while I'm passing someone who is doing 60 count as a violation? Seems like a good idea turned into a crappy law that wasn't thought through fully.

I wish I knew where the video of 3 cars doing the same speed next to eachother on the highway around atlanta. They were doing the speed limit (perfectly legal) but people behind them were flipping out, passing on the shoulders and acting like fools. So who is wrong? the assholes who were doing the speed limit and didnt let anyone pass them at a higher than legal speed, or the people who did illegal stuff to get around them.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-Ox0ZmVIU

Found it, skip to 3:20

Last edited by derf; 02-08-2011 at 08:12 PM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
"Statistics show when they do impede flow of traffic all the sudden you have an increase in incidents of road rage," said Bennett. "People start weaving in and out of traffic and when you start weaving in and out of traffic, and have accidents at 75 to 80 miles-per-hour, bad things seriously happen."
Some fantastic leadership down there.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
So who is wrong? the assholes who were doing the speed limit and didnt let anyone pass them at a higher than legal speed, or the people who did illegal stuff to get around them.
The assholes impeding traffic are wrong. You'd get shot for that shit around here.

Lane discipline, people.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Start of a good trend in lawmaking - laws that actually make the roads safer. Add passing on the right and tailgating enforcement and we'd be on to something.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #8
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
The assholes impeding traffic are wrong. You'd get shot for that shit around here.

Lane discipline, people.
The Germans got it right on that count.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post

Lane discipline, people.

I think I'm in the minority on this one, I'm against it the way the article says its written. It needs to not be subjective, maybe state that impeding traffic while in the left lane by doing more than 5mph less than the speed limit, law doesn't count while sitting in traffic.

The way its written now sounds liek its one of those fines that gets tacked on to other fines. "Guy was speeding, failure to maintain lane, failure to signal camping in left lane, littering, failure to wear seatbelt So I pulled him over and beat him". Yeh I hate when I want to go and people want to stop, but this just seems like a dumb idea that is only going to ever be used as a tack on fine to get more money out of you
Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
CasterTroy

Doesn't Ga. allready have this? I thought I remembered seeing signs to the tune of "Speed limit 75 speed minimum 45" and then signs reading you WILL be ticketed for going slow in the fast lane