Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #17
TrackRider54
Track Whore

Moto: 2006 Buell Ulysses, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2008 Kymco Agility 125

I've had my Ulysses since Nov. 2005. Other than the year one gremlins Fatty B mentioned (which were all corrected under warranty), it's been the best bike I've ever owned. Only one big failure, a blown voltage regulator and stator, to report (that was a warranty repair too).

I've owned BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Ducati....and none of them had the level of factory support Buell has. I've met and spoken with Erik Buell on two different occasions. I've toured the factory and seen them build a bike like mine. BadWeb is the best brand specific forum on the planet. Occasionally, a factory insider will post up anonymously to answer questions or give "unofficial" fixes to issues.

I can name several people at Buell HQ I've actually spoken with, but not one person from any other make I've owned. You simply can't put a price on that. You can buy a $20,000 Ducati or BMW and you won't be rubbing shoulders with the guy who designed or built your bike. For those of you who don't know what Erik Buell looks like, here's a couple of pics from when I've met him. He's just a "regular guy" who LOVES to talk bikes. Never acts like a big shot or like he's the CEO of a company. He's like a kid at Christmas when he's talking about his bikes. The folks who work there are the same way. They are very proud of the bikes they design and build. The guy behind Erik in the black shirt with his arms folded is Abe Askenazi (sorry if I spelled it wrong). He's one of the lead engineers at Buell. A VERY fascinating guy to talk to.

Even Buell's 500lb adventure touring bike will still rail down a twisty road:

Last edited by TrackRider54; 01-06-2009 at 03:26 PM..
TrackRider54 is offline   Reply With Quote