Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 12-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #21
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati_atx View Post
Ya - the only "sticking point" was about 2-3/hr according to the news. Damn, take a paycut and not risk being unemployed. Of course, in the end - they probably know they can play hardball cause someone with no nuts in our government will hop in and bail them out so they get re-elected.
last I heard the plan was to try to get the sec treas to give them a short term loan until Obama gets in and a new congress is in - Obama has said that the auto industry can't collapse so it would basically be biding their time until they had someone sympathetic to them who will give them the $ without the consessions...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #22
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati_atx View Post
Ya - the only "sticking point" was about 2-3/hr according to the news. Damn, take a paycut and not risk being unemployed. Of course, in the end - they probably know they can play hardball cause someone with no nuts in our government will hop in and bail them out so they get re-elected.
I think you're right about that. It's all bullshit. These asshole union motherfuckers can't take a pay cut to get the bailout...but in the end they know some dick licker will give them their loot anyway. At the end of the day they are fucked anyway...this same bullshit will happen again next year or two years down the road. They'll go under eventually. The bottom line is Detroit is not making cars that Americans want to buy.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #23
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
The bottom line is Detroit is not making cars that Americans want to buy.

Show me actual sales numbers that prove this?

I think GM sells more cars and trucks in the US that anyone else. That's a lot of americans buying american cars.

Most of the people on here wouldn't buy an american car even if it was a designed they liked (except maybe Paul, so sit there like a good boy, and don't give me any lip about how you'd buy a car if you liked it :-) )
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #24
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post

I think GM sells more cars and trucks in the US that anyone else. That's a lot of americans buying american cars.

Most of the people on here wouldn't buy an american car even if it was a designed they liked (except maybe Paul, so sit there like a good boy, and don't give me any lip about how you'd buy a car if you liked it :-) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #25
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:

so we've established that the sales aren't the problem then (almost)... so we're back to the fact that they're pissing away their $$ paying someone a ton of money to do less work than the average fast food worker...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:03 PM   #26
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
so we've established that the sales aren't the problem then (almost)... so we're back to the fact that they're pissing away their $$ paying someone a ton of money to do less work than the average fast food worker...
IMO it's 4 things:
Legacy healthcare costs for retires.
High Union Wages
A constriction on their credit lines from the financial melt down
Fewer people are buying cars ( from what I hear, a lot fewer)

I'll also say their build mix of big cars/suv's vs small cars was wrong for $4/gal gas. We'll have to see how scaring that was to car buyers.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #27
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:

A large portion of this is fleet sales, as well as government sales. I don't know about State governments, but most Federal agencies probably don't want to be seen driving imports.

Not to mention all the Big Three employees and their suppliers who drive American only because they're expected to. I wouldn't call those sales an honest measure of consumer demand.

And when you go to rent a car, how many Civics and Accords do you see? I have never seen ONE in a rental fleet. Why? because there are enough regular customers who want to buy them, at higher profits, so Honda does not need to pawn them off to rental fleets. That's not true for the Big Three.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote