You are not the Man!!

Moto: Hawk GT
Default Blue SUV sought in connection to drowning...of Florida

Manufacturers May Have To Revamp Cars To Sell In Florida
ADVERTISEMENT
By CATHERINE DOLINSKI | The Tampa Tribune

Published: December 2, 2008

Updated: 06:49 pm

TALLAHASSEE - Auto manufacturers may have to revamp the cars and trucks they sell in Florida to meet a tough new emissions standard that state regulators adopted today.

Despite pleas from automakers about hard economic times, the Florida Environmental Regulation Commission voted 6-1 to adopt California's tougher emissions standard as proposed by Gov. Charlie Crist. State lawmakers and federal regulators will have to approve the new rule for it to take effect as planned in 2013

Car and truck emissions account for about 40 percent of greenhouse gases produced in Florida.

"We have got to start reducing our greenhouse gases -- those are the chemicals that cause global warming," said Eric Draper, lobbyist for the Audubon Society. "If we don't, our cities are going to be under water."

The state standard would expand on new fuel economy regulations expected soon from the federal government. The federal rule also would reduce greenhouse gas emissions. By adopting California's standard, Florida would force manufacturers to reduce emissions from new cars and trucks in Florida by an extra 10 million metric tons by 2020 -– the equivalent of taking nearly 1.1 million vehicles off the road per year, according to state environment officials.

Automakers and dealers warned that the technological changes required to meet the standard will be costly. That, they said, will drive up the cost of vehicles and could reduce the availability of some cars and light trucks in the state.

For some vehicles, the cost might rise $5,000, maybe even up to $9,000, lobbyist Ron Book told the commission. One of Tallahassee's most powerful lobbyists, Book appeared on behalf of AutoNation, the country's largest auto dealer, which is based in Fort Lauderdale.

"Vehicles will go up in price," he said. "I can assure you those light trucks ... that are readily available and those SUVs that are sought after will be almost nonexistent in Florida."

Michael Sole, secretary of the state Department of Environmental Regulation, and environmental advocates pointed out that some such light trucks and SUVs already meet the proposed standard, which will not apply to heavy trucks such as the Ford F-250. Even if the upfront price of a new vehicle rises by several thousand dollars, consumers will reap equal or greater savings in lower fuel costs over the life of the vehicle, they said.

"It's unfortunate that the industry has raised some of the issues that it has; I have to admit, I think it hearkens back to the '70s, when they said the same thing about the catalytic converter, other environmental initiatives and safety initiatives," Sole said.

"What I've personally seen over the years is if you ask the auto industry to achieve a goal, they will achieve it. And you know what – they're going to achieve it at the least cost to them as possible, because that's in their best interests."

The 6-1 commission vote came the same day that Ford, GM, Toyota and Honda reported drops in sales of more than 30 percent in November alone. The major U.S. automakers are asking Congress for billions in loans to stabilize their struggling companies, promising in exchange to cut back on executive pay, corporate jets and other costs.

"The auto industry – it is no secret -- is on their backs," Book said, pleading with the commission not to add more regulation.

Charles Territo of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers said having to comply with different standards set by different states is too burdensome.

That was enough to persuade Commissioner Joe Joyce to cast the lone no vote. The modest emissions reduction target of the California standard, he said, did not justify forcing automakers facing tough times to meet different standards for different states.

Sole acknowledged that the reduction in emissions would be incremental but important. "A 10 million metric ton reduction is something I look forward to doing. We need to achieve that."

California is hoping to implement its standards in 2009 but has not received the necessary federal waiver. President-elect Barack Obama has signaled that he is inclined to approve the California rule. Federal law will allow other states to follow suit if California gets its waiver.

Meanwhile, all states are awaiting the new federal fuel economy standard, which would set a minimum of 35 miles per gallon in 2020. Unlike the federal rule, the California standard sets specific requirements for reducing tailpipe gas emissions. Both the federal and state rules include incentives for manufacturers to produce ethanol-burning "flex fuel" vehicles.

Spirited as the debate was before the commission, it is likely to be much tougher in the spring when it reaches the conservative Legislature.

"We're going to have a hard time with this rule in the Legislature," Draper said. "The car industry is willing to spend millions of dollars on lobbyists, not on research and producing clean cars. I think they'll have an easier time over there."
Old 12-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
speedylocksmith
Much better off!!

Moto: 05 1Krr

maybe I need to be drunk all the time because I'm sober and have no clue how the thread title ties into the post
speedylocksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedylocksmith View Post
maybe I need to be drunk all the time because I'm sober and have no clue how the thread title ties into the post
Some whiney fuck tied car exhaust to global warming. And since almost all of Florida is a whopping 6" above sea level, SUV emissions are now brutally evil. It's good to see them take a stance against SUV's after their sales end up in the toilet. Maybe next they can lobby to close the barn doors now that the horses have escaped.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Some whiney fuck tied car exhaust to global warming. And since almost all of Florida is a whopping 6" above sea level, SUV emissions are now brutally evil. It's good to see them take a stance against SUV's after their sales end up in the toilet. Maybe next they can lobby to close the barn doors now that the horses have escaped.
I'm wondering about the "Blue" part...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I'm wondering about the "Blue" part...
Everyone knows that blue is the color of midgets and evil. But they're interchangeable anyway.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

mmm yes lets keep up the farce while we are looking at a record winter. anyone ever notice that the only person who really denys the existance of climate change is al gore?
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
rider76
Canyon Carver

Moto: looking for the next ride

I like my SUV.. looks like you fuckers need to take swimming lessons
Old 12-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
Chris S
Kneedragger

Moto: '07 KTM Super Duke (for sale), '07 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
mmm yes lets keep up the farce while we are looking at a record winter. anyone ever notice that the only person who really denys the existance of climate change is al gore?
No, but I did notice that you failed to spell "denies" correctly!
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote