Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr
Default the new Honda Prius...er I mean Insight

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/03/p...fficial-image/
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Hondahugger
Better Off

Don't even get me started on Hybrids today!!!! My battery on wheels had a dead battery this morning!
Hondahugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Rider
Moto GP Star

I could buy a honda fit for $10K less. I'm not going to save $10K is gas in 5-6 years I'd own it so then where it the return on investment? There isn't. Hybrids are dumb. When they make them the same price as an equivalent gas guzzler, Then I will buy one. The Chevy Volt is another good example of overpriced crap. $40K for a sub compact car that has a range of 40 miles..? Come on... Get real.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I could buy a honda fit for $10K less. I'm not going to save $10K is gas in 5-6 years I'd own it so then where it the return on investment? There isn't. Hybrids are dumb. When they make them the same price as an equivalent gas guzzler, Then I will buy one. The Chevy Volt is another good example of overpriced crap. $40K for a sub compact car that has a range of 40 miles..? Come on... Get real.

The Priu.....I mean Insight is supposed to start under 20K.
The Fit starts at 14.5.

If the Honda Priu...I mean Insight is in the same class as the Prius then the Honda Priu...I mean Insight is in a different class (larger...car. Interior Volume close to a Camry vs a Fit...which can be "tight" for some.

I hate hybrids with the best of em but they are good for the performance metric they are designed for. Interior volume of a large car with the fuel economy of wee mobile.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

$20K gets me a new FZR6 to commute and a new R1 for pimpin!

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
vickibocc
Meh

Moto: the backseat of an '06 600rr

Perhaps the benefits of a hybrid also have to do with the low emissions? Which is good for the environment (ie - all of us), rather than saving money for just yourself
vickibocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

meh. Even driving my truck all winter (which is hungry as hell) I average 35mpg between my vehicles. If I had the $20k or whatever, I'd rather get a new truck or add to the two wheeled stable. The bike is a lot more fun in the summer, and the Prius/Hybrid ugliness wouldn't do jack in the snow. Basically, I'm reducing emissions in the summer when everybody starts bitching and reducing the demand for fuel

Last edited by Phenix_Rider; 12-03-2008 at 08:45 PM..
Phenix_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Yeah, but the smug factor is well worth wasting the extra money. One of the best South Park's EVER.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:34 PM   #9
pauldun170
Serious Business

I looked at a Prius and if you don't mind the smallish trunk, it's not a bad deal if you need to lug 4 adults around (commuter car pooling car).
On top of that around town it has some grunt that you won't get in a tiny shitbox.
Sure you can pick up Malibu for a little less but 40+ mpg and a car that seems a little more well put together is an attractive option.

If it fits your needs
Old 12-04-2008, 12:54 AM   #10
byron12
cookie head

Moto: I now have cheap chinese pocket bike and a free non running kawasaki cruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Yeah, but the smug factor is well worth wasting the extra money. One of the best South Park's EVER.
It is the best south park ever. The drag of charging heavy ass batteries is not efficient at all. Hell my wifes car gets better miliage than any hybrid on the market but its not particularly trendy though. Hybrids are an idiotic fad that a certain type of asshole eats up meanwhile the marketing execs for toyota and honda are laughing all the way to the bank. Hell keeping a old pick up from the seventies that 5 miles to gallon saves way more energy than hybrid since nobody has to build you a new car and ship it to you for you to buy.
byron12 is offline   Reply With Quote