Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 12-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron12 View Post
It is the best south park ever. The drag of charging heavy ass batteries is not efficient at all. Hell my wifes car gets better miliage than any hybrid on the market but its not particularly trendy though. Hybrids are an idiotic fad that a certain type of asshole eats up meanwhile the marketing execs for toyota and honda are laughing all the way to the bank. Hell keeping a old pick up from the seventies that 5 miles to gallon saves way more energy than hybrid since nobody has to build you a new car and ship it to you for you to buy.
Former co worker Paid 22K and averaged 48MPG with mainly around town driving for her Prius. There's room for 4 adults...normally her husband and 2 teenagers.

What car does your wife drive that gets better gas mileage and does it fit 4 full size adults comfortably.

(Another guy I work with has a diesel Passat which offers a comparable amount of room, nicer interior, but was more expensive and get's mid 30's )
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #12
papapoi
Lost

i drive an 05 dodge neon and im getting 33 mpg. bike on the other hand im getting about 48 mpg. if i baby it i can get about 52 but wheres then fun in that.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #13
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by papapoi View Post
i drive an 05 dodge neon and im getting 33 mpg. bike on the other hand im getting about 48 mpg. if i baby it i can get about 52 but wheres then fun in that.
Don't know the year or trim of your Neon but if you are getting 400+ miles out of every tank then that's pretty impressive.

I think the normal average for that car is about 340 per tank. Unless all you do is 55mph on the highway.

Last edited by pauldun170; 12-04-2008 at 12:15 PM..
Old 12-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
vickibocc
Meh

Moto: the backseat of an '06 600rr

Hybrids really are not that expensive. Yes, theya re more expensive than the regular model of the same car (Civic vs. Civic Hybrid, etc). The Prius is a bit weird looking, but it's built for effiency in the aerodynamics...which is why the new Honda Insight will have the same funny looking hatchback and short nose. But the civic looks exactly the same as the regular model. It starts at about 8k more than the regular model but it depends on what's more important to you.

For those of you that are more into horsepower and an impressive car than high gas mileage...if you knew you could get a significant amount more power out of a car that was 8k more (say its turbocharged or whatever)...I think you would pay it..because being able to go fast is important to you.

But if you're worried about gas mileage and the environment...than the 8k is worth paying to get 10 extra miles to the gallon.

If my Blazer got 31mpg vs. the 21mpg I get now...I'd be all over it. It's a significant difference.
vickibocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #15
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by papapoi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickibocc View Post
Hybrids really are not that expensive. Yes, theya re more expensive than the regular model of the same car (Civic vs. Civic Hybrid, etc). The Prius is a bit weird looking, but it's built for effiency in the aerodynamics...which is why the new Honda Insight will have the same funny looking hatchback and short nose. But the civic looks exactly the same as the regular model. It starts at about 8k more than the regular model but it depends on what's more important to you.

For those of you that are more into horsepower and an impressive car than high gas mileage...if you knew you could get a significant amount more power out of a car that was 8k more (say its turbocharged or whatever)...I think you would pay it..because being able to go fast is important to you.

But if you're worried about gas mileage and the environment...than the 8k is worth paying to get 10 extra miles to the gallon.

If my Blazer got 31mpg vs. the 21mpg I get now...I'd be all over it. It's a significant difference.
Exactly.
Not everyone chases the same performance metric.
For some it's HP, for others it's MPG.

Sure the hippies driving hybrids can get annoying, but so were the asshats driving Suburbans and tahoes just to cart around two kids back and forth to the mall.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #16
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:

the thing about Hibrids is that there is no proof they actually reduce the impact on the enviroment. yes their emissions are lower... but they require batteries that create a lot of harmfull bi products when they're created.

I'd say the majority of people who buy Hibrids are after the savings at the pump... not because they actually care about the environment... if they did... they'd be riding the bus... they'd move closer to their work... they'd bike walk or find another sort of 0 emission transport.

the people who drive hibrids and say it's because they care about the environment are posers... if they really cared they'd change their lifestyle to make as little impact as possible... but no... they care only as long as it's not gonna impact their lives...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #17
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:

if you were at all concerned about the envioronment you would buy a conventional small displacement car and not something that will have such an ugly impact when you eventually send it to the breakers. you might learn how to drive stick too
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #18
vickibocc
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
if you were at all concerned about the envioronment you would buy a conventional small displacement car and not something that will have such an ugly impact when you eventually send it to the breakers. you might learn how to drive stick too
Believe me I'd love to do both of those. Unfortunately, I'm a poor college kid at the moment without any money to get a new car. But my boyfriend can vouch for me that I am car shopping online pretty much every day and a regular sized car will be my first big purchase once I graduate and DO have a full time job. When I bought the Blazer, my boyfriend and I needed something with space because we've been moving just about every year, and something with the capability to tow the bike. But since it's mine and I pay for the gas and insurance (as well as the car of course), I've made it clear that next time, I'm buying something that I want.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #19
vickibocc
Meh

And I haven't heard or read anything about hybrids possibly being bad for the environment because of the batteries. Does anyone have an article or source for this information?
Old 12-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #20
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
And I haven't heard or read anything about hybrids possibly being bad for the environment because of the batteries. Does anyone have an article or source for this information?
http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0003334AA1xn5K

http://www.motorauthority.com/hybrid...hnologies.html

those are just a few I've found... I don't know if I believe they're worse than normal gas or diesel motorvehicles... but they're not what they're cracked up to be IMO.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote