Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 12-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #21
vickibocc
Meh

Moto: the backseat of an '06 600rr

Those were all interesting reads. Thanks for them. I agree that I'm not sure I'm convinced that hybrids are really worse than normal gas vehicles. They may nto be the end-all solution but they are definitely a step in the right direction IMO. That last article talked about how the clever marketing of hybrids is holding back the development of other alternatively fueled vehicles. Before reading that article I was thinking that I was giong to respond saying that soon enough the technology will be improved and concepts like the hydrogen fuel cell honda fcx will be the next step. But after reading that article, people shuold definitely do more research before running out to be a hybrid. I've had my eye on the fcx for a while but it hans;t been released to the masses yet. I've considered holding onto my guzzler attempting to save the money to buy one when they do but am still debating if it'll be more worth it to wait, or get something liek an older civic that gets better mileage than what i have now in the mean time and see where the technology road takes us.
vickibocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #22
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

to be honest... for me the only reason I'd ever drive a hybrid is for the MPG. but I love my truck... and can deal with the 17-20mpg... and I'll drive it till it dies... then probably rebuild it... and by then... I'll either be dead or we'll be out of fuel.

if they can come up with a VIABLE 0 emissions vehicle, that doesn't require me spending 80k and has a range equal to that of my tank of gas... THEN I'll think about it... but until then... fuck that. they're obviously not THAT worried themselves or we'd have the technology right now.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #23
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Screw these hybrids...I only drive stick.
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #24
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

ahh yes... forgot about that... must be manual transmission too
Old 12-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #25
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickibocc View Post
Believe me I'd love to do both of those. Unfortunately, I'm a poor college kid at the moment without any money to get a new car. But my boyfriend can vouch for me that I am car shopping online pretty much every day and a regular sized car will be my first big purchase once I graduate and DO have a full time job. When I bought the Blazer, my boyfriend and I needed something with space because we've been moving just about every year, and something with the capability to tow the bike. But since it's mine and I pay for the gas and insurance (as well as the car of course), I've made it clear that next time, I'm buying something that I want.
why does it have to be a new car? poor college kid and craigslist special go hand in hand. and any old stick shift four banger under 2.5 litres ought to be capable of 30+ in the right hands
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:15 PM   #26
vickibocc
Meh

Moto: the backseat of an '06 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
why does it have to be a new car? poor college kid and craigslist special go hand in hand. and any old stick shift four banger under 2.5 litres ought to be capable of 30+ in the right hands
That's exactly what I look for. I look on craigslist everyday. Not necessarily a new car. Maybe a new car..maybe not. But NOT buying a car costs a lot less than buying a car. And even though I'm sick of the Blazer and filling it up, it's given me next to no problems and is way under the average miles for an 8 year old car. Until I can afford to buy a car, I won't buy a car. Does that not make sense? I've gone back and forth in my head trying to decide if it would make more sense to drive this into the ground while saving because I obviously won't be spending money on a car if I'm not buying one...or if it would be more worth it to trade-in or sell the Blazer and use the money as a down payment on something else. And what it comes down to at the moment is that if I traded in the Blazer as a down payment, I do not make enough money to add another bill (ie-car payments..even on something used) into my life. So again, until I can afford to buy another car, I won't.
vickibocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:51 AM   #27
byron12
cookie head

Moto: I now have cheap chinese pocket bike and a free non running kawasaki cruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Former co worker Paid 22K and averaged 48MPG with mainly around town driving for her Prius. There's room for 4 adults...normally her husband and 2 teenagers.

What car does your wife drive that gets better gas mileage and does it fit 4 full size adults comfortably.

(Another guy I work with has a diesel Passat which offers a comparable amount of room, nicer interior, but was more expensive and get's mid 30's )
It is a honda civic a special california model with a hell of an expensive oxygen censor. That particular car doesn't seat foru aduls comfortably which is not really a requirement for us it would be awkward fo a baby seat, but it could do all these things and it does average 45 or so around town and 50 on highway trips. My dads festiv gets gas milaege in this range as well and can fit for adults comfortably but not any of their shit. Hybrids still suck wait till the warranty runs out and you need to find an independent mechanic to work on it.
byron12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #28
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

I agree with Pauldun.

The Insight looks just like a Prius.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #29
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

If you are looking strictly at the economic component, the hybrids are not yielding viable savings over their working lifetime.

Why they aren't producing diesel hybrids is beyond me. THAT might make some economic sense.

You'd have to keep the car 10 years to make it pay off. That's about 6-7 years beyond the life expectancy of the batteries.

If you were going to keep a car that long, the savings would be in keeping a car that long.

What is the cost savings of keeping a car for 10 years instead of 5?

What are the PRODUCTION savings of keeping a car for 10 years instead of 5?

If someone is serious about being green, don't just buy something that LOOKS green. Think through the entire process of production for cost effectiveness and energy savings.

--Erik Buell

FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #30
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT BSTRD View Post
If you are looking strictly at the economic component, the hybrids are not yielding viable savings over their working lifetime.

Why they aren't producing diesel hybrids is beyond me. THAT might make some economic sense.

You'd have to keep the car 10 years to make it pay off. That's about 6-7 years beyond the life expectancy of the batteries.

If you were going to keep a car that long, the savings would be in keeping a car that long.

What is the cost savings of keeping a car for 10 years instead of 5?

What are the PRODUCTION savings of keeping a car for 10 years instead of 5?

If someone is serious about being green, don't just buy something that LOOKS green. Think through the entire process of production for cost effectiveness and energy savings
VERY good point...
I wonder... if you take someone who owns a 1975 Chevy pickup (we'll pretend it's running ) with a big gas guzzler motor... and could some how measure the amount of polution and harm done to the enviroment by him... and compare it to someone who's purchased a new vehicle every 4 or 5 years.

Accounting for all the emissions of the plants that created the new vehicles... I think the 75 Chevy might be alot greener than one might normally think.