Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 12-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #61
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

Quote:
Of course the folks who like to claim that "My Impala get's 40mpg!!" screw the Prius are always entertaining but the fact is no...your Impala does not average 40mpg...despite the one time you are on the highway and the readout said 40mpg.
Goes hand in hand with my prius gets 60 cause it said that on the dash while I was coasing down the back road.

PS for the record my DRZ can get 65 or so under 60mph all while kicking a prius ass.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #62
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Hybrids current have 3% of the market.
They qualify as fad cars with all the hippy nonsense in the media.

However, as automotive appliances they work. You may get all caught up in the cost benefit of them but they are just cars that chase a different performance metric and there has always been a market for that.

In a way this goes to the whole "Americans want bigger cars that use less gas" thing and here you have vehicles that offer plenty of room and get the economy of smaller cars.

Of course the folks who like to claim that "My Impala get's 40mpg!!" screw the Prius are always entertaining but the fact is no...your Impala does not average 40mpg...despite the one time you are on the highway and the readout said 40mpg.
I see them being sold on 2 fronts to those hippies who should have gone to their science and math class and skipped smoking a joint:
1)they cost less to own and operate
2)they are better for the environment.

And IMO they fail on both. Large vehicle hybrids do the best on the first, But it's still hard to justify the cost difference based on savings. And from what I've heard their manufacture is worse for the enviroment than normal cars.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #63
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
I see them being sold on 2 fronts to those hippies who should have gone to their science and math class and skipped smoking a joint:
1)they cost less to own and operate
2)they are better for the environment.

And IMO they fail on both. Large vehicle hybrids do the best on the first, But it's still hard to justify the cost difference based on savings. And from what I've heard their manufacture is worse for the enviroment than normal cars.

Maybe...just maybe...while some of us are looking for the most HP or someone is looking for the most airbags..
Maybe some people get there kicks out of the little MPG number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #64
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Maybe...just maybe...while some of us are looking for the most HP or someone is looking for the most airbags..
Maybe some people get there kicks out of the little MPG number?
Yeah, maybe ~3% of them, I'm just not sure I want their kind of car, and unfortunately I think that's what we're going to end up with for choices.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #65
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
Yeah, maybe ~3% of them, I'm just not sure I want their kind of car, and unfortunately I think that's what we're going to end up with for choices.
I agree.

I recognize the Prius for what it is and the market it caters too. Same goes for the Escape Hybrid. As an automobile, I think it has value.

However...I'm an asshole. I prefer purity in my cars. I'd rather an old Miata than new GT-r. I'd rather a manual transmission over a "faster" DSG or automatic. I'd trade pure grip for communicative steering and chassis.

I'd do not want to drive a video game. I want something with gears controlled by man and a powerplant the relies on explosions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #66
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
I'd do not want to drive a video game. I want something with gears controlled by man and a powerplant the relies on explosions.
Soon enough we won't even be driving our electric cars.......