Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 12-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #11
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
agreed. I dont see any reason to keep a failing company alive longer. fuck, let em cease operaraions and let toyota or honda buy up the factories to expand their markets more.
What makes you think this is going to happen? They're not going to buy up those factories, they don't need them, and probably don't want them where they're at. If you've noticed, they don't build cars in the same places that Detroit has factories. And that's probably for a reason.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #12
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I'm so sick of us bailing everyone out. What the hell... they just said on teh news that the companies are sure they wouldn't be able to survive the next few WEEKS without the cash.

Like, this is a surprise??!? As if they didn't know, until now, that they only had months left to pay their bills, leases, employees??

How about, we don't give them any money to do with what they please... and it dies?

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #13
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I'm so sick of us bailing everyone out. What the hell... they just said on teh news that the companies are sure they wouldn't be able to survive the next few WEEKS without the cash.

Like, this is a surprise??!? As if they didn't know, until now, that they only had months left to pay their bills, leases, employees??

How about, we don't give them any money to do with what they please... and it dies?
You didn't notice the economy blowup a couple months ago, kinda unexpectedly?

Did you read Honda's leaving F1?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #14
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
You didn't notice the economy blowup a couple months ago, kinda unexpectedly?

Did you read Honda's leaving F1?
No, I saw that.

But, I'm curious... was it that the banks announced they were in trouble, and got bailed out. So, are the others truly in trouble and were looking at solutions for the past year - and saw them bailed so have their hand out? Or, were they just going to let it fail on it's own? Or, did they know they were in trouble?

Is it that one industry got bailed out - so the others are circling the wagons to all get money??

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #15
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

I live and work in Michigan and my company does support (with machines and service) the auto industry. My personal take on this is I would have rather gave a loan to the auto industry than to give a hand out to the banking industry.

But I'd rather not do either. Its too late with the banks and that pisses me off the people that are in Washignton to represent us did the opposite of what we asked for.

Again I think giving the autos a loan would be better than what was given to the banks.

In all truth if the US government was smart(they are not) they should give a tax break to people that invest in the auto industry. In other words give a 5 year no capital gains tax on all auto stocks. Then let the markets decide if people think in 5 years the auto company will be worth more than today they will lend there money to that company if not they will not.

Or go a step farther, the government could insure investments in the auto industry like they do a bank account. I'm sure many investers would love to buy stocks that have a insured value.

If either of the 2 things were done I would invest in Ford in a heart beat Maybe GM but not Chrysler.

Last edited by HRCNICK11; 12-12-2008 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Added last line.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:14 AM   #16
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati_atx View Post
why not just let the company die?
because all the people making $75 an hour putting lug nuts on all day wouldn't know what to do...

(that was only partial sarcasm)

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #17
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
No, I saw that.

But, I'm curious... was it that the banks announced they were in trouble, and got bailed out. So, are the others truly in trouble and were looking at solutions for the past year - and saw them bailed so have their hand out? Or, were they just going to let it fail on it's own? Or, did they know they were in trouble?

Is it that one industry got bailed out - so the others are circling the wagons to all get money??
It's my belief that Detroit would have continued to muddle along producing a huge number of cars, slowly rebuilding it's quality reputation, while trying to deal with the UAW, and their legacy health care costs. If it looked like gas prices would drive a shift to smaller cars, they'd bring out smaller more advanced drive cars, If not they'd crank the truck and SUV lines back up.

It's my opinion a lose of even one of them will bring a huge impact to the economy, and then the tax payers will be providing a handout to all of the people who are dependent on them, Retires, some stockholders, and all of the unemployed generated.

They're not still making buggies, and god forbid we need the plants to build tanks and planes like they did in WW2.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #18
ducati_atx
Yuppie Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
because all the people making $75 an hour putting lug nuts on all day wouldn't know what to do...

(that was only partial sarcasm)

Im guessing the would quickly figure out they should look for a job making 10-12/hr.
ducati_atx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #19
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati_atx View Post

Im guessing the would quickly figure out they should look for a job making 10-12/hr.
they could save themselves some time and not have to look - and they'll probably still be making more than 3 times that.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #20
ducati_atx
Yuppie Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
they could save themselves some time and not have to look - and they'll probably still be making more than 3 times that.

Ya - the only "sticking point" was about 2-3/hr according to the news. Damn, take a paycut and not risk being unemployed. Of course, in the end - they probably know they can play hardball cause someone with no nuts in our government will hop in and bail them out so they get re-elected.
ducati_atx is offline   Reply With Quote