Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 03-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #71
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Maygin View Post
If you read my post after that, it wasn't about the height so much as how big the bike is in width. If you put 3 bikes next to each other, all with the seat the same height off the floor, but one is a 1000, ones a 600 and the other a 250, "you" will set on each differently. At least I did with all the ones I sat on.
YOu can put 6 600's and they would each be different widths as well. The other important factor in being able to manage the bike (with shorter legs) is WHERE the weight is. I can tiptoe hold most bikes with one tiptoe down as long as the weight isn't up too high. When the weight is higher, I have to have more than one tiptoe down.

Quote:
Hmm, I see what you're saying. Didn't mean to generalize incorrectly. Remember, I am still new to this. The numbers are the size of the engines, yes? So wouldn't a 1000 pretty much be about the same size on every bike? The body and what not would be different, yes, but... Or am I completely off here?

it's the INTERNAL size of the motor, not the external size. There are radical differences in height, width, weight between all motorcycles regardless of engine CC's

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:27 AM   #72
Mistress Maygin
Megatron

Moto: Nothing yet, but hoping for something soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
YOu can put 6 600's and they would each be different widths as well. The other important factor in being able to manage the bike (with shorter legs) is WHERE the weight is. I can tiptoe hold most bikes with one tiptoe down as long as the weight isn't up too high. When the weight is higher, I have to have more than one tiptoe down.

it's the INTERNAL size of the motor, not the external size. There are radical differences in height, width, weight between all motorcycles regardless of engine CC's
Okey dokey!

Until recently, the only seat I ever took was bitch. That always feels the same: f-in' uncomfortable!

I've only taken driver's seat on a few bikes, so I can only speak from experience about those. '05 cbr 1000, I can touch my tippy toes to the ground, but the weight of it was a little too much for me to manhandle with ease. An r6 (not sure what year), feet on the ground, but still not light enough to throw around. the pit bike in my pictures- PERFECT!

The point is: Like with driving, to me it isn't about how it looks or how fast it goes, but how comfortable I feel in control of it. I like vettes not because of their social status or price tag, but because it's the safest I've ever felt driving a car. The control i had was amazing, even at high speeds. Getting a bike will be the same, if I feel more comfortable on one particular 1k than I do on a 250, I'll buy the 1k hands down. I doubt that will happen, though, but we'll see. I don't want the temptation of too much power before I learn control.
So lovely, it feels so right

I want to hold you close
Soft breath, beating heart
As I whisper in your ear
I want to fucking tear you apart

Last edited by Mistress Maygin; 03-14-2008 at 10:29 AM..
Mistress Maygin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #73
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
What's worse are the people/dealers who will sell these hefty bikes to obvious beginners.
A lot of times dealers will work great deals on big bikes that you could never get if you were actually wanting a litre bike.

A buddy of mine got a Ninja250 about 2-3 months ago. But he felt very unstable on it and didn't like going above 60mph on it. So he sold it and bought an 08 SV650s. Which I adviced him to get a used SV650 but he really wanted a full fairing bike. So he got it and he has improved greatly since he got it. Anyways he was waiting for his bike to come in for a month and the dealer offered him a SV1000 for an awesome price. He thought about it but I talked him out of it thankfully. He thought he'd be alright with the TQ(Other friends where trying to talk him into it) but I talked him out of it. I tried to get him to hop on the back of a Buddy's RC51 to demostrate what the TQ would be like. Either way a Newbie with a ton of TQ is no good.

Then another guy on a Georgia forum ended up with an R1 for his 1st bike. He wanted a R6(still powerful but better than a R1). But the asshole salesman said he'd get bored with the power of a 600 and he could get him a R1 for a little more than the 600. Which when we are searching for our first bike we'll take just about anything as long as it gets on on the road.

Luckily the kid is a smart kid and posted on the board after he got it and admited he felt he made a bad mistake and that hte bike scared him to death. Too bad for him he is still upside down on his payment but he's been riding very conservitly so he might be okay.

I started out on a POS 1994 Yamaha SecaII. Maybe 60hp and in a drag race would hang dead even with a stock 350z up to 90mph(THen it would leave me). Then moved to a 1996 Honda CBR600 F3 that I had to peice together and with my setup may have 95whp at the most under perfect conditions.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #74
Mule
Snidely Whiplash

Moto: 05 xb9sx

before i sold my ex-girlfriends buell blast, i would take it out routinely to charge it up and get the fluids movin....it was damned uncomfortable for my 6'0" tall frame, i'd end up sitting on the bitch seat and treating it like a chopper.....

My City Cross isn't all that accomodating for my height either, but i deal with it....as far as starting out with a beginner bike, my City Cross may have not been the most suitable bike to start off with, but I survived and have gotten use to it's low-end torque. I wouldn't trade my beginning experiences with it for anything....
Old 03-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #75
upshift
Looing for a bike...

Moto: Nothing at the moment

Good post ebbs One of the guys on the mustang forum has an '05 CBR600RR as his first bike. He said he wouldn't have bought it if he'd known it would have so much power. Twofiddy's FTW!
upshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:34 AM   #76
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Update: My bike was a beginner bike
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:56 AM   #77
Full Throttle
~Italian Stallion~

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF-R6

Yeah my Bike i believe was a perfect begginer bike. Its A 250 but has full farings and has the crotch rocket feel and look to it... i know the New ninja has that look to it but oh well... mine has a bunch of stuff the ninja doesnt like digital screen,larger tank,more low to mid range torque for quicker starts, and larger tires for more stability...i think i did good with my choice now i need to sell and get a 600 ive put 6500 miles on it and now i want something bigger... a CBR,R6,ZX6,F4i,Katana(dont really want to heavy)SV650 or similar. But i myself have been very grateful to have a 250 and not a 600 or 1000... because if i had a bigger bike i know i would be in the hospital there are so many times over the past couple of months that really could of ended baddly if i didnt have that 250... anyways i recommend that everyone should start on a 250...and yes there are some small exceptions but y take the risk just buy the best selling bike ever AKA ninja 250 and have a few fun months on it then sell it(its the best selling bike so you know your going to sell it dont worry) just think twice before you go and buy that 600 or 1000....
Old 04-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #78
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

My first street bike was a '70's two-stroke two-fiddy, made about 18-20 hp when you wrung it's neck. I then graduated to a 350 sized bike (380 Suz two-stroker, it made a whopping 32 hp at the crank....mebbe 25-6 at the rear wheel), which carried me over 70,000 miles over the next 3 yrs, over most of the lower 48 states. I raced it, toured on it and used it as my daily commuter. I'm not certain I have EVER needed more power than what that little Suz supplied. Don't get me wrong.....I LOOOOOOVVE hp, speed and quickness in a motorcycle. But riding an "underpowered" bike quickly teaches you the things you may never learn on something that scares the bejeepers out of you;

retaining cornerspeed, finding the true apex, picking a good line, braking properly, smoothness, grace and precision. Make a mistake on a HP bike and you can cover it with a twist of the throttle; be ham-fisted or sloppy on a "slow" bike and it shows up like a whore in a revival meeting.

JMHO

Last edited by OTB; 04-16-2008 at 02:51 PM..
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #79
Iv
Fosho!

Moto: 600rr trackslut

Sportbikes can be beginner bikes, it all depends on the rider...

.02 c
Iv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #80
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

the origional post... though made by me was not written by me... but it's point wasn't saying Sportbikes can't be used as beginner bikes... several people, myself included, have proved that already...

it's point is saying they're not MADE TO BE BEGINNER BIKES...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote