Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #38
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

I switched from an 02 VTX1800 to an 06 FZ1 last year...because I want to ride like an asshole!!

Not really, but I did want a bike that was more capable in the twisties and still comfortable enough to ride all day. After riding a few years and improving the suspension on the VTX to get all I could out of it, I found that when I got in a groove I could ride that bike at about 98% of what it could do in the curves. I was replacing the pegs once a year and some days I was grinding hard points on roads I knew really well and knew I had that 2% left. But it didn't take long for my sense of preservation to overcome the adrenaline and decide I needed a bike that I could ride at a "spirited" clip with plenty of "bike" leftover for that "oh shit" moment that was bound to come sometime. In all honesty, I've hardly pushed the FZ1 (3k miles since I got it) faster than I rode the VTX on my favorite roads around here and I can tell I'm hardly making the bike work. I'm sure as I get used to the bike (and get a rear shock for my fat ass) I'll pick the pace up some but I really don't like to ride stupid fast on the street. I hope I don't get to where I try to reach the capabilities of this bike on the street because I don't think I have the reflexes to keep up with it now. I do want to rock a trackday first chance I get though and really play with the FZ, I know I'll have a blast!

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote