Default Electric Derbi

I like...

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4083/3/

More please.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
PiZdETS
⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

Moto: ⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

Okay the supermotard is reasonably priced at $5800 but peaks at 20 horsepower (they stupidly don't list torque which is an electric powered vehicles greatest bonus), tops out at 62 mph and has a range of 40 miles. It's also probably as heavy or heavier than a gas burning motard with thrice the horsepower and 5 times the range.

Yeah there's still some development left. I also really enjoy the sound of my motorcycle, the complete silent sound other than the belts moving is kind of unnerving on electrics. Maybe loud pipes don't really save that many lives but a complete silence will definitely end a few.

We saw an electric motorcycle leaving the race at Indy, drewpy, captain, trock and kat saw it also I believe.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
Gunther1000
Jesus Christ!

Moto: (The Chi's lover)

Well hopefully spoting one Someday wont be right up there with a Big foot or unicorn sighting.

Forward thinking. I like change.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
jeeps84
No longer MIA

Moto: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther1000 View Post
Well hopefully spoting one Someday wont be right up there with a Big foot or unicorn sighting.

Forward thinking. I like change.
Electric cars, bikes are coming. The world demands it.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
Gunther1000
Jesus Christ!

I like the idea of even a 40 mile range. It would mean getting to and from work for most with zero gas what so ever and zero loot going to the middle east. Now if they get more popular we can all have one for a reasonable fee. converting a $3000 ninja 250 would be a good place to start. I hope to see groves of them for sale this fall (08 250's) and next year even more so. If not an electric I will surely be looking at doing a 350 banshee 2-stroke conversion.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
jeeps84
No longer MIA

Moto: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train

The down side is our electric grid will have to improve to supply the extra draw from every house. Plus it would be a trade off for the power plants that are coal assist.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Gunther1000
Jesus Christ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeps84 View Post
The down side is our electric grid will have to improve to supply the extra draw from every house. Plus it would be a trade off for the power plants that are coal assist.
From what I see on the T.V. everyday things are a changin on that front as well. Its about time things are modernized to the level of 2008 and beyond.

I'm sure the impact of a few hundred thousand electric cars and motorcycles will help to upgrade said power infastructure that much sooner if people really take them seriously and demand better reliabilty from there community power structure.

A few years back when there was a huge power outage stemming from Niagra Falls all the way to MI left me without power for 10 days. That was not a good time in August to be without air or refrigeration.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther1000 View Post
I like the idea of even a 40 mile range. It would mean getting to and from work for most with zero gas what so ever and zero loot going to the middle east. Now if they get more popular we can all have one for a reasonable fee. converting a $3000 ninja 250 would be a good place to start. I hope to see groves of them for sale this fall (08 250's) and next year even more so. If not an electric I will surely be looking at doing a 350 banshee 2-stroke conversion.
You have to consider the overall footprint of the bike. Yeah, it's zero dollars at the pumps and zero emissions out of the pipes, but how much money does it cost you in electricity to charge it up? How much coal is burned or pollution is created to generate the electricity to charge the bike? What about the eventual battery disposal?

Electric vehicles are a great idea, but we have to look at all aspects of it before we assume it's all green and eco friendly.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
Gunther1000
Jesus Christ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
You have to consider the overall footprint of the bike. Yeah, it's zero dollars at the pumps and zero emissions out of the pipes, but how much money does it cost you in electricity to charge it up? How much coal is burned or pollution is created to generate the electricity to charge the bike? What about the eventual battery disposal?

Electric vehicles are a great idea, but we have to look at all aspects of it before we assume it's all green and eco friendly.
Right, I hear ya. Coal = Bad. Now is it worse than buying gasoline?

Really, honestly, I don't care. Like I said I believe the greater issue is being worked on and if not oh well.

I just like seeing out of the box designs. I really wouldn't care if I had to put hair spray in the thing to make it go. The point is it is different and has a chance to not only expose new riders who may be looking for an alternative to high gas prices ( I could be wrong but isnt that why so many are jumping on Honda Sprees and mopeds nowadays?) but would be a safer and smaller alternative to a 600cc from the big 4.

I'm not trying to come off as a dick here as some may take it, I'm just saying its nice to see someone trying something else.

Like I said I like a different approch from time to time. I'm not concerned with our energy structure or saving the planet. I will leave that one to the really smart politicians.