Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 10-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
mondos06cbr1000
Kneedragger

Moto: 2006 CBR1000RR
Default Taken out at NHMS

Hey guys, been a long time since I posted here but w/e

So i started doing trackdays on my CBR1000rr, did 3 of them then bumped to intermediate 1/2 way through the 3rd one. Went to do one last one on the 30th of Sept and had a bad incident.

On the final lap of the first session I was coming around turn 3-4 and into the bowl going at a good speed. I was feeling good, tires started warming up, i started to get back in the groove, and was anxious to pit in to adjust the tire pressure and go out on the next session.

Well unfortunately for me and another rider that was not to happen. As soon as I entered the bowl the rider behind me lost all braking power, and ended up bailing on the bike....and as luck has it the bike slid right into me mid appex. Nick was right behind us and has it all on camera (he was going over 90mph and the rider in front of him who crashed into me was pulling on him, so needless to say the R6 was going faster than 90mph when it hit me...who knows how fast I was going haha).

Well it knocked the bike right out from underneath me and I ended up ontop of the other riders bike....and his handle bar got caught under my jacket of my two piece. So basically I was attached to his bike and couldnt move and was along for the ride. It finally stopped before the Air Wall and was still attached until the other rider helped me off. Then I noticed the terrible pain in my left calf/ankle area. Well the ambulances came out and took me in and checked me over and taped me up, and I stayed the rest of the day...kinda hobbling around. BTW my bike ended up upside down and in between two air walls. I have no Idea how it got there.

I also want to note that I have no hard/ill feelings towards that rider whos bike hit me, there was nothing he or I coulda done (except me be 1 second faster)

When I went and got my bike I noticed it needed a few new parts
I need a new:

Swingarm
Fairing Stay
Engine and clutch covers
Shift linkage and pedal
new battery tray
The plastics actually survived pretty well, esp for hotbodies, and im so glad I went ahead and bought them and ignored the people that said I wouldnt need them for trackdays
And it wont start.
Need a new zipper for my jacket, but aside that my gear is good, helmet didnt hit the ground. And I still dont have scuffs on my knee pucks

I have a broken fibula in my left leg (its not a bad break) from where that riders bike actually hit me, and will be out of comission for 4-6 weeks. Might not need crutches long cause its a bone that isn't weight bearing (thank god for my fat ass)

My season is over, no biggie, not gonna go through insurance, will make a winter project out of it. If i could I woulda gone back out today, but my ankle felt like shit haha.

here I am just getting back into the groove on the first few laps

Then...

as you can see the force of getting pulled by the handle bars combine with my weight busted the zipper but luckily it still held together at the top

heres an upclose of my swingarm

first picture is me finally coming to a stop, you can see the silver swingarm of my bike in the background

thats me finally stopped and realizing my ankle KILLED, btw Alpinestar gear held up good!

and here is the video

YouTube - Mondos bad day

They figured out what happend to the riders bike...his caliper bolts wern't torqued down and they backed out on him and on the final lap his caliper came off haha. Heres a pic

I already bought a swingarm for 80$ on Ebay
Bought a battery tray for 50$
Got a new engine cover for FREE
Got a new windscreen for FREE
Still gotta buy a fairing stay, shift linkage, bar end, and new SBK tail
The plastics aside from the tail are good to go!

WORD

Full Akra TI Evo / Hex Canister, PC-III custom map, BMC Race filters, Woodcraft Rearsets, Pazzo Levers, OEM Cowl Seat, Flapper Mod, Sporttech windscreen
Pirelli DCIII's 190/55, Flushmounts, Jardine Fender Eliminator, EBC brake pads

1995 XR250R- Dirt Toy

Delta CO 181 Infantry

Last edited by mondos06cbr1000; 10-12-2009 at 01:29 AM..
mondos06cbr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:56 AM   #2
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Holy crap dude, glad you're okay, and got some badass pics of the crash.

Did the goob who didnt tighten his bolts at least apologize for totally screwing you?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:57 AM   #3
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Damn. That's badass you have all those pics and that video. Especially the pic of that dude's bike with the caliper going on its own ride! Some dude was wondering about using a 2-piece vs. a 1-piece and I'm using your pics to prove a point. Proly wouldn't have happened in a 1-piece.

Hope you're doing good, man. I'll have to hit you up again when I go back home. Won't be 'til next year, wifey and I are going to the Phillippines in Dec.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:18 AM   #4
was92v
Nowhere Man

Safety Wire the caliper bolts!! Sucks that you got taken out but happy you are on the mend.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

That video made it look like you had a target on your back and that bike tracked right back to you
Old 10-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Shit man. First, I'm glad you're ok. Second, glad you posted over here. Third, holy shit. Fourth, sweet 1125R with that camera.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
mondos06cbr1000
Kneedragger

Moto: 2006 CBR1000RR

hahah thanks for the well wishes guys!

The thing is if i didn't have a two piece I might have been thrown from the bike...and then hit by the R6....while i got dragged by the R6 which took most of the beating...not me...its weird how shit works like that.

Full Akra TI Evo / Hex Canister, PC-III custom map, BMC Race filters, Woodcraft Rearsets, Pazzo Levers, OEM Cowl Seat, Flapper Mod, Sporttech windscreen
Pirelli DCIII's 190/55, Flushmounts, Jardine Fender Eliminator, EBC brake pads

1995 XR250R- Dirt Toy

Delta CO 181 Infantry
mondos06cbr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Glad to hear youre ok. Any luck starting it yet? Will it crank? My first thought is open kickstand circuit followed by fuel and oil in your cylinders and fouled plugs
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Ouch!

Glad you are alright, weird wreck right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Glad you are okay, now go baby and fix that honda!
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote