Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #21
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Nope......"You're on candid camera"
He was South Asian so the first thing that I did was use the superior cold tolerance granted me by way of my 'skirt in a high wind' wearing ancestors, to make sure that he was chilled to the bone in the -17C air. Then, after his teeth were chattering and he practically begged to do the collision write-up in my car, where he asked if I would take cash rather than report the collision, I said no and pointed to the cameras saying, "And in case you decide that you want to change your story...."

A 'Candid Camera' quip would have been lost on him.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #22
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
He was South Asian

I was watching TMZ last night and they had some asian on there strutting and talking about "making it rain" with debit cards saying "I'm asian I've got GREAT CREDIT...my FICA score is NUTS"

I couldn't help but think "Well at least he's got insurance" after you said Asian

Here, he'd be "southern america's" without a license, insurance, registration, current tags, and the officer would let him go and tell you that you're fucked and hope you have uninsured motorist coverage
Old 01-29-2014, 05:40 PM   #23
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

[QUOTE=Gas Man;533128]You fuckers in the south can't handle the snow... PERIOD!

QUOTE]

Hmm? Blizzard of 1991 I worked graveyard 25 miles away from home. I didn't miss a day of work nor was I late. My ride? 1983 920 Virago. I beeped the horn and waved at the 4X4's digging themselves out of the ditches! If I had the knobbies on the KLR instead of the street tires, I would be riding now! Although, I prefer the Virago for snow duty. Lower center of gravity. Easier to slide around with less severe consequences.
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #24
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
I was watching TMZ last night and they had some asian on there strutting and talking about "making it rain" with debit cards saying "I'm asian I've got GREAT CREDIT...my FICA score is NUTS"

I couldn't help but think "Well at least he's got insurance" after you said Asian

Here, he'd be "southern america's" without a license, insurance, registration, current tags, and the officer would let him go and tell you that you're fucked and hope you have uninsured motorist coverage
Brampton has the highest insurance rates in this Province, if not Canada as a whole. We also have something like a 38% South Asian population.

A few years ago the Province closed down something like 11 driving schools for effectively selling driver's licenses. If I remember correctly 7 of them were in Brampton. That's out of the whole Province.

Then there's this little tidbit from today's news:

http://www.thestar.com/news/investig...ke_a_buck.html

My supplementary health insurance company sent out a news letter, last year, detailing 8 local physiotherapy clinics that they would not reimburse for, because they were linked to automotive insurance scams. Five were in Brampton. Not a Western European name running a single one of them. in fact I could narrow most of them down to one single country of origin; Sri Lanka.

This little piece ties into that too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tubPwVSx0_o

"Ragu", as he's come to be known, listed multiple residences. A couple were in Brampton.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #25
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Wow, Just like that he went right over...So without your dash cam I assume he claims you sideswiped him and he walks away with a decent insurance payment.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #26
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
The story always seems to change AFTER the fact once the proficee didn't come true (convenient)
Old 01-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #27
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

When I'm in Atlanta, I'm always fascinated by the amount of cars driving around on bald tires.
New cars, old cars, expensive cars, it makes no difference.
Down to the steel belt seems to be the general guideline for tire usage down there.
In Atlanta, it appeared that there was an unwritten rule that whenever a car is aquired, the stock wheels are to be discarded and replaced with aftermarket wheels. Those wheels are to be then shod with low profile summer tires and then those tires are shaved down. My guess is that the owner wasn't happy with the lowness of the profile and wanted it even lower. That or "it just like racing slicks".
All driven by people who embrace tailgaiting, and drive like assholes.

I can only imaging what its like when you toss in snow and ice.

As for ice and snow, I live in a hilly neighborhood filled with dead ends that the town rarely visits. My house is at the top of a hill with a steep driveway on a dead end that rarely gets plowed and we never get salt. At most, its a local guy in a pickup tossing some sand down. As long as you keep your distance and travel at a safe speed, its all shits and giggles for me. My fwd drive car with all seasons gets me where I have to go.
I driving a manual with no ABS, no traction control, no stability control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #28
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
Wow, Just like that he went right over...So without your dash cam I assume he claims you sideswiped him and he walks away with a decent insurance payment.
And there's far too much of that, around here, which is why I run cameras. It's also why I pointed the cameras out to him, in case he was thinking of reporting things differently. The Police and insurance companies are on notice that I have the video. Police didn't care, since they wouldn't really be able to make a charge stick without having been at the scene. The insurance company hasn't asked for it yet. Presumably they will if his company denies fault.

Here are a few more for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXydk4FLrvo

There are two collisions in this one. One of them is me getting tapped from behind while the other is a van driver who I believe was on his cell phone, plowing into the vehicle in front of him pretty quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kHzrWIL0bo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
When I'm in Atlanta, I'm always fascinated by the amount of cars driving around on bald tires.
New cars, old cars, expensive cars, it makes no difference.
Down to the steel belt seems to be the general guideline for tire usage down there.
In Atlanta, it appeared that there was an unwritten rule that whenever a car is aquired, the stock wheels are to be discarded and replaced with aftermarket wheels. Those wheels are to be then shod with low profile summer tires and then those tires are shaved down. My guess is that the owner wasn't happy with the lowness of the profile and wanted it even lower. That or "it just like racing slicks".
All driven by people who embrace tailgaiting, and drive like assholes.

I can only imaging what its like when you toss in snow and ice.

As for ice and snow, I live in a hilly neighborhood filled with dead ends that the town rarely visits. My house is at the top of a hill with a steep driveway on a dead end that rarely gets plowed and we never get salt. At most, its a local guy in a pickup tossing some sand down. As long as you keep your distance and travel at a safe speed, its all shits and giggles for me. My fwd drive car with all seasons gets me where I have to go.
I driving a manual with no ABS, no traction control, no stability control.
While I was at the collision reporting centre, yesterday, I heard three people saying that their tires were bald. I wonder why they were there? Hmmmmm.....

Old 01-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #29
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
You fuckers in the south can't handle the snow... PERIOD!
From living in Alaska and my experiences in Tennessee, the people in the north can't either. People who were most often in the snow bank in Alaska were the badass pro drivers from the north with their badass ready to go 4WD SUVs and trucks all ready to jump any size snow drift. It was point of laughter up there. Typical overconfidence of skill and conditions.

It's the same thing I saw this week. People with mini vans, small cars, small trucks taking in conditions that they weren't use to in stride and slowing down to compensate for the bad conditions they had no experience in handling. Then you got the morons with their super awesome 4WD SUVs ready to just go hauling ass through the ice and making sure everyone gets the fuck out of their way only to wind up sliding into a ditch.

I stuck on the interstate for an hour in Chattanooga after leaving work early because they didn't treat the interstate and by the time they decided to do something, no one could make it up the ridge cut without getting stuck. Plows finally came through and shut it down so they could plow lanes up it. Most everyone was handling it well and giving plenty of room in the bad conditions we don't normally see in this area.

This time has a lot to do with complete lack of preparation. I had no idea it was even suppose to snow that day and conditions were fine by the time most of us went to work, no one had any idea it would actually stick to the roads and get to a level of it actually being packed snow on the interstate. The meterologists missed it completely. By the time they realized this, it was too late to stop the chaos that ensued.

Last edited by Trip; 01-30-2014 at 02:18 PM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #30
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
This time has a lot to do with complete lack of preparation. I had no idea it was even suppose to snow that day and conditions were fine by the time most of us went to work, no one had any idea it would actually stick to the roads and get to a level of it actually being packed snow on the interstate. The meterologists missed it completely. By the time they realized this, it was too late to stop the chaos that ensued.
We had a bit of that too Tuesday morning. Forecasts didn't predict the buildup of ice that occurred around when most folks were leaving for work or sending their kids to school (and then conditions just kept worsening until the temps got high enough for shit to start to melt - around noon, I think). Most school districts ended up cancelling with plenty of warning to parents, but a couple waited until the last minute (after several kids were already at school or on buses) to delay or cancel.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote