Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #11
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbs View Post
True - makes the most sense... It's ridiculous to think this is not a choice. I laugh at people when they "need" cigarettes or alcohol or other things.. Trust me - I like to drink.. At the right time.. Will power is a very rare commodity.
I'm an alcoholic, from a family of alcoholic Scots descendants, who could put the Irish to shame. It's not necessarily a choice to be an addict. I'm firmly convinced that everyone is an addict in waiting; it's just that some haven't found the magic substance yet. I shudder to think how many so called clean and sober people would be broke and on the streets, if they ever tried cocaine or heroine.

And while I believe that being an addict isn't necessarily a choice, giving into that addiction is one. In the last 30 years I've had maybe 3 beers and no hard liquor. I realized where I was going, when I was 20, and put a stop to it when I saw too much of my father in myself. Every few years I would test myself and say, "Nope, I haven't changed."

So I don't curse the addicts for being addicts. I curse them for not having the balls to walk away.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #12
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I'm firmly convinced that everyone is an addict in waiting
Interwebz....pr0n, games, forums, facebook, whatever, I MUST HAVE IT!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
CasterTroy

Quote:
I'm an alcoholic......In the last 30 years I've had maybe 3 beers and no hard liquor. I realized where I was going, when I was 20, and put a stop to it when I saw too much of my father in myself. Every few years I would test myself and say, "Nope, I haven't changed."

So I don't curse the addicts for being addicts. I curse them for not having the balls to walk away.

Man hats off to you!

I've seen many people in the last few days trying to equate addiction to a disease, and one even INSISTING it IS a disease and declaring that everyone should "raise awareness" of that "disease".
While I totally agree that awareness is the key, having lost my father to alcoholism I have to totally DISagree on it being a "disease". I don't think anyone with cancer was given a choice to "try it" and then became addicted to it's clutches. I don't recall a single instance where someone encouraged another person to "just try" heart disease.
Addiction has a very distinct beginning, which starts with a CHOICE. You CHOOSE to smoke your first joint. You CHOOSE to your first line, try your first beer. And just like YOU said, giving IN to that addiction is a CHOICE.
No one CHOOSES to try cancer. And true diseases like cancer are not something that's COMPLETELY preventable (whereas addiction can be prevented by exactly what you said: never starting)
Where we fail those who have fallen into addiction is by attempting to divert the accountability elsewhere. And ironically, that's what's wrong with society as a whole; dodging accountability for your own actions.
When we see addiction tear someone we love more than anything in life apart, it's EASY to attempt to assign blame elsewhere because we want to believe that person couldn't do this themselves...but in the end they DID. Addiction is an effect of a cause. Some causes are deep seeded emotional problem, some are bad wiring, and some come from great physical and emotional abuse. Others are just plain WEAKNESS (p0rn, iPhone, FB, that Mt Dew at 2:30) But there IS a cause, and addiction is the effect.
We're not going to make addiction go away by relocating the blame. We can make it go away by being aware of what the CAUSES are and trying to fix them. Or at least making everyone aware the potential dangers OF addiction to whatever it is that they "haven't found yet"
Old 02-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #14
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

There was a time when things like addiction were considered a weakness of character. Now we've gone all the way over to it being a 'disease.' It's not really either thing. You can have a psychological, physiological, or even perhaps genetic obsessive predilection for something. Being exposed to that thing will reveal that preference, but doesn't create it.

From that point on it becomes a choice as to whether you indulge in that thing, or walk away from it. Failing to recognize that this particular thing is something that you can't partake of in moderation is a failure to realize simple fact. Self delusion, if you will, because you want a reason to continue to do it. "I can't stop!" Bullshit. It's uncomfortable to stop, not impossible.

I quit, cold turkey, because I can't drink in moderation. I'm either sober as a judge, or stone drunk far more often than I should be. I see too many people who don't think that they're alcoholics because they only get pissed to the gills once or twice a week. Hint: If there's a pattern to you getting drunk, then you're an alcoholic. If you go home after work and "have a few beers to unwind and get a light buzz", then you're an alcoholic. Stop kidding yourself. The same applies to weed, coke, or whacking off; you're an addict.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #15
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

Quote:
The same applies to weed, coke, or whacking off; you're an addict.
Hi! My name's Turbo Ghost and I'm an addict.

I'll let you guess what I'm addicted to!
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #16
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
Hi! My name's Turbo Ghost and I'm an addict.

I'll let you guess what I'm addicted to!
Weed, coke AND whacking off?

Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #17
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

Quote:
Weed, coke AND whacking off?
Nah! Just whacking off! Ya know though...I'm pretty sure this is an addiction I can beat!
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:50 PM   #18
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Does this shit make sense in your head before you post it? Or do you just type random strings of half thoughts and are too lazy to proof read?
I'm here for you.

Quote:
Nah! Just whacking off! Ya know though...I'm pretty sure this is an addiction I can beat!
It's only an addiction if you admit it.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #19
CasterTroy

Quote:
fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap

Hey, it add's 10 yrs to the average males life.

I'll likely live to be 137
Old 02-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #20
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Don't forget the lotion.