Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-21-2009, 03:52 AM   #1
Dragonpaco
Alleged Puppy Pimper

Moto: Shadow 750 Ace
Default 2 frames, 1 title

one of my bikes didnt come with a title, i got a mangled frame for it that does have a title, i was wondering how legal it would be to just weld the vin from the mangled frame onto the frame i want to use and have it titled as such? what do you guys think? froma monetary standpoint it would cost rougly $700 to get the title recovered and the mangled frame is already mine.
Opinions are nothing like assholes, opinions are like vaginas, less then half of everyone has one, everyone else uses one that isn't their own, and there is no better way to fit in or be cast out than to share yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I don't give a fuck if it's Hitler cake, it's still CAKE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
You can come back here with me after the rally and do it!!!
Dragonpaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:42 AM   #2
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco View Post
one of my bikes didnt come with a title, i got a mangled frame for it that does have a title, i was wondering how legal it would be to just weld the vin from the mangled frame onto the frame i want to use and have it titled as such? what do you guys think? froma monetary standpoint it would cost rougly $700 to get the title recovered and the mangled frame is already mine.
Does your good frame have a vin? If so, you might be able to an abandoned vehicle title (don't know if anyplace still does those anymore). There has got be a way to get a title for a vehicle with a vin as long as you can prove ownership. Do you have a bill of sale for the good frame?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

If there is no other way... I'd just do it.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Unfortunately, I don't think it would be legal at all.

But, whether I would do it or not, would depend on how your DMV works. Here, they don't inspect the VIN plate. They will allow you to make a pencil rubbing of the VIN plate and bring it into the office, especially if you tell them it's hard to get to, and/or see, without removing stuff that blocks the view.

If they insist on a visual inspection, your welded up VIN plate is not likely to fool anyone.

JC
Old 02-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I have never had the Secretary of State (Michigan DMV) look at a vin plate or even inquire about proof of shit.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

Moto: '01, 929RR

First off, I wouldn't be posting this up in open forum for the black helicopter guys to be looking at.
Second, I would have just went with my gut and used the VIN plate and title that I had and made it look as realistic as possible.
Third, illeagal is a sick bird. Unlawful is the word you are searching for.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Somehow, the thread title made me believe this would be an entirely different (and most likely disturbing) topic

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
Dragonpaco
Alleged Puppy Pimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKIMON View Post
First off, I wouldn't be posting this up in open forum for the black helicopter guys to be looking at.
Second, I would have just went with my gut and used the VIN plate and title that I had and made it look as realistic as possible.
Third, illeagal is a sick bird. Unlawful is the word you are searching for.

the thing is, i've ran both vin numbers several times to make sure nobody is missing the bike. it's 100% clean it all comes down to me being too cheap to buy a non mangled frame and too lazy to swap out everything if i ever got one
Opinions are nothing like assholes, opinions are like vaginas, less then half of everyone has one, everyone else uses one that isn't their own, and there is no better way to fit in or be cast out than to share yours

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
Dragonpaco
Alleged Puppy Pimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Somehow, the thread title made me believe this would be an entirely different (and most likely disturbing) topic
like 2 bikes chugging used oil from a paper cup made of a title?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

I'm gonna agree with AMJ.

In FL, they require either the DMV to visually inspect the bike (if it's there) or a cop had to take a look at it if it's at your house.

Another thing to think about. IF you do manage to get it through the DMV, what happens if you ever get pulled over? Even if you have a title for that vin, the cop sees the welded up vin plate and he's gonna think you're a bike thief. And you don't even need to get pulled over. If the bikes parked and someone raises the BS flag, then you're not gonna have a leg to stand on. All in all, welded on vin plate screams that it's been stolen.

If I were you, I'd use the bike with the junk frame for parts and try to legally get a title for the good frame. I'd even say that my ex burnt the title, so long as I've got a bill of sale.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote