Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600
Default Some More Pictures Of The Wreck Weekend.

By Chance I have my friend's camera after yesterdays 300 mile ride. We went up into the North Ga Mountains and had a blast. My friend gained some confidence back after his gravel wipe out and I simply promised not to stop if he biffed it.

For those that didn't know, two weeks ago my friend and I went into the mountains. He went wide on a turn and low sided on some gravel. Once I turned around and came to his aid, I pulled off the road (not knowing of the gravel) and wiped out as well. To make the story very funny some poor dude stopped to help us and about 10 minutes after leaving, he returned with a totaled bike. He said he accidentally down shifted in a turn and high sided. I am sure he thinks we passed on bad juju.

Any ways, here are better pics.

This is where my friend accidentally went wide of the white line and right into the gravel.

Scary place to stop and fix up no?

My Bike

My friend pointed out that if I had left the passenger pegs on I probably wouldn't have lost the tail piece. Needless to say this weekend, I had them on.

Both of us were sorta scared to see my Woodcraft Frame Slider in the condition that it was. The impact must have been pretty hard for it to pop out like it did. The exact same sliders on my friends bike did their job perfectly as you will see in his pics.

My friend snapped the last picture of me with my tail on my backpack. Despite his terrible day he said it gave him great joy to watch me ride home like a ninja and use my hand for all left turns.

Friend's SV650

His sliders did their job as well and his front blinker folded upward and save him a ton of front fascia damage. He did bend his handle bar but we were able to fix that. Beyond that he broke off a shifting peg and that was about it.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.

Last edited by Quick281; 02-22-2009 at 11:19 AM..
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

And here are pictures of the guy that stopped to help us and then rode off to total his brand new bike. I didn't know the guy so I didn't take to many pictures since he was still getting over his own experience.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Glad everyone is okay.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

You guys need to get on the track before you hurt yourselfs. Trees, curbs and armco is not forgiving.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Don't take this the wrong way, these pics are in reference to a thread from a couple weeks ago.

We aren't hauling ass or anything of that sort, at my current level I am happy going into a turn at 45 mph. My friend accidentally went wide of the lane and off the road and then humorously I wiped out after turning around and pulling off the road to help him.

The other guy was hauling ass and it shows.

This doesn't need to turn into a slow down thread. I have yet to meet a first time bike buyer that goes straight to the track and never joy rides.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, these pics are in reference to a thread from a couple weeks ago.

We aren't hauling ass or anything of that sort, at my current level I am happy going into a turn at 45 mph. My friend accidentally went wide of the lane and off the road and then humorously I wiped out after turning around and pulling off the road to help him.

This doesn't need to turn into a slow down thread. I have yet to meet a first time bike buyer that goes straight to the track and never joy rides.
nod

Looks like ya came out OK, that's great.... and ya know shit happens sometimes, you weren't out ther hot dogging you were having a good time.

Keep on riding, bro.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
SoFlaSV
Guinness Bitches...

Moto: '00 SV650

Damn. Didn't anyone stay rubber side down???

Glad to here everyone is ok.
SoFlaSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post

I'm really glad everyone came out basically unscathed. The bikes seem to have little damage and can be fixed alot cheaper than the human body most times.

This reminds me of my first lowside. I went into a turn at a relative slow speed and hit a bad ripple in the road. My rear tire felt like it cut loose from the pavement and I panicked mid turn. I let off the throttle about the same time my mind said "when it doubt, gas it" and hit the throttle again, but I was already going down. I pushed off the bike (I don't go down with the ship! I have a fear of being trapped by the bike! ) and she slid a few feet off the road and into the grass and left me sitting almost in the middle of the road. Some rash on the side, a broken shifter peg, and newfound knowledge of what not to do came out of it.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:43 AM   #9
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Yeah, my friend concluded later that he was mid turn and may have let his boot down too low and it dragged a bit. He said that scared him and he may have straightened up just enough to not make the turn and end up in the gravel.

Like I said, we didn't know the 3rd guy that was just a complete coincidence. However while sitting on that turn we saw plenty of cars and bikes go by, many were hauling ass and in once instance a slow going cruiser went a bit wide and his rear slid out a bit on the same patch of gravel. Fortunately it just straightened itself out but we were really convinced that we were going to meet a 4th guy thanks to that turn.

Everyone came out fine, the bike repairs were minimal, we got to ride home, and we have a great story to forever remember that day. In fact we stopped at a Kroger, bought pizza, chips and coke and watched the Superbowl while whining about aches and pains. Best times.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:06 AM   #10
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Holy crap. Glad I wasn't up there. But now I wish I was a Suzuki parts dealer.

Curious. The guy on the new GSXR. You said that he rode off to total his bike. Are you saying that after he wrecked it and helped you guys. He rode off to only wreck his bike again?

Glad you are okay. Gravel is never fun. It's like ice in the summertime only we get it in the wintertime also.