Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #41
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
So if it's in the past, it's not a regret anymore? Sounds like a coping mechanism to shrug responsibility for poor decisions to me, I mean, what's wrong with looking back and saying "yeah, that was a poor choice"? Is a regret really anything more than that?

ETA: I'm not talking about a situation like shooting someone/defending family, but what about not doing your best in a job interview and losing the spot? Or not dedicating more time to something you enjoy rather than work? Do those not qualify as regrets? Or am I one of the few that have had a few speed bumps in the road of life?

IMHO regrets are not a waste of time if you learn from them. And learning from something doesn't have to nullify it as a regret because it "made you who you are".

Hmmm... well I'm not a deep thinker as you all know but if you've learned something then you can put it down to a "learning experience" which is something you shouldn't reget...

I understand what you mean but, okay here's another example, a lot of people wish they had spent more time with their family instead of working. Sounds good on the surface but let's say that you did that and sure you go to every game and see every first step, hear every first word but you you suddenly take ill and die today. How will your kids go to college? There's no money in the bank and the mortgage is due. Your son has to drop out of high school and get a job to help support the family... In this situation you would regret not being a better provide for your family, would you not? There can always something to regret or you can focus on the positive. No matter how successful you are in one area, there will always be room for possible regrets, imho. Regretting something will not change anything, thus it's a waste of time. You do the best that you can, with what you have and hope for the best!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #42
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
Just don't come back on Monday this time.
I have to.

It's in my contract.

JC
Old 07-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #43
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Unfulfilled.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #44
Flexin
AMA Supersport

I would be pissed. I'm too damn young to go and my kids are way too young to have daddy die. I have so many things to teach them. Way to many places to take them.

I'm not one to regret what I have done. I made my decisions and I have to live with them. Is there things I could have done different? Of course. But I don't regret.

OK I"m wrong. I have only one regret. I will always carry it with me. I still regret the decision I had to make when my first daughter was born, which is also the day she passed away.

Like others have said, I am who I am because of the choices I made.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #45
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Hmmm... well I'm not a deep thinker as you all know but if you've learned something then you can put it down to a "learning experience" which is something you shouldn't reget...

I understand what you mean but, okay here's another example, a lot of people wish they had spent more time with their family instead of working. Sounds good on the surface but let's say that you did that and sure you go to every game and see every first step, hear every first word but you you suddenly take ill and die today. How will your kids go to college? There's no money in the bank and the mortgage is due. Your son has to drop out of high school and get a job to help support the family... In this situation you would regret not being a better provide for your family, would you not? There can always something to regret or you can focus on the positive. No matter how successful you are in one area, there will always be room for possible regrets, imho. Regretting something will not change anything, thus it's a waste of time. You do the best that you can, with what you have and hope for the best!
I definitely agree, not all mistakes are regrets and the examples you give above are good ones.

However, I hear people use "learning experience" too often. Some things people already know is wrong, they do it anyway, and write the consequences off as a "learning experience". For example, something that results in job loss, in a crash and/or bodily harm, in hurting a loved one, etc..

To me, a regret is simply admitting to yourself that in your past you could have done something better or would have been better off NOT doing something. I think it has more to do with being honest with yourself about your life choices than it does being negative or dwelling on the past. So, in turn, I always view the "I don't have a single regret in 30 years" posts as a being a little dishonest with yourself.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #46
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
However, I hear people use "learning experience" too often. Some things people already know is wrong, they do it anyway, and write the consequences off as a "learning experience". For example, something that results in job loss, in a crash and/or bodily harm, in hurting a loved one, etc..
Good point.

Sailing around the world- learning experience.

Punching a cop in the face- not so much.

JC
Old 07-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #47
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

you spend one day of your life on your death bed, why not spend the rest of your days enjoying them?

Yeh there will always be regrets, but I'm not sure if I would really change anything, maybee not cut class in high school and actually apply myself more back then is about all.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:20 AM   #48
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
you spend one day of your life on your death bed, why not spend the rest of your days enjoying them?

Yeh there will always be regrets, but I'm not sure if I would really change anything, maybee not cut class in high school and actually apply myself more back then is about all.
I totally agree with you here... the problem is (and I don't know your current status relationship-wise), if you had done things differently in HS you may not have met your wife, whom I imagine that you love. You know? Man, this is too deep for me...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #49
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
I definitely agree, not all mistakes are regrets and the examples you give above are good ones.

To me, a regret is simply admitting to yourself that in your past you could have done something better or would have been better off NOT doing something. I think it has more to do with being honest with yourself about your life choices than it does being negative or dwelling on the past. So, in turn, I always view the "I don't have a single regret in 30 years" posts as a being a little dishonest with yourself.
Here is the qualifier. To YOU, things you have done that you could have done differently are regrets.

To others, they arent necessarily so. You're saying the same things, you just classify them differently.

Are there things I could have done differently? Hell yeah. Do I have regrets? Nope. Do I ponder those things I could have done differently? Sometimes, usually right after it happens, and I learn from it, making it to me, a learning experience, not a regret, and I move on.

To ME, a regret is something I look back on, sigh, and wish I would have done it differently. I dont do that, therefore, I, myself, have no regrets.

There is never a time when I peruse my life decisions and think, gee, I shouldnt have done that, I wish I could change it. If I had done differently, I wouldnt have met the friends, loved ones, or any other people or had any of the events I got to have because of a decision I made.

There would have been others, and different, possibly better events, but seeing as I am 100% content with things, I, personally have zero regrets.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #50
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

Only one major regret. But like it's been said, you haven't lived if you have no regrets... I wish that were not the case...
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote