Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Why Can't Honda Sell India's $900 100cc Street Motorcycle In The USA

http://hallicino.hubpages.com/hub/Wh...cle-In-The-USA

Quote:
You have to wonder why GM and Chrysler went under. Could it have anything to do with the fact that they were simply not producing the types of automobiles that the customer wanted? Both manufacturers were total losers when it came to smaller economy models. The Caliber was the most economical offering from Chrysler and it was a rolling pile of dung that looked like an elephant sat on a minivan, performed like a slug on wheels, and was as long lasting as a nitroglycerin milkshake machine. On the GM side, the profoundly repugnant, dated, poorly designed, badly built, underperforming and ridiculously fuel thristy (I have a friend who gets a completely unacceptable 26 mpg on his '09) Korean Daewoo Kalos rebadged as a Chevy Aveo is an embarrassment with a bowtie badge.

Now that we're on the subject of not providing the vehicles that the public wants, let's discuss the various motorcycle manufacturers. These companies are so damned busy carrying on a horsepower and displacement war where gargantuan, Brobdignanian 2.3 litre juggernaut motorcycles that generate 140+ horsepower are considered "sedate cruisers," and you can buy a motorcycle straight off the dealership floor that will comfortably break 200 mph, that they have completely ignored the overwhelming market demand for an affordable, small, easy to handle, "starter bike" for students, commuters, shoppers, and Sunday cruise riders.

There are only four, count them, four street legal motorcycles offered for sale in North America in the 2009 model year that are even as small as 125cc. They are:

2009 Aprilia RS125 - MSRP: $5,499
2009 Honda CBR125R - MSRP: $2,999
2009 Husqvarna SM125 - MSRP: $5,799
2009 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 - MSRP: $2,799

Suzuki, Yamaha, BMW, Harley Davidson, Triumph and other manufacturers are not represented because, obviously, they couldn't give a rodent's derriere about small entry level motorcycles.

The outrageous 2009 Husqvarna SM125: Add about a thousand dollars, shop around, and you can drive home on a 2009 Harley Davidson Sportster. Is anyone crazy enough to actually buy this thing at this price?

Or you could save $300 over the price of the Husky above and buy this 2009 Aprilia RS125. Groan...

Waaaaaay down on the price scale from the Husky and Aprilia, this 2009 Honda CBR125R is still one buck under three grand!

Here we have it, folks. The lowest priced 125cc motorcycle available in North America today, the 2009 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 with an MSRP: $2,799. Such a deal! NOT!
These prices are utterly outrageous. It would cost well over $6,000 to ride the Husky out of the dealership once tax, PDI, etc. is tagged on.

Where do "entry level" riders have $6,000 to blow on a starter bike? Where? In Dubai? Brunei? Certainly not in the USA or Canada!

If you shop around you can find brand new 2009 economy cars for $7,999. And the manufacturers are trying to sell "entry level" motorcycles for a couple of grand less?

Completely looney tunes.

That's why I read with special interest that Honda was about to debut a 100cc single cylinder motorcycle in India that would sell for approximately 42,000 rupees. That works out to $882 with the current exchange rate, and as compared to the laughably overpriced small bike dreck that is currently in North American dealers showroom floors, it's the deal of the century!

There is NO excuse to not sell a sub $1,000 100cc Honda single in North America today. It's not like you have to re-engineer a 100cc motorcycle for emissions, crashworthiness, safety standards and all the overbearing standards which stifle importation of low priced automobiles from countries such as India and China. Very minor tweaking of Honda's India 100cc would make it more than suitable for North American sales.

And, yes, there would be sales. Lots of them. North America is ripe for another "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" campaign. A 100cc Honda is the perfect substitute for legs, and at over 100 mpg, would be gobbled up as fast as they could be produced for the North American market.

So, what about it Honda? Are you still going to try to keep foisting inexcusably outrageous hyperbike suicide machines like the Honda CBR1000RR, or two wheeled Krystal Koach limousines like the Gold Wing, or are you going to start listening to your customers who want A NICE, CHEAP, ECONOMICAL, RELIABLE, FUN LITTLE BIKE???
Old 11-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

There's also the "sheep" mentality that prevails in any group: "it MUST be high hp or 'you're gonna get bored and made fun of'"

Totally crap.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
shmike
Follower

I couldn't bother to read the article.

The premise of the first paragraph is wrong so I'm guessing the rest is too...
Old 11-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

This guy must live in fantasy land. I don't see how he can believe that people are clamoring to buy a 100cc motorcycle. We aren't due for the second coming of small motorcycles. People who already ride aren't banging down the doors of their local dealership to buy a 100cc anything. People who don't ride wouldn't be chomping at the bit to get their motorcycle license to ride 100cc motorcycle when they can hop on a 49cc scooter for the same cost with the license they already have.

Personally, I'd love to have a 100cc Honda for under a grand. That'd be a sweet little setup for running back and forth to work and school. But my commute doesn't go further than 5 miles. I have no need to hop on the highway to get anywhere. If my commute got much longer or involved highway travel, my interest in this thing would be zero.

Also, who the hell sold an economy car brand new for $8K in 2009?

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Nissan sold the base model versa for 8,999 up until this year.

As for the article, the won't seel a $1k bike here because it wil east into the scooter market, and why compete with the scooter market which are selling for between $3k -$5k? We have money here in india they don't, plus with our infrastructure, where other than a city or around the local community can you ride a super small bike? I feel like my klr650 is just barely powerful enough for regular use, let alone a 100cc monster.

Yeh the guy lives in a fantasy world unless the dmv's decide to implement a tier licensing system
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Americans are a little chubby and we have things called "hills"
Thats why no 100cc motorcycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Agreed, there isn't enough good in india for them to get chubby
Old 11-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I'm not fat. I'm fluffy.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I think it has more to do with the distances we cover daily. look at the rest of the world, not many people live an hour away from work... the US, that's fairly common (from my experience) and many times that has to do with distance rather than traffic.

but American's as a whole have always been of the mindset "bigger is better" look at our vehicles compared to the rest of the world. name another country where a F350 Dually sized vehicle is common on the road for personal use? shit just a full sized SUV?
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

@ the Aprilia being in that list. It's a 2-stroke race bike (basically), not an "entry level" bike. It's barely even street legal.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote