Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750
Default 6 ways your car can spy on you

Black boxes

Most cars today contain a so-called "Black Box" similar to those found on airplanes. These boxes continuously record the car's speed as well as what the driver is doing with the steering wheel and brakes.

The box has a short memory, though. The data is continuously overwritten every few seconds. In the event of a crash, the recording stops, preserving the few seconds of data just before and after the impact.

If you were speeding just before the impact -- or if you didn't brake or swerve to avoid the crash -- the recorder knows and its contents could haunt you in a court of law. (Or in the media, as some Toyota accusers found out.)

Getting permission to download data from a car requires a court order, said Michigan personal injury attorney Dan Buckfire, but it's usually not hard to get one.

"It's just general information," he said. "It's not like it was recording where you were going."

In other words, it's just another piece of evidence pertaining to the crash itself, like skid marks or dent damage. Therefore, the privacy issues aren't huge.

If you're the accused, that evidence could work for you or against you. For instance, if you're accused of speeding, the data may show that, actually, you weren't. The challenges are really technical, Buckfire said. This stuff isn't easy to download and few people have the technical expertise needed to to do it.

Toll tags

Toll tags, like E-ZPass, are a quick and easy way to pay tolls. Instead of fumbling with change, you just drive through a toll booth and the payment -- often discounted -- is automatically deducted from your account.

Of course, you're also letting someone know where you were at that exact moment and in which direction you were headed.

Toll tags also provide valuable information about how well traffic is flowing. Computers can time how long it takes a car to travel from one toll booth to another or from one toll tag sensor to another.

Toll data has been used in criminal cases and divorce proceedings. ("You were visiting a client in Connecticut, you say? The toll records say you were driving to New Jersey... where your girlfriend lives!")

In New Jersey, at least, EZ-Pass toll records can be accessed only with a court order and only in criminal cases, according to New Jersey Turnpike Authority spokesman Tom Feeney. The records are, however, only kept indefinitely.

The rules may differ wherever you are. New Jersey's privacy rules apply only to those who have an EZ-Pass account in that state. If you have a toll tag form someplace else, your privacy protection may vary.

Cell phone navigation

OK, this isn't exactly your car, but a device you carry into the car to use while you're driving.

When you use your cell phone for turn-by-turn navigation there's a whole lot of data streaming in and out of your car. And that data can be very useful for monitoring traffic flow.

Cell phone companies will send that data about vehicle speeds in various locations to companies that use it to provide real-time traffic information.

No identifying information about your car is shared, cell phone companies and traffic data providers say. Instead the data from many drivers is is grouped together anonymously and used to calculate overall traffic speeds on various roads. So while there may be the theoretical potential for individual tracking, it's not being used for that.

Data about your destination is also stored "anonymously," Verizon spokeswoman Debra Lewis said, not in any way that would allow someone to find out who asked for directions to a specific address.

Also, at least in the case of Verizon phones, it's all spelled out in a disclaimer you're supposed to read -- you did read all that, right? -- before you start using the app.

Telematics

Like Facebook, using a so-called "telematics" service like OnStar involves certain obvious privacy trade-offs. It's up to you, as a subscriber, to decide whether those trade-offs are worth it. With OnStar, for instance, it can find out where your car is. But in a medical emergency, or if your car is stolen, you want someone to know where it is.

OnStar, the best known service, is linked to a GPS navigation system in your car even if your car isn't equipped with a computer navigation screen. The car shares data with the operators and computers that provide all those nifty services.

But your exact location is usually only shared when you request some sort of service, like navigation or the name of an Italian restaurant nearby.

Every new service OnStar introduces involves some serious discussion about those privacy trade-offs, OnStar execs say. For instance, one new service is teen driver tracking. In this case, the cars can be tracked only using a secure password-protected Web site, OnStar spokeswoman Cheryl McCarron said.

In terms of data, such as vehicle locations, "anonymized" data is kept indefinitely while more specific data is kept only as long as needed to fulfill specific requests, she said.

Insurance deals

Aggressive drivers are bad insurance risks. But how's an auto insurer to know? Basically, they have to guess. Your driving record and your gender -- sorry, guys -- are good places for them to start.

But what if insurance companies could actually monitor your driving habits right from the car and tell, firsthand, if you're an aggressive driver? That'd be the best way to know. And that's why some insurance companies offer discounts to drivers willing to let Big Brother ride shotgun.

Again, this is a trade-off the driver makes willingly. In the case of Progressive's Snapshot, a small device plugs into the car's diagnostics port. It doesn't record where you drive or even how fast. All it records is how many miles you drive, what time of day and how hard you step on the brakes. Frequent hard braking shows aggressive tendencies and that, Progressive's analysts have found, is an excellent predictor of crash risk.

Drivers can agree to have their braking habits monitored for six months and, in return, they can qualify for a discount of up to 30%, Progressive says.

Spying on your teen

It's scary when your teenager starts driving on her own. But technology can make it a little less scary. Several simple devices now on the market allow you to track where, when -- and how fast -- your teen drives.

Plugged into the car's vehicle diagnostics port, devices like the Tiwi, which also contains a GPS tracking device, allow parents to set limits on how much over the speed limit -- if any -- kids are allowed to drive and even define certain parts of town kids have to stay within.

Parents can even be notified in real time when the limits are broken and a voice inside the car can remind the driver, too.

These things are really the ultimate in automotive privacy invasion but, hey, they're your kids.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

They all have their advantages and disadvantages... if I were a parent I would like the Teen thing.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

only one that applies to me is my phone. theres a ton of good reasons to keep pre OBD cars around
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
They all have their advantages and disadvantages... if I were a parent I would like the Teen thing.
so long as they cant disable it themselves. these damn kids are prety tech savy these days
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

I steer clear of all. Even my cell phone of late has the battery out most of the time, unless I need to use it (mostly because the battery is so old, it only is good for fucking 5 minutes anymore). I still have my C4, but I'm going to sell it. That thing has more computers than forward speeds. No likee.

I think that just as a matter of personal policy, I don't want cars with computers in them in my life anymore. I want shit that I can fix with a wrench.

Also, since personal freedoms are vanishing, I really don't want the "gift" of a personal tracking device; if that's the price of modern convenience, I'll do without....just on principle.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
so long as they cant disable it themselves. these damn kids are prety tech savy these days
any system that uses the obd port is going to be easy to circumvent
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #7
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I'm sure they could unplug it it but when you check the log and see they only went a block then stopped and returned 4 hours later with 100 extra miles on the car they are busted.

Plus with you being able to track some by computer I believe, you would know if they disconnected it. If they disconnect it they can get a warning. The second time you could sell the device on ebay and give them a bus pass.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
I hope as a parent I have the will-power to grant my kids some freedom and privacy of their own. I know it will be hard to pass up the opportunity to know-and-see all, but I can't imagine how different a person I would be today had my mother not trusted me enough to let go a little.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

perhaps but maybe you were a good kid. Perhaps you had a job as a teenager. Perhaps there is a BIG difference between your generation and the current.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
perhaps but maybe you were a good kid. Perhaps you had a job as a teenager. Perhaps there is a BIG difference between your generation and the current.
Valid point...but I think that is more of how they are raised than the generation in it's entirety. But I could be wrong.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote