Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Hondahugger
Better Off

Default Hybrids

Alright, I know this isn't a 'Car Forum' but I was curious about something.

I bought my Ford Escape Hybrid SUV in August of 2007 and I LOVE IT! Currently I'm getting about 425 Miles out of a 13 gallon tank which averages to about 32 mpg. In school speed zones and anywhere I'm driving under 30 mph as long as I don't gun it upon take off, I can run it on battery which saves me even more.

I've heard several things from various people about ways to save on gas, like if I put it at cruise control on the highway at about 65 mph, it saves me more but I haven't confirmed this in any way.

Are there any other Hybrid owners that might have tips or suggestions on how to save more gas or imcrease or improve on the gas saving consumption?
Hondahugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

Sorry, I drive a gas guzzling F150 V8

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

No hybrid here. Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondahugger View Post
I've heard several things from various people about ways to save on gas, like if I put it at cruise control on the highway at about 65 mph, it saves me more but I haven't confirmed this in any way.
Oh gosh, please don't. Maybe it's the horrendous road rage that consumes my driving soul, but people going 65 in a 70 are road hazards.

Now, if you're going 65 in a 35 or 45 on the other hand, please let me know where you drive so that I may plan my route accordingly to use you as a rabbit.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
JoshuaTree
DILLIGAF?

Location: Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, Sol, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way
Moto: 1993 K75SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakel View Post
Sorry, I drive a gas guzzling F150 V8
Me too - its my work truck (Electrician). Its difficult to find a fuel efficient vehicle that will accomodate an 8' ladder, bins of parts, and the plethora of tools used in trade work...
JoshuaTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

Mine was my work truck, I used to work in construction equipment sales.

Now its just my paid off motorcycle hauler,grocery getter, and dog mover

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
JoshuaTree
DILLIGAF?

Location: Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, Sol, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way
Moto: 1993 K75SA

I hope these are as good as they seem to be - whenever Mahindra gets around to importing them to the US...

http://www.mahindraautoworld.com/pik..._overview.aspx
JoshuaTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Quote:
Alright, I know this isn't a 'Car Forum' but I was curious about something.

I bought my Ford Escape Hybrid SUV in August of 2007 and I LOVE IT! Currently I'm getting about 425 Miles out of a 13 gallon tank which averages to about 32 mpg. In school speed zones and anywhere I'm driving under 30 mph as long as I don't gun it upon take off, I can run it on battery which saves me even more.

Are there any other Hybrid owners that might have tips or suggestions on how to save more gas or imcrease or improve on the gas saving consumption?
Ok - call me dense but 32 mpg is the your average gas mileage? for a Hybrid? I've never researched them but I always assumed they got more. I get 30mpg in my Honda minivan that's NOT a hybrid...I would have assumed double that for a hybrid.
So I'm missing the point of a hybrid somewhere then, honestly, can someone explain?

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

LL, its a truck that with a regular engine gets less than 29mpg, so for that model its great mileage.

Hondahugger, I've seen people get thir gas mileage up to the theoretical 99mpg limit that the prius has on it's display software. That means taht that car was getting better than 100mpg. If you want to see what people are doing google the word "hypermilling". Alot of what they say is completely impractical, but will save fuel.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
As a driver of a 2500 Suburban which I use to to tow my 24' pontoon boat, don't drive like a moron on the interstate.

I use my cruise control to hold 68-70 mph in the 65 zones to flow with traffic. If you pass me in your hybrid going down the hill, I fully expect you to hold that speed going up the hill. The 6.0L with the tow package in my Suburban will hold speed going up hills.

When I come up behind you while towing as you slow to well below the speed limit going up the hill , get the fuck out my way so I can hold my speed.

Oh, if you think you're going to "road rage" me in your little tuna can, remember that an empty Suburban weighs over 6000 lbs ( plus my gear and the boat).

Rant off, Have a nice day
Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote