Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
LittleTaz
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: '00 Ninja 250
Default How to tell people not to be stupid... professionally

Ok, I need some help with how to word something...

I'm in charge of our company's cell phones. The company has been around for a while, but nobody ever created a policy on acceptable cell phone usage, so guess who gets to create it? Now, let me say first that I am normally not at a loss for words, but when confronted with the task of telling people how to not be stupid, the words are just escaping me...

Here's the point I need to get across. You know all the cute little quizzes, games, etc. you can play online? How much do you know about ancient TV shows? What movie star are you most compatible with? See your horoscope for the next 600 years. Yeah, those things. Well, most of them are harmless time killers, it's the ones that ask for your cell phone number so they can send you a PIN to get your results that I'm focusing on here. There are also the "Get this cool new hip hop ring tone just for texting the word DORK to 55067" ads on TV and online that are potential problems.

I have sent 2 company wide emails telling people "STOP IT!". When you send that text or give them your cell phone number, you are also agreeing to sign up for some ridiculous service that you probably don't even know you have, will never use and the only trace of it will be in the $1.99 - $19.99 month charge on the company bill. After the first email I actually had one guy tell me, "But all I did was get a PIN to get the results of my IQ test!" Really??? Next time you want to know that, call me, I'll tell you that you're a moron for free!

So I need some way to phrase this in a document that doesn't come right out and say, "This is a business tool, stop being stupid!" And honestly, that's the best I've come up with...

Ideas?
Old 11-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Easy, write up the policy on paper. In the policy, spefically state that any superfluous charges that show up on a bill from unapproved vendors will result in the employee footing the bill for the excess charges and a written warning. Continued abuse of the policy will lead to appropriate punishment.

Then make the employees read it and sign it, making it crystal clear that violation of the agreement is grounds for termination if repeated abuse of policy takes place. Hit the retards in their wallet and they'll start taking notice.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

"You will be invoiced personally for all non-business related ancillary charges."
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

All your cell phones are belong to us...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #5
t-homo
WSB Champion

I think the first suggestion is about the best.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
LittleTaz
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: '00 Ninja 250

Par for the course... 2 excellent and helpful comments and then along comes Partical Man...

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTaz View Post
Par for the course... 2 excellent and helpful comments and then along comes Partical Man...

Thanks!
sorry, couldn't help myself.

Either what was noted above or something along the lines of "Only business related phone charges are reimbursable"

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTaz View Post

Thanks!
They accidentally the whole cell phone?

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #9
Angee
Dutch's PITA

Moto: I ride Dutch...and an 09 Kawi 250

Oh PLEASzE don't get me started on corporate stupidity! Ok, I'm gonna try this, but you KNOW how I can be...

Effective immediately, any frivolous charges made to company cell phones will not only result in you paying the additional fees, but will also result in a $10 surcharge (wage-deducted) PER OCCURENCE. After 3 occurences, you will be suspended. After 5 occurences, you will have plenty of time to text and play on YOUR phone as you will be unemployed. If you want to find your IQ, please see the size print on the bottom of your shoe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Those things are awesome. We gave out the clap and syphilis last christmas.
Angee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #10
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angee View Post
Oh PLEASzE don't get me started on corporate stupidity! Ok, I'm gonna try this, but you KNOW how I can be...

Effective immediately, any frivolous charges made to company cell phones will not only result in you paying the additional fees, but will also result in a $10 surcharge (wage-deducted) PER OCCURENCE. After 3 occurences, you will be suspended. After 5 occurences, you will have plenty of time to text and play on YOUR phone as you will be unemployed. If you want to find your IQ, please see the size print on the bottom of your shoe.
you tell 'em