Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600
Default Need thoughts and ideas for a project.

Alright, I am in need of help and or ideas because I am mentally overwhelmed with this.

For those of you who don't know, I graduated from college about 7 months ago and went on a trip to Alaska for 6 months. In the mean time, my mom housed my bike and all of my crap at her house. Now I am living at her place for the next couple of months before I return to Alaska and consider staying through the winter.

Now that I am home and up on my feet I want to get the bike out of the living room. Problem is that we live in a shaddy part of Atlanta and stuff gets fucked with quite frequently. I have a bike cover, a disk lock and a cable lock for it but I don't have anything sturdy to lock it to on the driveway side of the house. I also have a funny feeling it would probably get kicked over anyways.

I would like to relieve my mom of the bike in her living room. However I think I would only feel comfortable if I could park it in the basement at night and when I am gone.

My first problem is getting off the steep drop from the end of the driveway. And to compliment this I was thinking of maybe laying a concrete path from the gate entrance around to the back door, mostly because it gets muddy as hell in the back yard after rain. I don't mind doing it myself and I think I could get away with it for relatively cheap. I would just have to deal with the gradient, and do a shit ton of digging in the very tough ground.

Anyways, I thought I would post up a couple pictures of the situation and maybe see if anyone could throw some ideas or thoughts that I may be missing. Maybe even tips if someone has done something like this before.

Has anyone done something like this before? Would paving a ramp be as easy as laying down wood framing and smoothing out the right gradient?

Gate on the right, Door on the left.

The damn drop off.

Now yes, I realize this is a ridiculous amount of work to keep my very common and unspecialized bike safe. And to make it funnier, if my bike were stolen I would get a profit of 2500 out of the deal. But damnit, I put this thing back together after the last owner wrecked it, it's my first bike and I love it. Not to mention I FUCKING HATE THIEVES and hate to think I would be giving into them if I didn't keep the bike inside.

Yeah I know. WTF is wrong with me.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Doesnt really look that bad???

Maybe its just me But Im not one for Extra work.

Call up a few buddies Pick the bitch up and put it in the basement...Problem Solved.

The bike has to go through that door Pictured on the left??? Get a peice of wood to make the drop off not as harsh and roll the bike down there yourself...Open door and Voila...Into the basement it goes.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Just leash your JRT to your bike and give him an espresso. He'll keep the undesirables at bay.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
Call up a few buddies Pick the bitch up and put it in the basement...Problem Solved.
Pictures don't do it justice. The buddy problem would prevent me from being able to use the bike daily. However I may just resort to driving my car to and from work on days after the rain and just wait for the back yard to dry up before rolling the bike out.

I will figure a ramp system out and try that for a bit, and if it fails miserably then I guess I can look into the concrete idea.

Its just that im jobless and at home all day so these things are always on my mind.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Lift the Bike 4 inches and your Set
Old 11-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Just leash your JRT to your bike and give him an espresso. He'll keep the undesirables at bay.
Thought about it but he is so damn cute he just attracts people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
Lift the Bike 4 inches and your Set
I wish. Damn sportsbikes.

So I did some more measurements and it just not clicked that the bike won't fit through the door with me on it which would make it a bitch to get in and out anyways.

Screw this thread, im looking at storage units tomorrow. If I could find one that wasn't too far away, I wouldn't mind driving over there and parking the car while im gone. I could keep all the bike stuff over there as well.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
t-homo
WSB Champion

t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #8
thunderex
Kneedragger

Moto: 2004 Aprilia Tuono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
Thought about it but he is so damn cute he just attracts people.

I wish. Damn sportsbikes.

So I did some more measurements and it just not clicked that the bike won't fit through the door with me on it which would make it a bitch to get in and out anyways.

Screw this thread, im looking at storage units tomorrow. If I could find one that wasn't too far away, I wouldn't mind driving over there and parking the car while im gone. I could keep all the bike stuff over there as well.
Probably your best bet. I can't see of a way to make it inconvenient enough that it's not a good theft target but also convenient enough to have easy access to the street without having it in a garage or other enclosed area. You're basically trading off safety for convenience one way or the other.
thunderex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderex View Post
Probably your best bet. I can't see of a way to make it inconvenient enough that it's not a good theft target but also convenient enough to have easy access to the street without having it in a garage or other enclosed area. You're basically trading off safety for convenience one way or the other.
Yeah that sounds about right. As long as I can find a 24 hour place that I can park at I will be happy, but I may have to do some searching.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #10
thunderex
Kneedragger

Moto: 2004 Aprilia Tuono

Most places around here will have a keypad that you can use to access the site at all hours. Be warned though that they will generally have rules against storing vehicles there and especially working vehicles with gasoline in them. So if you do it, you'd have to do it on the downlow.
thunderex is offline   Reply With Quote