Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

hey gas dont you mean ls2?
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:14 AM   #22
Hondahugger
Better Off

Wow everyone, thanks for the input! I guess I just figured that there has to be a better way to get more has milage. Between driving the kids to school, work and personal driving, I'm just trying to get the most out of every gallon! I know that even though its an SUV, but as someone who shall remain nameless points out to me all the time, its a mini SUV and the mpg are going to be higher than a Suburban or other larger SUV, but I still want to get the most out of it. Over the last year and some months I have wondered how much I'm actually saving but without a true comparison, its hard to say.
Hondahugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #23
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

You probably spent a whole lot more than you could save. (sorry to make you feel bad).

The escape hybrid cost about 10k more than its conventional engined sybling. The hybrid gets 34, the standard gets 24mpg, (nice easy numbers to work with huh?).

Escape normal - $20k; average MPG - 24
Escape Hybrid - $30k average MPG - 34

If you put 15,000 miles on your car a year, and gas costs about $2 a gallon, the hybrid saves you $300/yr.

It would take over 20 years to make the difference back.

When compared with the smaller, gas-thrifty conventional Corolla, the Prius wouldn't equal the five-year costs unless it were driven 66,500 miles a year or gas reached $10.10 a gallon.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #24
speedylocksmith
Much better off!!

Moto: 05 1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
You probably spent a whole lot more than you could save. (sorry to make you feel bad).

The escape hybrid cost about 10k more than its conventional engined sybling. The hybrid gets 34, the standard gets 24mpg, (nice easy numbers to work with huh?).

Escape normal - $20k; average MPG - 24
Escape Hybrid - $30k average MPG - 34

If you put 15,000 miles on your car a year, and gas costs about $2 a gallon, the hybrid saves you $300/yr.

It would take over 20 years to make the difference back.

When compared with the smaller, gas-thrifty conventional Corolla, the Prius wouldn't equal the five-year costs unless it were driven 66,500 miles a year or gas reached $10.10 a gallon.
She bought it used so she didn't pay near that price
speedylocksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #25
derf
token jewboy

Whatever, she still probably paid a little too much, and it will take more than a few years of driving to recoup the extra cost of the hybrid.

What I'm trying to say is that in general people are better off buying a comparably sized standard car, the cost savings by not burning fuel doesn't equal out.

If you are really interested in saving money go out and find a comparably sized gas car, spend 1/3 more on gas, pocket the extra cash that you save by not buying a hybrid, and plant a fig tree in your backyard. This way you save the environment by planting a tree, you don't waste your money, and in a few months you will have some fresh figs to munch on.

Its a win win win situation, you are an environmental hero, rich, and have a full stomach, what more can you ask for?
Old 11-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #26
speedylocksmith
Much better off!!

Moto: 05 1Krr

Quote:
Whatever, she still probably paid a little too much, and it will take more than a few years of driving to recoup the extra cost of the hybrid.

What I'm trying to say is that in general people are better off buying a comparably sized standard car, the cost savings by not burning fuel doesn't equal out.

If you are really interested in saving money go out and find a comparably sized gas car, spend 1/3 more on gas, pocket the extra cash that you save by not buying a hybrid, and plant a fig tree in your backyard. This way you save the environment by planting a tree, you don't waste your money, and in a few months you will have some fresh figs to munch on.

Its a win win win situation, you are an environmental hero, rich, and have a full stomach, what more can you ask for?
true, hybrids are overpriced when new and it would take a few decades to break even based on the initial cost, but you do also get a tax break each year for owning a hybrid but I'm not sure how much that is.
speedylocksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #27
derf
token jewboy

The maximum tax credit is $3000, and that is only if you buy new, the average tax credit is less than $1500. If you lease the lease company gets the tax credit not you

http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/irs/artic...176409,00.html
Old 11-17-2008, 07:48 AM   #28
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

The only hybrid that comes close to paying back the extra cost is GM's full sized SUV variant.
My LS6 averages 20-22 overall, and get's 28-29 highway @65-70, it also still gets 26 averaging 85+.

All of the highway driving I've done, cruise control saves gas.

Quote:
2. Premium fuel will get you 1-2mpg because there is more energy content in higher octane fuel.
lifts you should know better than this dribble....
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #29
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
lifts you should know better than this dribble....
actually I think he's right about the premium... but the cost benefit isn't there...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #30
Hondahugger
Better Off

Quote:
Whatever, she still probably paid a little too much
4 score and 7 years ago I took a dare from my step dad to prove that I could sell cars. I was about 19 and out to make a point. It was 3 days before Christmas and I had only been working at the dealership for about 2 months when I pulled a hat trick (selling 3 cars in one day). I collected the $500.00 bonus from the General Manager of the dealership as that was the spiff (additional bonus a GM sets every weekend for a goal that they set up in the Saturday morning sales meetings), put in my 2 week notice and collected the $500.00 from my step dad since that was the bet we had made. Needless to say, it was a very good Christmas that year!

Point is, I know what to do and say and look for when buying a vehicle. I've had several friends drag me along with them when they've purchased their vehicles. By the time we leave with said brand new vehicle, the Salesman hates me and the Finance Manager is looking for a bottle of Preperation H. I've actually been kicked out of a dealership before.

When I bought my Escape, I had my bluetooth in my ear and a friend from another dealership up north on the phone with me pulling carfax reports, Blue Book Values, etc on the Escape and the salesman didn't even know it.

The Bluebook at the time I bought it was $24,000.00, I paid $17,000.00 out the door.

In the last year and 3 months, I've put about 32,279 miles on it. DAM I DRIVE A LOT!!!! So, with that in mind, cost of vehicle, miles that I drive, I'm still kind of figuring that if it doesn't even out, it should come pretty close.
Hondahugger is offline   Reply With Quote