Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #21
buzzcutt2
Fuzznutz

Moto: 98 ZX9

We also have pooled minutes...but they insist that we review and pay for any non-business calls. This way the policy is consistent - they don't have to worry about if we go over the pooled minutes or not.
buzzcutt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #22
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTaz View Post
Ok, right now, when the bill comes in I go over it. I have everyone on a pooled minute plan, so I'm not having a problem with going over the total minutes. If I find any of these 3rd party charges, I send an email to the employee, their supervisor and HR telling them what the charge was, reminding them that they can't do that and that the charge will be deducted from their paycheck. HR takes over from there and handles the deduction. The main problem is that the lady that was handling it before me had about 50 other jobs in addition to this one and just didn't have the time to spend on it. So, some of them got used to no one checking it and got a little lax about things. Also, when I send the email, I copy and paste the actual charge line from the bill which never says exactly what was done to incur it, just the company it's from. Then I immediately get the indignant employee saying they didn't download anything and that's a bogus charge. When I start questioning them about other things they may have done, they invariably remember something that they thought was harmless. This policy will be more for new employees, although a copy will be sent out to current employees. It seems simple enough to me, but you know what they say.... Common sense really isn't that common...
Cut the email out of the equation completely. If you have to print it, print it, but get it on paper. In fact, print the line item charges, plus a written statement to be signed by the employee along the lines of "I have been informed by management that I am in violation of the previously signed phone policy. I understand that this charge is a violation of the previously signed policy, and that continuous abuse will result in my termination of employment for continued policy violation."

Have the employee sign next to each line item charge that they are responsible for, as well as the violation of terms paper. Give them a copy, and keep the original in their file. If it becomes a continual problem for these employees, you'll be able to shit can them with a record of their violations so they've got almost no recourse.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #23
LittleTaz
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: '00 Ninja 250

Great suggestions! Thanks, everyone!
Old 11-17-2008, 09:56 PM   #24
VFR Rider
Ride Me Baby....

Moto: '05 FJR 1300A, '01 SV 650S, '86 Interceptor

If you can already trace the charges to a specific person then you are way ahead of the game. All you need is the policy which is rolled out to and signed by everyone who has a corporate phone.

The generalities of the policy are that a) the phones are for acceptable business use only, b) any charges associated with personal usage will be billed back to the employee, c) continued abuse or inappropriate usage of corporate phones may also result in further disciplinary action, including termination.

This is in a large part why many company's won't provide corporate phones. The hassle of having to have one person sit and deal with all of the administration is too much.

The other option is to have your carrier bill the individuals and then have them submit expense vouchers for the appropriate business usage.
VFR Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #25
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Cut the email out of the equation completely. If you have to print it, print it, but get it on paper. In fact, print the line item charges, plus a written statement to be signed by the employee along the lines of "I have been informed by management that I am in violation of the previously signed phone policy. I understand that this charge is a violation of the previously signed policy, and that continuous abuse will result in my termination of employment for continued policy violation."

Have the employee sign next to each line item charge that they are responsible for, as well as the violation of terms paper. Give them a copy, and keep the original in their file. If it becomes a continual problem for these employees, you'll be able to shit can them with a record of their violations so they've got almost no recourse.
I think that's it right there.

Email is easy. Well, too easy to scan over and delete - for THEM. You need to make it something they can't ignore.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #26
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

When I was working, I had a Nextel from my employer. If I went over the alloted minutes, it was deducted from my check., that was until I went into management. Then it was a free for all.

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #27
Rider
Moto GP Star

I say blunt force trauma to the head.

Write something like this.

Company cell phone are provided so that you can conveniently conduct business in AND out of the office. The cell phones are not for personal business and if abuse of cell phones continue, you will be reprimanded in a manner that management sees fit which includes but is not limited to, paying for personal phone calls or services, loss of cell phone usage, and or termination.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #28
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

My company allows personal business on our phone, it's the price they pay for making me carry around their phone and being available all day long. But the stupid add-on I would have no problem being told to not use them, and if I did I would have to pay for them.

But I think you should send your original post out, tell them they'll have to pay for it out of their pocket by putting money in a timeout jar, and that you're going to send an email to their boss every time they screwup. Their bosses are going to get tired with the stupid emails, and will kick their asses for you.

The only way to modify bad behavior is to make said behavior painful, We all seem to learn faster when it hurts.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:26 AM   #29
Destitute
Canyon Carver

Let the employees know about the deceptive offers and how to avoid them. If you're threatening to fire people over a $2 phone charge, I think you have bigger problems. Cost of doing business.
Destitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:36 AM   #30
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destitute View Post
Let the employees know about the deceptive offers and how to avoid them. If you're threatening to fire people over a $2 phone charge, I think you have bigger problems. Cost of doing business.
I don't think the problem is 1 $2 phone call. It sounds like there are several.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote