Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-27-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
WildKat
It was better in the 80's

Moto: 2000 Kat 750
Default Does the influx of new riders worry you?

I'll tell you what, everybody and their brother now seems to want a motorcycle or scooter. In my dept at work alone in the last 6 months, 4 people have gotten their bike licenses. Thankfully they've all taken the MSF beginner course so they are atleast starting out on the right foot. None of them have actually gotten bikes yet except one and she's still too scared to ride

With all the scooters and bikes out on the road and all the new riders who don't have a freekin clue about safe, defensive, riding I get worried because it's those tards out there riding in the wrong spot in the lane, not watching going through intersections, cutting off other drivers because they don't pay attention when passing, etc. that are making themselves easy targets for accidents. You know how it is out there, we all see it everyday but the problem is growing at an unbelievable rate now because gas prices are forcing everybody to think they should go out and get a bike when some of them probably don't have any business even thinking of being out on 2 wheels because they can't even drive a car safely. This aint like driving a car here newbs, and you can't just slam on the brakes at the last minute and think you aren't going to lay the bike down if you don't know what you're doing. I heard somebody the other day in the store talking about getting a scooter because it's easy to ride and everybody else is doing it. That's the attitude that worries me; even being on a scooter should be taken seriously. I shutter to think that these people actually believe that cars will look out for them and that they'll be noticed pulling out of an intersection the same as they would be in a car. Riding a bike requires a defensive state of mind and always being alert for even the smallest detail..ok I'll shut up now but you see what Im getting at here...lol

To all those new riders that take being out on the road seriously, I totally commend you and I'm glad to see you're starting out properly and respecting the privilege of riding a motorcycle...and to all the goof balls out there who think they can just hop on a bike and do their thing please do me a favor and stay away from where I ride. Im not perfect, nor am I professing to be but I've been riding for 20 years now and there's no substitute for experience. The only way to get experience is to be safe, ride smart, do your homework when it comes to riding, and take it seriously but still have fun and enjoy it....and a little luck doesn't hurt either..LOL.

Last edited by WildKat; 07-27-2008 at 11:40 PM..
WildKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:44 PM   #2
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

YES!!!
Ms. Colleen still makes us all think back and wonder about our preschool teachers
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
WildKat
It was better in the 80's

Moto: 2000 Kat 750

Trust me I'm not trying to come off as some holier than thou biatch who thinks he's Mr. super rider do no wrong; nothing could be further from the truth. For seasoned riders of all types it's rough out there every day and you never know when some soccer mom in her Expedition yapping on her cell and yelling at the kids while putting on makeup is going to pull out in front of you. Or some old person who thinks, " they are on a motorcycle they'll stop for me" decides she wants to swerve at the last minute to make her hair appointment, or God knows any other of the million scenarios that can happen will rear their ugly heads and take us out. For those that are new it's even more difficult and compound that with those that are new and don't care to learn and you have a potential recipe for disaster.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:20 AM   #4
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

to be honest im much more worried about the buttfucking hippies on bicycles. motherfuckers never follow traffic laws around here. more than once ive stopped for a red only to watch one zip right through or just last week some guy lead his KID across one of the busiest routes in town. and every day i see more of them
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:39 AM   #5
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

personally i think the ones that buy bikes for the gas crunch will be smarter then your average squid

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:03 AM   #6
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
personally i think the ones that buy bikes for the gas crunch will be smarter then your average squid
smarter, possibly. better trained/prepaired and more conciensious of their surroundings, not always. and lastly knowledgable about how to ride a motorcycle... not from what i've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:09 AM   #7
dReWpY
RIP REX

other then the msf what other training is there? time on the bike and miles under their belt... if they have the basics, i see nothing wrong with a bunch of new riders at least they are out on two wheels, i prolly wont ride with them, but every new rider has to start somewhere

the learning curve is steep and either they learn or they dont

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Old 07-28-2008, 01:27 AM   #8
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Around here I'm not noticeing it yet. but HOPEFULLY they'll learn before they crash and be appropriately prepared to avoid situations that put them or us at risk.

MSF is a good beginning point, but the BRC teaches pretty much the bare essentials for parking lot riding, which is good, but not very helpful when a new rider NEEDS TO KNOW how to ride safely on the street. I believe the MSF course should be altered to include in the BRC some of the more important stuff about street riding.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:29 AM   #9
dReWpY
RIP REX

thats just it they are new riders, if they had experiance they wouldnt be new... kinda like a rite of passage

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Old 07-28-2008, 01:57 AM   #10
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Not worried at all. More bikers mean more statistics, but more bikers also mean a louder collective voice.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote