Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 07-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
elimental
fizzerriderextraordinaire

Moto: '98 fzr600
Default Grrrr @ this FZR!

i swear its the fzr from hell! So im on the highway coming home doing about 55, i had fixed the vacuum leak issue so its reving/idling fine now. Traffic comes to a stand still so i slowdown and shift down. When its time to get going i put it in first and the damn thing wont go past 10 mph in first, shift to second and it doesnt move pass 15. Took the carbs off, cleaned them good [just in case] and nothing still not pulling. WOT will only get me revs in the 3ks while in gear. is wrong with this thing?

http://myspace.com/elimental
elimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

need more info-how does it sound when you rev it? will it go past 3k when its not under load-like in nuetral?
Old 07-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
elimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
need more info-how does it sound when you rev it? will it go past 3k when its not under load-like in nuetral?
yeah itll red-line in neutral but as soon as its put in gear it wont rev pass 3k unless i pull the clutch about 25%-50% in. It sounds like its stalling when i dont clutch it in while in gear with the throttle open.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
Dnyce
flyin high

when it redlines in nuetral, does it sound clean, or shitty? u mentioned carbs, so start there. u might have a stuck float...or two. is it running on all 4 cylinders=are all four pipes hot?
Old 07-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Sounds like a weak battery because of something or other. my EX500 went through this when a magnet or three came off my flywheel and the battery got weak. check that out just in case.

could also be something else entirely. I'll trade you for my bike. lol
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
elimental

Quote:
when it redlines in nuetral, does it sound clean, or shitty? u mentioned carbs, so start there. u might have a stuck float...or two. is it running on all 4 cylinders=are all four pipes hot?
all 4 running, i checked the floats for play before i screwed in the bowls. Sounds clean when i run it and starts right up so i dont think its the battery. I'll check the voltage on it though just to be safe, but i really dont think its the battery.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
Dnyce
flyin high

you can get a stuck float at anytime, even right after u put it together, just fyi.

but it sounds clean, runs on all four, so thats out...next id look at electrical or clutch... coulda broke a plate maybe....

could still be carb related...getting gas and everything?

honestly have no clue, just going thru what i would do if i were u. never wrenched on a yammi b4, but carbs are carbs.

you could have a bad fuel filter
could have bad gas
could have gotten some trash in the carbs did u take em all apart and blow em out or just drop the bowls?
could have a bad/intermittent electrical connection to the coils or ignition.
clutch problems-check the adjustment on the cable, and i think fzr's have another adjustment where the cable goes into the case, and check the plates.
could be battery related-check voltage with it off, and then make sure its charging when running.

thats all i can think of for now. i know alot about old kawi's and suzuki's, not so much in the old yamaha repertoire
Old 07-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #8
elimental

Quote:
you can get a stuck float at anytime, even right after u put it together, just fyi.

but it sounds clean, runs on all four, so thats out...next id look at electrical or clutch... coulda broke a plate maybe....

could still be carb related...getting gas and everything?

honestly have no clue, just going thru what i would do if i were u. never wrenched on a yammi b4, but carbs are carbs.

you could have a bad fuel filter
could have bad gas
could have gotten some trash in the carbs did u take em all apart and blow em out or just drop the bowls?
could have a bad/intermittent electrical connection to the coils or ignition.
clutch problems-check the adjustment on the cable, and i think fzr's have another adjustment where the cable goes into the case, and check the plates.
could be battery related-check voltage with it off, and then make sure its charging when running.

thats all i can think of for now. i know alot about old kawi's and suzuki's, not so much in the old yamaha repertoire
i really appreciate it, going to swap the spark plugs tomorrow just in case i rather start with the cheaper things and work my way up. gas is fresh i pumped a few days ago, took the carbs completely apart, didnt separate them from eachother, but every moving part was cleaned. I know there is an adjustment at the case which i will get into tomorrow.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
Dnyce
flyin high

totally forgot plugs-should be cheap for your bike, could have a dead one
Old 07-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

It revs to redline in neutral, but not in gear? If it won't rev in gear, it sounds like the chain is too tight or the brakes are dragging. Maybe somethings wrong with the clutch or trans. Too bad you don't have a centerstand. I would put the bike on stands or a milk crate to check how the wheels spin first.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote