Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 02-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Rented a Chevy Malibu and a Chevy Impala recently.

I have a disclaimer, I am a big dude.

The Malibu, I liked, it drove very well and was very responsive. Good acceleration, very good handling, and surprisingly good mileage too. Very well laid out interior, excellent storage, and excellent fit/finish quality and appearance on the gauges. My only gripes were the seat, which was nicely bolstered, was a bit too narrow for my wide american ass and the door area was a little small for me. It made ingress and egress a little annoying. Really liked the car overall, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a four-door grocery getter that's also fun to drive.

The Impala? Too big, too soft. Seats weren't very comfortable, no bolstering at all. Handled predictably, but boringly, with almost no feedback. Anemic motor, car struggled at highway passing. Interior was well laid out, and the car was roomy. Also got very good mileage (both cars got in the low 30's while rolling on the highway with an average around 27). Upside is it's larger than the Malibu, thus more roomy.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

Rented a Ford Taurus Limited.

Surprisingly strong motor. Transmission was fairly smooth although it felt as though it didn't have an overdrive grear. Cruised at an RPM higher than I would have expected.

Seat was comfortable but VERY firm. Interior was well crafted and layed out although the buttons were busy and not very intuitive. The radio didn't have a tune knob and it was VERY annoying to tune stations. There was NO volume control on the steering wheel. Dumb.

The exterior styling looked like a giant passat added to the chassis of an F150. Not very attractive.

Couple of things I thought were cool. First, when you turned the key off, the seat scooted back to make it easier to get out and get back in. When you got back in, the seat returned to your preset position. Second, you could raise and lower the brake pedal. I HATE cars where the pedal is too low or too high.

--Erik Buell

FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

So, I decided to give a Hyundai a try........Or rather, I was forced to, since I arrived late and was given a crap car instead of the one I requested.

Anyway it was an Elantra with the standard 2.0........The engine was shit, no power at all, and it was very boomy from as low as 3000 rpm. Brakes were powerful, but came on WAY too abruptly, making it difficult to drive smoothly.

Inside, the dash followed today's "pregnant" styling custom, where the center stack bulges out like a pregnant tummy in the middle and then recedes towards the bottom...........personally I think this styling tactic is ugly, I don't like rounded bulges.....I would rather have the center stack go in one straight plane towards the shifter.

Two thumbs up for the climate control knobs, they were very simple and easy to understand, unlike a lot of other cars.

Gauges were good, I like blue better than red or green. Steering wheel was a proper 3-spoke, but the spokes could have been higher because I like my thumbs to be up higher at 10 and 2.

Last edited by Homeslice; 03-16-2009 at 05:26 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Homeslice
Elitist

So, this is the 4th or 5th time I've rented a Pontiac G6. This one was the "GT" version with the 3.5 V6, which is an extremely smooth, quiet engine, but it would do so much better in a RWD platform. There is so much torque steer all the time, even when just doing roll-on accel or downshifting. It's so irritating that I'd rather have the 4-cylinder model. Also the transmission only has 4 gears, which is weaksauce considering that a base Jetta has 6. As far as the suspension goes, it handles good around town, but once you get up to highway speeds it's too soft & floaty. I don't know if there is a sport suspension available for this car, but it needs it. The 4-cyl model I rented a few months ago seemed to handle better. Also, on the highway the steering is too fast and so when it's windy you're constantly correcting it. The shocks and springs are weird because on the highway they produce a glass-smooth ride, but off the highway the ride becomes brittle. Even if you slow down to 2 mph over potholes & railroad tracks, you get this wooden clodding sound, which I've experienced in several different GM FWD sedans. It's a hollow sound that makes you think something must be loose in the suspension.

Last edited by Homeslice; 11-14-2009 at 08:03 PM..
Old 11-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Latest rental, a few weeks ago, was a Pontiac G6 GXP. Had good power but awful torque steer, much like Homeslice stated. The interior was typical GM - hard and uncomfortable and not very pleasing to the eye. No blind spots that I noticed. Was pretty good on gas, considering I was stomping on the peppy V6. Overall, was pretty fun to drive, save for the lack of comfort and the horrible torque steer.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Latest rental, a few weeks ago, was a Pontiac G6 GXP. Had good power but awful torque steer, much like Homeslice stated. The interior was typical GM - hard and uncomfortable and not very pleasing to the eye. No blind spots that I noticed. Was pretty good on gas, considering I was stomping on the peppy V6. Overall, was pretty fun to drive, save for the lack of comfort and the horrible torque steer.
They gave you a top-drawer GXP? I feel so deprived...
Old 11-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
They gave you a top-drawer GXP? I feel so deprived...
They've been hooking me up lately. They gave me an Eclipse Spyder GT last time.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Posting this because I'm bored. Pics of mostly sucky rental cars from a few past vacations. I just want to get around and don't spend much time in the car so no biggie to me.

Oaui...

Maui...

Big Island, Hawaii...

Kauai...

Heavenly at Lake Tahoe the first time...

St. Thomas/St. Johns...

Well I couldn't find a pic of the car...a Kia Rio if I remember correctly but these shots are from the inside of it looking out and yes they drive on the left side of the road there...

Heavenly at Lake Tahoe the 2nd time...

Key Largo/Key West, Fl....

San Francisco/Big Sur...

z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
So, this is the 4th or 5th time I've rented a Pontiac G6. This one was the "GT" version with the 3.5 V6, which is an extremely smooth, quiet engine, but it would do so much better in a RWD platform. There is so much torque steer all the time, even when just doing roll-on accel or downshifting. It's so irritating that I'd rather have the 4-cylinder model. Also the transmission only has 4 gears, which is weaksauce considering that a base Jetta has 6. :
Ehh...more gears is not better. I had a 2005 Malibu with a 3.5L / 4speed auto and now a 2008 Malibu 3.6VVT with a 6speed auto. I like the 4speed much better. There is too much shifting in the 6 speed not to mention banging at times. It's too busy. The 4speed seems much more mated to the 3.5L V-6. Not to mention the 05 gets 5mpg better than the 2008.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Ehh...more gears is not better. I had a 2005 Malibu with a 3.5L / 4speed auto and now a 2008 Malibu 3.6VVT with a 6speed auto. I like the 4speed much better. There is too much shifting in the 6 speed not to mention banging at times. It's too busy. The 4speed seems much more mated to the 3.5L V-6. Not to mention the 05 gets 5mpg better than the 2008.
Better in terms of not being as abrupt when it downshifts. If it has more gears then it usually has less of an RPM gap between them.

I can't stand how when you pull out to pass in some cars, it jumps 2-3 thousand rpm's. Having more gears would prevent this.