Helmet, moto jacket, gloves 8 11.76%
Helmet & anything NOT shorts and flip flops 0 0%
Tater's ex. wife keeping her socks on 7 10.29%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #41
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

I'm just asking what people's definition is - not what you actually wear. I define "full gear" as moto specific gear covering 100% of my body. I have ridden in jacket/jeans combo but not often. I'm paranoid. But it's paid off. So far.
someone wise once told me "don't dress for the ride, dress for the crash"

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #42
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

ahh but your mental state is perhaps even more important. spend all day thinking about crashing and you're gonna make it happen
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #43
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

full gear is ce armored leathers(1pc or 2pc), ce back/chest protector, helmet, full gauntlet gloves, m/c specific boots. the definition of "full gear" shouldnt change because its a hassle, or time consuming, so you can still be able to say you wear full gear when you ride.

i voted for taters ho cuz it was a funny choice
Dnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #44
Angee
Dutch's PITA

Moto: I ride Dutch...and an 09 Kawi 250

I agree with those who said armoured gear from head to toe. I have armoured jeans for riding that are just loose enough I can wear jeans underneath. I don't ride solo yet, so no track leathers (just a leather armoured jacket). I have all weather gear, cold weather gear and mesh gear...too bad we have all that gear and no bike...
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Those things are awesome. We gave out the clap and syphilis last christmas.
Angee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #45
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
full gear is ce armored leathers(1pc or 2pc), ce back/chest protector, helmet, full gauntlet gloves, m/c specific boots. the definition of "full gear" shouldnt change because its a hassle, or time consuming, so you can still be able to say you wear full gear when you ride.

i voted for taters ho cuz it was a funny choice
I agree with you here...the "definition" of full gear is always going to be a full leather suit,riding boots,gloves,helmet,etc. "Full gear" is what racers wear at the track and then it goes down from there...Plus,with the OP stating that she doesn't care what we actually wear...well,I'm not sure what the point of this thread was anymore.... I mean,I don't think anyone has argued what full gear is,the only difference is in what you actually wear to ride.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 01-03-2009 at 02:00 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #46
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I agree with you here...the "definition" of full gear is always going to be a full leather suit,riding boots,gloves,helmet,etc. "Full gear" is what racers wear at the track and then it goes down from there...Plus,with the OP stating that she doesn't care what we actually wear...well,I'm not sure what the point of this thread was anymore.... I mean,I don't think anyone has argued what full gear is,the only difference is in what you actually wear to ride.
A lot of people seem to think that "full gear" equates to jacket, gloves, and helmet. Seemed like a reasonable question to me.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #47
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
A lot of people seem to think that "full gear" equates to jacket, gloves, and helmet. Seemed like a reasonable question to me.
ALRIGHT! I feel an argument brewing....... There has been a great deal of discussion on the subject of whether perception=reality but I can't agree that the "definition" of something can be changed just to accommodate the whim of an individual. It's similar in scope to how people will justify driving after "only" having a "few" drinks. There is a recorded limit to how much you are legally allowed to imbibe and still operate a vehicle that doesn't change with anyone's opinion of what's safe or okay.

BTW I agree that it was a reasonable question until the OP came back and stated that she doesn't care what we actually wear but only in what we consider to be "full gear". As I've and a few others have said,I don't think that anyone will argue what "full gear" is by definition but there will be a vast difference in what each individual actually WEARS when they ride. In a perfect world,with ideal conditions and if I only rode my bike on the track or canyon carving,I would also ALWAYS wear full gear when I rode. Unfortunately,this is not the case and I ride my bike to the store,the mall,to work,to friends,to games,the club,doing "parade laps" around town,when it's 90+ deg with 90% humidity,etc and I won't always be able or willing to wear a full leather suit w/a back protector,boots,full gauntlet gloves,full face helmet,etc. Like I also stated before this subject has been beat to death on this forum and every other motorcycle forum since the invention of motorcycle forums. There is only one correct answer to what is full gear and many answers for what we actually wear.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 01-03-2009 at 02:28 PM..
Old 01-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #48
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
ALRIGHT! I feel an argument brewing....... There has been a great deal of discussion on the subject of whether perception=reality but I can't agree that the "definition" of something can be changed just to accommodate the whim of an individual. It's similar in scope to how people will justify driving after "only" having a "few" drinks. There is a recorded limit to how much you are legally allowed to imbibe and still operate a vehicle that doesn't change with anyone's opinion of what's safe or okay.

BTW I agree that it was a reasonable question until the OP came back and stated that she doesn't care what we actually wear but only in what we consider to be "full gear". As I've and a few others have said,I don't think that anyone will argue what "full gear" is by definition but there will be a vast difference in what each individual actually WEARS when they ride. In a perfect world,with ideal conditions and if I only rode my bike on the track or canyon carving,I would also ALWAYS wear full gear when I rode. Unfortunately,this is not the case and I ride my bike to the store,the mall,to work,to friends,to games,the club,doing "parade laps" around town,when it's 90+ deg with 90% humidity,etc and I won't always be able or willing to wear a full leather suit w/a back protector,boots,full gauntlet gloves,full face helmet,etc. Like I also stated before this subject has been beat to death on this forum and every other motorcycle forum since the invention of motorcycle forums. There is only one correct answer to what is full gear and many answers for what we actually wear.
I don't see why. The question is about perception, not whether perception = reality. For that purpose it doesn't matter whether perception and reality are the same thing.

There are a lot of people down there who are legally able to ride without helmets. Their perception of what 'full gear' is can be skewed. There may be some who believe that they are wearing full gear when they have a leather jacket on, but no helmet. It makes for an interesting dichotomy.

Then there are those who do most of their riding on the track. To them my Aerostich suit might not be considered full gear, because it isn't legal wear for most track organizations. If you aren't using a back protector, then they might not consider you to be wearing full gear.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #49
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I don't see why. The question is about perception, not whether perception = reality. For that purpose it doesn't matter whether perception and reality are the same thing.

There are a lot of people down there who are legally able to ride without helmets. Their perception of what 'full gear' is can be skewed. There may be some who believe that they are wearing full gear when they have a leather jacket on, but no helmet. It makes for an interesting dichotomy.

Then there are those who do most of their riding on the track. To them my Aerostich suit might not be considered full gear, because it isn't legal wear for most track organizations. If you aren't using a back protector, then they might not consider you to be wearing full gear.
*sniff* *sniff*...do I smell "LOGIC"? No fair sir,you have completely derailed my argument with your underhanded use of logic! Well played!

I will,of course,defer to your well put statements on what a person's "perception" of what full gear may entail but I must still vehemently maintain that any one person's perception of what proper gear consists of will not in any way abrogate what full gear actually entails by "definition".
Old 01-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #50
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

For the record I have seen a few people crash in jeans and they only last about a foot of the slide so if you slide more than a foot you might as well be in shorts. Cotton is not safety gear its for comfort and Q-tips.

At the very least you should ride in the ripstop nylon stuff.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote