Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-01-2008, 02:33 AM   #1
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600
Default City Riders, Help Me Out!

Hey guys, I know it has been forever but soon I will be out of Alaska and back into civilization!

I have several questions for those of you that use your bike as your main form of transport. I spent about 4 months riding in my college town where things were calm and rather safe. However after being gone for 4 months I will be heading back to Atlanta and for the first time, using my bike to get around the city. This provides me with many newbie questions for all of you!

First off, what kind of anti theft devices would you guys recommend? I will probably take my car on rainy days but otherwise I would like to use the bike to get around. Chains, brake locks, noise makers? Let me know.

Second off, I assume if I got something rather bulky like a chain, I would need to bring a backpack with me to haul it around. I don't even have a tank pack yet, so I could use some advice on various luggage options I should look into. I believe Icon has a backpack that I could even use to hold my helmet when I am walking around away from the bike. It would be nice if it were water resistant and maybe reflective too. Any brands I should look into? Any first hand experience?

Third off, after 4 months of being gone should I go ahead and chance the coolant and oil again? I did these things right before I parked the bike and the bike has been inside my mom's living room ever since. Not exposed to the weather or anything of that sort.

And yes, you guys can pretty much assume that your favorite newb is back.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:41 AM   #2
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

id change the oil and coolant, cuz your mom rode that bitch all over while u were gone lol

as far as locks, it depends on where u leave it. i got a bigger disc lock, but my job is gated, and i can see my bike at all times, its garaged at my house, or any other house i go to. when i come home for lunch, i park it on the sidewalk next to the front door...i use the car for groceries and stuff....and if some1 manages to steal it during the 10% of the time its out of my sight and not under severe lock and key(garage, etc) i get 5200bucks frm ins, and i'll get another one lol

alot of ppl like the scorpio alarms i hear.

Last edited by Dnyce; 10-01-2008 at 02:52 AM..
Dnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

First... Welcome back...

2nd, as far as anti theft... nothing is gonnna be 100%... all you can do is deter the "honest" crook... if they want it... they'll take it. that being said... disk locks are nice... makes it at least a 2 to 3 person job to steal the bike... theres even one that has a siren on it... can't remember the name. the big chains are nice too... but as you said quite bulky and if your like me... eventually you'll grow tired of it and leave it at home.

the backpack... I have no idea... I've got cortec luggage and honestly after all my trips... I'd rather just have the tail bag than have a tank bag... bugs me less...

as for change'n your oil and coolant... it's up to you... I stored mine from October through the winter in ND and didn't change it again before I left for my journey through FL and back up. I think you'll be fine... but check the levels... check your chain... lube your cables, check the tires... ect.

Take your time settling back into the bike and riding... no need to rush it and possibly get hurt.

Above all... Welcome back!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

My dad always said locks only keep honest people honest. I believe that 100%.

Now...GasMan has a nice set up on his chopper. I'll let him comment on that.

There are all kinds of good luggage out there now. Tank bags, back packs, saddle bags, tail bags. Find one that fits your needs and budget.

And def change the fluids.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

For great security, go with a Phantom security setup. its like lojack, but not crap. as I understand their system, if the bike moves without the alarm deactivated, you are immediately notified, and they can track the bike's movement pretty accurately, which helps cops a good bit. but remember, like many other things, there are only so many places on your bike you can hide an alarm, and all of them are fairly easy to access.

For parking it somewhere, I'd go with a Kryptonite lock and cable setup, run through the FRAME, not a wheel, FRAME. the wheel, all a thief needs do, is remove that axle, and BAM they've got a bike with one wheel, not that htat one wheel is a big deal to them anyways. frame is much more of a bitch to get the cable off of.

I use mine for daily transit, but mine looks like shit, which makes it less appealing to a thief, because in a group of more appealing bikes, or newer and better looking, mine will probably be like the Yugo in the back corner of the parking lot. aint nobody gonna bother with it.

changing the fluids is a good idea. never hurts at the least.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I have a Scorpio alarm. Just a loud tip sensor really but for daytime in a public place works well. I also use a small U-lock for my brake disk when I am gone for 8-10 hours leaving it on the rear brake and park the bike where the steering lock and the brake lock makes it to where someone would have to lift the whole bike to get it moved. Also park where there are lots of windows or people. Thieves don't like witnesses...

4 months away? Change the oil, check the coolant...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

The high end alarms and lojack systems seem to be the best BUT here is another idea.

A disc lock on the front of course...even one like this with an alarm that serves two purposes...one to deter a crook hopefully and the other to remind you that the disc lock is there.

...and this cable lock is not very heavy...about 3 lbs. but is still strong...

z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Thanks for the replies guys, as usual I am thrilled with the information that I am getting.

I have been away from my bike for quite some time but it seems like locking the frame would be a great idea. I can't remember if any part of the Gxsr is easy to get to other then the swing arm, but I will look over it when I get back.

I will look forward to Gas Man's response as I am sure he has a very innovative idea to keep his gorgeous chrome machine in place while away.

I intend to go on several late night trips out of the city to help refresh myself on the bike. It will be nice to get back two wheels.

I suppose I will start ordering stuff before I get home so I don't have to run around and wait for it like Christmas.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Also remember, there are several issues when the bike doesn't get up to proper operating temperature on short runs. So if your ride is shorter than 10 minutes it will behoove you to take the long way to and from where ever you are going on occasion.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
jeeps84
No longer MIA

Moto: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train

Change your oil. Check everything else. Buy two disk locks and sum good insurance. Stunting is big in ATL so bikes disappear all the time. Atl is one of the worst cities to drive in on this side of the country. Second only to Detroit.