Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #61
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider2k2 View Post
Where did you quote that from? I'm not sure I agree with it but anyway...
From Castor Troy's quote

Quote:
The reason there is less load on the engine in 1st is because the gear reduction in 1st gear makes it easier to drive the bike forward and reach redline. In higher gears the ratio is not so much in your favor and it takes more work. It's pretty much the same reason that if you have a worn clutch, it's most likely to slip in high gear
Eh....I think the reason most people experience clutch slip only in the higher gears is because those are the only gears they go WOT in......They're too pussy to go WOT in first

I was just assuming that 1st puts the most stress because it has to overcome momentum from a dead stop. You know how when someone needs a push start, and a bunch of guys start pusing on the car until it starts moving? Well, it's hard as hell to get it moving, but once it's moving, it's pretty damn easy.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:11 AM   #62
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Explain how scoring on the thrust side of the piston would be caused by hard break in?
I never said it was a cause -> effect relationship, I'm simply showing my personal experience. The guy who did the rebuild listed a number of factors, but I do know the previous owner put it on a dyno straight out of the box. The new top end has hardly coughed up anything.

Quote:
That's either an assembly error, manufacturing error, or the person doing this "Hard break in" didnt know the difference between "Break in" and "Abuse".
It's my guess that most people doing a "hard breakin" don't know the difference either, including the guy who had my Husky.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #63
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
From Castor Troy's quote

Eh....I think the reason most people experience clutch slip only in the higher gears is because those are the only gears they go WOT in......They're too pussy to go WOT in first

I was just assuming that 1st puts the most stress because it has to overcome momentum from a dead stop. You know how when someone needs a push start, and a bunch of guys start pusing on the car until it starts moving? Well, it's hard as hell to get it moving, but once it's moving, it's pretty damn easy.
wot in 1st is asking for a 12o'clock on my bike
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #64
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
wot in 1st is asking for a 12o'clock on my bike
WOT and low load redline are complete opposites you can low load redline any bike in 1st without fear of a wheelie....takes what seems to be forever to get there, bcause you're cracking the throttle just above idle to GET there, but it's how I've seen a few engines "broke in" after rebuild...especially 2-strokes
Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #65
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
On a bike this is pretty much true but that's how you test a slipping clutch in anything.
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote