Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 09-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09
Default Gasman any tips for HD

any thoughts of how difficult it would be to add air cleaner / pipes / and power commander III to the '09 with fuel inj.

wondering if it's a DIY project or if it's better handled by shop. I would prefer DIY but......
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

That is definitely a DIY project for ANY bike.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Agree with Rider.

But in Gas's mind, ANY job is a job for a DIY'er...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
That is definitely a DIY project for ANY bike.
Yep.

The only part that may require a shop is if the changes require a custom tune on the PCIII.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Yep.

The only part that may require a shop is if the changes require a custom tune on the PCIII.
There are 23 pre-canned maps available for his bike. One of those should be "good enough". Spending $300 for a full custom map is silly unless you are racing the bike, then yeah it might be worthwhile then.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
shmike
Follower

Quote:
There are 23 pre-canned maps available for his bike. One of those should be "good enough". Spending $300 for a full custom map is silly unless you are racing the bike, then yeah it might be worthwhile then.

I figured there would be maps available but I'm not familiar with his bike or the HD aftermarket in general.

There ya' go: 100% DIY.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
wildchild
cruiser

Quote:
this is the kind of info I was looking for. so you have used the PCIII?

How do you set it? instructions are useful for someone with mech ability?

funny I do all my own work on the cars and trucks, bikes I tend to stick to the easier end of things. brakes tires etc.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
this is the kind of info I was looking for. so you have used the PCIII?

How do you set it? instructions are useful for someone with mech ability?

funny I do all my own work on the cars and trucks, bikes I tend to stick to the easier end of things. brakes tires etc.
Yes I have installed them and they are very simple. Plug and play. You just need to decide what map you want to load. DL it to a laptop, then plug in the provided USB cable to the lappy and the PCIII and run the PCIII application. The directions are very straight forward.

The hardest part might be getting to the FI wires to connect the PCIII, but on a V-twin it's probably easier than an I-4. Don't forget to attach the battery wire.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

This will be a shock to some. But what i would do is install the pipes and air cleaner yourself. Ride it to the shop and let them install the PCIII and custom tune it.

The closed loop FI system will adapt enough to get the bike there. Hell it will adapt enough to ride just that way. Regardless of what the shop will say. The PC will give you better mpg, cool down the motor a bit, and give it better throttle response.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 AM   #10
wildchild
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
This will be a shock to some. But what i would do is install the pipes and air cleaner yourself. Ride it to the shop and let them install the PCIII and custom tune it.

The closed loop FI system will adapt enough to get the bike there. Hell it will adapt enough to ride just that way. Regardless of what the shop will say. The PC will give you better mpg, cool down the motor a bit, and give it better throttle response.
i thought of doing exactly that at first. two things got in the way. first I'm dumb enough to think I may be able to tackle this. second the shops I talked to (3) won't put in the PCIII because they know a guy who fried his ECM with it, they recommend a screaming eagle product that is $200 more and only they have the maps and what not for it.
I don't mind them recommending their product. obviously they want to sell the HD stuff first but when all three gave the same scripted story about a guy frying his ECM I become immediately suspicious that mine would have issues if I had them put in the PCIII. Not that a mechanic would ever do anything to sabotage a vehicle.
I think my problem is I spent a number of years riding metric bikes. I know who the good guys are and who the slimeballs are. In the HD world here I haven't talked to a service tech yet when I didn't feel the need for a shower after talking to him just to clean the slime off that he was spewing. they all of course brag about their shops but.............

I was checking out a chopper that came out of one of the shops. Got to talking to the owner. asked what he brought it in for. just a wash. Oh, I was going to tell you it was nice to see a bike as dirty as mine out there. they didn't touch his bike other then to hose it off.
service writer promised to make it right after he said something. do they really need to be told to actually wash a bike when that was all it came in for? mech had lost a little time on other jobs and was looking for an easy make up.