Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 08-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #51
Gunther1000
Jesus Christ!

Moto: (The Chi's lover)

I have had 3 versions of the 1k and trust me they all were beat to death with nothing more than oil changes and fork seals put in them. With over 80,000 Suzuki liter bike miles under me they are in my opinion the best built bikes out there.

The first frame issue i heard of was the Busa in 2002 and that was addressed.

Other than that if I were looking for a new bike and couldnt for some reason find a 05-06 GSX-r I to would be looking at the CBR... But again it isn't all the hype it is made out to be. I thought it would be the hands down winner this year but it just isnt. not yet. but then what is in Suzuki's future? who knows but dont count on them not making a fair effort!
Old 08-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #52
Vettezilla (Impala Balko)
FUCK IT. WE'LL DO IT LIVE

Moto: 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 blue/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
You do big wheelies? Bounce the tach of the rev limiter often?
I do ocasional wheelies not big ones and not long ones and I don't bounce off the rev limiter or rev excessively.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #53
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezilla (Impala Balko) View Post
I do wheelies not big ones and I dont bounce off the rev limiter
Extended wheelis can rob the cyclinders of getting oil. Could have messed up your rings and they are now passing oil.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #54
Vettezilla (Impala Balko)
FUCK IT. WE'LL DO IT LIVE

Moto: 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 blue/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Extended wheelis can rob the cyclinders of getting oil. Could have messed up your rings and they are now passing oil.
I edited my post... I dont ride out wheelies for an extended period... It only smokes when the bike is reved. Someone told me that it looks like my valve seals are going.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #55
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I have ridden both the 03 & 07 600RR, the 07 1000RR, 2005 GSXR600, and 2006 GSXR600 unknown year 750GSXR and the Stigs nakked newer model 1000GSXR and all are good bikes.

I have to say, based on my experiences the GSXR's are hands down the winner in overall comfort and performance. They are less prickly on power, have a good solid powerband across the board, are a more comfortable ride and their flickability.

Hondas are a more solid, clunkier feeling in balance bike with a tender touch needed in throttle control and a ride like sitting on a 2x4. The 1000RR i am currently playing with is like riding a bucking horse. The power is there, its a good solid bike, but taking twisty roads and curves it leaves some to be desired.

In the end, its all going to come down to user preference, but based on both technical specs and personal experience, I would ride a suzuki any day before a honda. I dont care if everyone and there brother rides one, I dont need to be that different and unlike alot of my fellow gsxr riders, i ride my bike like she deserves and was made for. No cruising the strip here dearhearts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezilla (Impala Balko) View Post
I know suzuki has the goods the Gixx 1k is always a top runner in the open class but my personal opionion is that I dont like suzukis. I have heard about frame issues from them in the past and have heard no resolutions to those problems via recalls, transmission problems, my Suzuki has only 11k on it and its starting to consume oil and smoke. What kind of BS is that.

Ummm, further down you admit to popping wheelies. Sweetie, they were made to keep wheels on the ground, thats why theres 2 wheels. If you want to ride on one wheel, get a unicycle. Asking your bike to pop wheelies, even small and short ones is asking her to break down and have issues. I'm at almost 10k on mine and have never had an issue (other than me crashing her). Not trying to offend, just stating fact.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #56
Gunther1000
Jesus Christ!

I ride 40% of the time on one wheel and even the 01 took all of it. Not bad for a "first year" model. And more times than not back in the day It would slam down so hard I thought I was going to bend the rim. That was back in the learning process and it has smoothed out a lot now but I still am rough on th bike. I would never think there was a frame issus with these bikes. Now Your valve guides could be that way from any number of things... like sitting stagnet all winter and in the condensation some rust formed or maybe an oil that didnt agree with them or maybe you had a valve tighten up and burn one to the point of scaring it a little. who knows. And a much easier fix than buying a new bike. Don't be scared to rip into that bad boy. When i Turboed out my 01 it needed a new head spacer gasket and I had to re-degree the cams with the adjustable cam sprocket I put on it. Not all that bad. Nice little Sat. afternoon project for a man of average skills and limited tools.

Last edited by Gunther1000; 08-14-2008 at 03:49 PM..
Gunther1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #57
Gunther1000
Jesus Christ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post

Ummm, further down you admit to popping wheelies. Sweetie, they were made to keep wheels on the ground, thats why theres 2 wheels. If you want to ride on one wheel, get a unicycle. Asking your bike to pop wheelies, even small and short ones is asking her to break down and have issues. I'm at almost 10k on mine and have never had an issue (other than me crashing her). Not trying to offend, just stating fact.

Bwhahahahahaha!

Sorry love, but where did you learn that? No they were designed to be RACED and in doing so, yes one wheel riding is fine! and is no more taxing on the bike than a hard start from a dead stop. How is it that your bike knows the difference from a wheelie and a large bump in the road?

Last edited by Gunther1000; 08-14-2008 at 03:50 PM..
Gunther1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #58
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther1000 View Post
Bwhahahahahaha!

Sorry love, but where did you learn that? No they were designed to be RACED and in doing so, yes one wheel riding is fine! and is no more taxing on the bike than a hard start from a dead stop. How is it that your bike knows the difference from a wheelie and a large bump in the road?
or going uphill.....

sorry rae, but dudes got a point. doing 12 o'clocks and 80 mph standing wheelies is bad, especially when the oil travels to the back of the engine away from where it is supposed to be, but the oil doesnt need to constantly surround the moving parts to be doing its job. Its extended periods of time and extreme angles that hurt the engine when it comes to wheelies.

a regular run of the mill power wheelie isnt going to hurt the engine so much as it does the suspension, or other variables (like shaking debris into the fuel line, disconnecting electronics, undue stress).
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #59
Gunther1000
Jesus Christ!

Thank you thank you, I even believe you would have to be one bad dude to kill a motor doing a 12 o' clocker.

I do plenty of 80MPH stand ups and maybe 1 O'clock wheelies (ask drewpy) and again no loss of oil or problems on any of my bikes.

I would think that a very high wheelie for an extremely long amount of time at VERY high RPM's MIGHT cause something but not a soul on this board is in that zone that I know of. Not that it is that hard but just not very common.

These bikes are very Bullet proof and I am not concerned with how you broke it in because you have nothing on what I'm about to do to it when I buy it.

You have to be impressed if nothing more at how much these motors take. Its evident in how much you can stress them with a Turbo or high revs under full load for extended periods. I have taxed mine at WOT for at least a full 10 miles at a streach many times and nearly for 1.5 hours on the way back from the gap. This is a regular thing for my bikes and its not even close to what it can take.

If you have ever had your bike on a DYNO and stood there I bet you were shitting at the thought of what it is doing over there. Try 30 40 runs just to tune your turbo setup under full or near full boost! Now that and then riding it like you stole it is maybe "hard" on it but its a machine with no feelings and could care less that you use 90% of what it is made to do.

Just wait 10 years and see what we have.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #60
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther1000 View Post
Bwhahahahahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
or going uphill.....

sorry rae, but dudes got a point. doing 12 o'clocks and 80 mph standing wheelies is bad, especially when the oil travels to the back of the engine away from where it is supposed to be, but the oil doesnt need to constantly surround the moving parts to be doing its job. Its extended periods of time and extreme angles that hurt the engine when it comes to wheelies.

a regular run of the mill power wheelie isnt going to hurt the engine so much as it does the suspension, or other variables (like shaking debris into the fuel line, disconnecting electronics, undue stress).

Guys, get a grip. The bikes are designed to have power and to lift when riding, but popping and slamming, draining the fluids while wheeling and constant forceful compression and whatnot is a different matter altogether, as is hitting bumps and what not. Nor did I mention anything regarding engines blowing from that.

I simply state that mistreating your bike and intentionally embarking on behaviors known to destroy the workings of a bike pretty much remove any valid reason you would have to complain about problems.

I.E. If i revved my bike up constantly just to peg it, slammed her around, etc, I would have no room to complain about engine issues or fork seals blowing, etc...

I have dynoed several times, it makes me cringe, but that would be why i let professionals handle that aspect...they are built to be ridden hard and ridden to the limit, but not to be mistreated. And VERY FEW people could ever ride a bike to its limit...unless you are a professional...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.

Last edited by the chi; 08-14-2008 at 04:47 PM..
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote