Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 07-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #51
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Come ride around midtown manhattan for a while that wiill teach ya few things
I can tell you that riding in manahttan is nothing like the track, however the bike control and the ability to maneuver the bike around does translate from the track to the street. Really though while it will make you a better rider on the street, even in big cities and congestion, there is no replacement for just putting miles in on the street.

Dont even get me started on the msf course, that whole program is a load of BS except for someone trying to figure out which side is teh clutch
Old 07-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #52
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
Um, no. It's riding on the street, so it's street riding. Plain and simple.
Yes, by literal definition it's street riding on the street, but you are using it like a track. That type of riding is best done on the track. I am not saying I don't do it too, but if you want to practice that type of riding there is no question on where the best place to do it is at, the track.

Legal street riding, which I am referring to is a different skill set, it's basically boring compared to what you want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
Exactly.. The track lets you push the limits so you know what your bike and you are capable of.. You can then apply that to street riding that will help you ride safer on the street - i.e. a car pulls out you have a good understanding of braking, etc.

I would strongly disagree that in general Harley riders and cruisers are more skilled.. 99% of them take the MSF, if that, and then ride.. And I ride with a lot of them and in general they are a danger to themselves and everyone else on the street..
I am not saying they are more skilled, I am saying they are more controlled. They don't go blasting pass people on a double yellow or acting a fool in as high of percentage as sportbikers. The ones around here have basic skill enough to be good street riders. Something I am not. I generally piss off half the town when I come through on my motorcycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #53
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

You probably do that even without the motorcycle.

It sounds more like an issue of self control than skill in the way you are stating it though. You can make the choice to NOT blast past people, to not tailgate, to be a courteous rider and share the road, that only takes courtesy and manners, not skill.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #54
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
You probably do that even without the motorcycle.

It sounds more like an issue of self control than skill in the way you are stating it though. You can make the choice to NOT blast past people, to not tailgate, to be a courteous rider and share the road, that only takes courtesy and manners, not skill.
I would say courtesy and manners are a skill.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #55
the chi
Forum Coach

Really? Thats an interesting viewpoint.

I would consider them traits you develop as you age but should be something ingrained and taught by parents and learned as part of social growth. I know ya'll think I'm too nice and too PC, but for me, social courtesy and respecting others is a big thing, and applying it to my riding is just an extension of how I try to live my life.

Kind of a Golden Rule type thing.

I try to consider both sides of the matter. Do I want to be the asshole that scares a possible newbie off the road? And how would I appreciate being the newbie that was spooked off?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #56
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

I guess it goes back to the age old question to squid or not to squid?

I save my speed for the track and the track gives me a safe place to push the limits.. on the street I ride pretty casual unless its a back road or something and even then I don't push the limits i just ride at a moderate pace instead of a death crawl like you do around the city.. too many variables on the street to be riding unsafe.. and really i have better things to spend my money on than traffic tickets - like track days and tires..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #57
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Really? Thats an interesting viewpoint.
It can be both a trait and a skill depending on situation. It is something that can be learned or something that is picked up from environment. It can be honed skill and that is put to great efficiency in marketing and sales type medium.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:41 AM   #58
the chi
Forum Coach

I've been told I should be in sales, but I cant stomach it.

I see where your coming from tho. Practice always makes perfect. Next time your thinking of blasting past someone who's going slower than you want to be, stop, think about it a minute, relax, and dont do it. After awhile it should become second nature. Same with making an unsafe pass, or darting through traffic in a metro area. Ask yourself if its really a good idea to dart out into that open spot where someone could pop out from a side road and demolish you.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #59
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
I've been told I should be in sales, but I cant stomach it.

I see where your coming from tho. Practice always makes perfect. Next time your thinking of blasting past someone who's going slower than you want to be, stop, think about it a minute, relax, and dont do it. After awhile it should become second nature. Same with making an unsafe pass, or darting through traffic in a metro area. Ask yourself if its really a good idea to dart out into that open spot where someone could pop out from a side road and demolish you.
I have no interest in changing my riding habits. I think being an asshole in traffic gets you noticed and that means they see you. Which basically means hopefully they won't run over my ass.

This is just a discussion about street vs track.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #60
the chi
Forum Coach

Right. Even as a rider myself, when I see someone riding like a douche in traffic I secretly hope they learn a lesson sometime, someplace. Douchebaggery like that gives the rest of us a bad image. I dont appreciate being run off the road because someone had a bad experience with some other rider.

If you want to ride like its your own personal track, take it to the track, and keep it off the roads where other people have the right to some common road courtesy.