Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Sports Bar

Old 12-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #41
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Aw you're no fun.... Come on where are all the guys that called for a Lesnar walk away?
I have never liked Lesnar. That said, the Lesnar that smashed Mir at UFC 100 probably would have done the same to Overeem last night. That was his last impressive performance, and not coincidentally, his last fight before dealing with diverticulitis. He always talks the talk pre-fight, but in the cage his confidence hasn't been the same since July 2009.

I'm glad Overeem took it as easily as he did, but I don't think he'll take the title from dos Santos.
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #42
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
I have never liked Lesnar. That said, the Lesnar that smashed Mir at UFC 100 probably would have done the same to Overeem last night. That was his last impressive performance, and not coincidentally, his last fight before dealing with diverticulitis. He always talks the talk pre-fight, but in the cage his confidence hasn't been the same since July 2009.

I'm glad Overeem took it as easily as he did, but I don't think he'll take the title from dos Santos.
I'm surprised Lesnar even came back. I've seen people who deal with diverticulitis and it really kicks your ass (and removes sections of it). Having a foot of colon removed and having to shit in a bag while you recover doesn't seem like something that would motivate anyone to leave the bed, let alone jump back into MMA.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #43
Triple
uncomfortably numb

In other news, Fedor beat the shit out of Ishii this morning.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #44
Corey
AMA Supersport

Quote:
In other news, Fedor beat the shit out of Ishii this morning.
Snore. Fedor's prime is long past. He's back to fighting chumps. What a surprise. Maybe next he can fight Ken Shamrock or Tank Abbott.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Old 12-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #45
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Snore. Fedor's prime is long past. He's back to fighting chumps. What a surprise. Maybe next he can fight Ken Shamrock or Tank Abbott.
Agree that he's past his prime, but I believe today's Fedor would beat today's Lesnar.

Fedor's management screwed his chances with the UFC a long time ago. If he wants to stay active, who else is there for him to fight? Monson has beaten some of the UFC's top guys in the past and many consider Ishii Japan's only legitimate prospect at LHW and HW. Lumping either guy in with Shamrock or Abbott is a stretch.

Ishii looked TINY this morning. Probably due to his ambitions at LHW, but he looked 30 pounds lighter than when he beat LeBanner last NYE.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #46
Corey
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Agree that he's past his prime, but I believe today's Fedor would beat today's Lesnar.

Fedor's management screwed his chances with the UFC a long time ago. If he wants to stay active, who else is there for him to fight? Monson has beaten some of the UFC's top guys in the past and many consider Ishii Japan's only legitimate prospect at LHW and HW. Lumping either guy in with Shamrock or Abbott is a stretch.

Ishii looked TINY this morning. Probably due to his ambitions at LHW, but he looked 30 pounds lighter than when he beat LeBanner last NYE.
Agreed that his management ruined his UFC shot. I think they did more damage than that. They've used Fedor's name to pad their bank accounts at every given opportunity and squandered any chance of turning him into a hugely bankable name in the process. They've tarnished his reputation by steering him away from true competition in pursuit of their own financial gains. I'd almost be willing to bet that Fedor doesn't have the option of quitting, even if he wants to. M1 has him by the balls and will use him until he's of no value. Fedor may still be tough, but he's falling way behind the pack by not fighting competitive fighters. Ishii may be a lot of things, but he's not UFC caliber, probably not even Strikeforce. The heavyweight division is weak everywhere, but the further from UFC you get, the more the talent drops off. Monson had his day, but he's in the same boat that Tim Sylvia and Andre Arlovski were in when they fought Fedor. They were past their prime and on the downside of name recognition. M1 will continue to mine those opportunities to keep Fedor as financial relevant as they can for as long as possible, and the mystique of Fedor will continue to disappear.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #47
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
The heavyweight division is weak everywhere, but the further from UFC you get, the more the talent drops off. Monson had his day, but he's in the same boat that Tim Sylvia and Andre Arlovski were in when they fought Fedor. They were past their prime and on the downside of name recognition.
I've said this many times, but both Sylvia and Arlovski were top 5 when Fedor beat them. They fell off the map after getting stomped, which seems to happen to every recent Fedor opponent (win or lose) not named Dan Henderson.

He's proven enough in his career; I'll continue to watch his fights whether or not they are in the UFC and regardless of the level of his competition.

Back to UFC 141: can ANYONE stand with the Diaz brothers? Is there really no answer to the Stockton Slap?
Old 12-31-2011, 05:57 PM   #48
Corey
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Back to UFC 141: can ANYONE stand with the Diaz brothers? Is there really no answer to the Stockton Slap?
I think Nate is far more beatable than Nick. Nick is just a fucking brute. He can shrug off a shitload more than Nate. Not that Nate's bad, but he's looked more up and down across his career so far. Nick is just a tough bastard. I don't like either of them, but they fight. If they'd drop the thug bullshit and the fart sniffing faces, I'd like them infinitely more. Won't change them stomping people's asses, naturally.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #49
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
I've said this many times, but both Sylvia and Arlovski were top 5 when Fedor beat them. They fell off the map after getting stomped, which seems to happen to every recent Fedor opponent (win or lose) not named Dan Henderson.

He's proven enough in his career; I'll continue to watch his fights whether or not they are in the UFC and regardless of the level of his competition.

Two more inches closer on Cowboy's ankle last night and Diaz would have been night night. Diaz got tired and sloppy. He burned himself out way too early with all those punches.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote